Things that make us go... hmmm

I’d never seen those two. The Atlas in particular is gorgeous and I feel justifies that $350 price tag.

And at that cost, it’s a very fair price. It’s like the Preonic in that it’s reasonably priced for what you get; I went with the Preonic earlier in the summer and got a set of MT3 ortho caps included, which was nice.

I love the look of Atlas (and the name).
Was close to jump on the extras, but luckily I got a Preonic to test before and once you get used to 4x12 the fifth row just gets in the way of the flow. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’m switching from the Planck to Preonic because I realize now that the lack of number row drives me crazy, not so much for the numbers but the punctuation. I just cannot keep track of where I have the brackets, parentheses, curly brackets, etc. unless I’m daily driving it, and I tend to switch out to other boards too frequently to keep everything straight. I never miss the number row unless I’m writing code.

3 Likes

Same here!

The bottom left key on my setup is another layer which shifts to a numpad like layer. That’s what I miss on my FC660C.

1 Like

I’m really happy with my Planck base layer (left space is lower if held, right space is raise if held), but the other layers are a mess and not worth sharing:

keyboard-layout

There’s so much muscle memory for where the brackets should be that it really breaks my focus. I’m going to try something with the Preonic by shifting the QAZ keys to the far left so I can have two columns to the right of the zero and “P” keys and see if that helps.

Not sure why screen is open if he’s using VR though…

6 Likes

I wonder if he has an ‘upside down’ layer for the right half of the keyboard to type like that

1 Like

I wondered that too, but realized that I was overthinking it LOL

So I might be moving and I’m looking at apartments and just uhhhh, whats with this garage?

2 Likes

Ahh, so if you overdo it you go straight through the walls into your house, and if you want to use the car in front of the door you have to remove the other one!

Genius :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I could design a better garage than that, and I’m not even an architect.

Tandem Garages. It’s a thing. It’s a shitty thing.

It sucks when you have to leave earlier than a roommate in the morning and you need to wake them up so they can move their car out of the way so you can get to work.

These garages are used when there are weird space constraints :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Great if you’re living alone and want some extra garage space for a workshop

2 Likes

Looks like a pain in the butt if you have more than one car… No storage either :grimacing:

Amazing wheel judging from the specs, but for only 849EUR it does look a bit sketchy (similar wheels go for 2500+).

If it’s as good as it looks for that pricetag, it’s an incredible deal.

1 Like

So Drop released their Sense75 for preorder today and they posted sound tests and uhhhh yikes™
Drop SENSE75 Mechanical Keyboard Typing Test - FR4 Plate - YouTube FR4 Plate
Drop SENSE75 Mechanical Keyboard Typing Test - Aluminum Plate - YouTube Stock plate

5 Likes

I don’t want to be super negative, because it seems like they have taken some of the criticism of their flawed earlier boards to heart and made changes here.

But the price is absurd compared to nearly identical boards (a white one costs $100 more than a Sonnet?) And the sound… wow. It just sounds so hollow and plastic for something that’s supposed to be aluminum. And it’s that way with either plate material.

One thing that surprised me recently, I found out that the GMMK Pro pre-built had quietly increased in price to almost ~350$ so it is not as crazy of a price for the Drop as it may seem.

3 Likes

:upside_down_face:

It has Phantom stabs - **which I thought were plate mount, but they actually made some new PCB-mount ones to go with this keeb.

It’s a really nice looking keyboard - it does have that going for it. But dang… those stabs in the typing test sound bone-dry. On the other hand, it’s honest about what it’ll be like without any modding - I can respect that. Still - it would hurt to spend that kind of dosh and have it sound like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m really surprised they released sound tests without better microphones and stab tuning.

The price seems more in line with Drop and overall market pricing if you consider that stabilizers, Panda X switches (currently $1/switch on Drop… which seems overpriced), and DCX keycaps at $99/set are also included. Puts it more in line with NovelKeys’s aluminum NK87 at $225.

3 Likes

That is a good point; the Drop one is a whole keyboard with (at least ostensibly) premium switches and caps, while the Glorious is barebones.

Edit: the $350 version of the GMMK Pro does come with switches, caps, and everything else you’d need for a complete board.

1 Like

I thought they said the stabs were pcb mount but not surprising drop dropped the ball on that

2 Likes