TTC Bluish White (and its weird spring)

also, not sure about you but my spacebar is higher pitch than the rest of the switches, which is weird. I swapped the switch out with a different one and still same result :man_shrugging:

I only have one 2u Spacebar so I can’t give any input on that. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I just added a little lube to the top housing and it made a huge difference in that clack.

2 Likes

After some extended use with these switches in a full board, the spring weight, bottom out feel, and only having one clack per press instead of two started to wear on me (I still really enjoy the bump profile however). So I dug out the silicone dampener in one of the switches with a little flat head screwdriver, and it actually solved most of the issues I was having. The spring could compress more so they felt just a tad heavier, the stroke was longer, the bottom out was firmer and consistent with the top out. A little friction is added to the press where the legs go past the point that they normally would have on the leaf, but I think some lube will clear that up. It will take some time to fully mod and lube a board-full, but I’ll report back when that’s complete.

2 Likes

I took the time this weekend to mod/lube (3204) all of my switches, and slaped them into my Bakeneko for some testing. The typing feel has completely changed for the better in my opinion, and these are some fantastic switches now. Overall the modded switch feels like a less intense/harsh Zealio V2 to me with a long, round, snappy tactility (with the tactile force being closer to a Holy Panda). The bottom out is less abrupt than the stock switch, albeit not as soft without the dampener, and feels like a typical non-long pole experience. The spring is a tiny bit heavier as it can get fully compressed. The sound is more consistent now as well as the stem collides with plastic on both the downstroke and upstroke – granted, the sound signature of the plastic isn’t great, being very clacky even with lube (easiy the worst part of the experience).

If anyone wants to try this mod, finding the right tool to remove the silicone dampener was the hardest part. Tweezers (one side), paper clip, penny nail, and thumb tack all were a no go, but a 1/16th drill bit did the trick – just insert by hand, push down and twist a few times until you feel a little resistance, then pull that sucker out. Something I noticed while going through this process, the factory applied lube was very inconsistently applied, from none, to the stem arms and legs swimming in oil.

2 Likes

Hello everybody, first day here. The dual (even triple) coil spring is actually very prevalent and accessible in the Chinese market and you probably will see more new switches having them. The purpose of having a dual coil spring is to have a more consistent force throughout the key travel. I personally prefer dual coil spring in linear switch since I can feel the difference more, but it is still a nice touch that TTC use it in a tactile switch. I removed all the silicon bits from my bluish whites because I wasn’t a big fan of dampening only one way but not the other. Good news is that TTC has released a new version of bluish white that have dampening materials both ways.

3 Likes

Huh. Are these available on aliexpress or taobao or anything?

I’ve been using the Bluish White switches with the silicon removed for a week or so, and they are a top tier tactile in my book. I’ll have to be on the lookout for the fully dampened ones as well (I didn’t like having only the bottom dampener). Thanks for the heads up.

Not yet. These switches first appeared in giftboxes TTC prepared for reviewers and a few enthusiasts that attended a recent factory tour (together with 520 heart switches and silent red v3). 520 heart switches is available on taobao (might be out of stock already) and on a new ducky keyboard. I guess we will have to wait for a while.

2 Likes

No problem! I would definitely try it out if I can get a sample.

A little bump to note credit for this photo; check out his blog, especially if you can read Polish. Google doesn’t do the worst job translating, though - so give Mateusz a look if you appreciated this helpful image.

2 Likes

super late to this parade but I ordered some of these on a whim and I really like them!

Sounds like there was a mini-consensus about the “half-dampening” being a little weird but so far that has been the best part for me. I usually try to dampen (not silence) switches as much as possible and this switch works well for that.

Dare I say it’s a little bit Topre-ish on the bottom-out?

I haven’t built a board with these yet but I’m looking forward to making one. Thinking modding is pretty straightforward if I don’t want to remove the dampers? Maybe bag lube the springs (though the ping, if it’s there, hasn’t bothered me much) and lightly lube the rails?

edit: I think someone mentioned lubing the top housing to limit the upstroke clack and I’ll do that as well. As I tried to articulate above I do like dampened sound but not silent so hopefully this is rounding out to be a great match switch-wise.

4 Likes

Probably the best tactile switch I have used.

1 Like

okay, guys. You have me curious. But the thing is, I already have 2-3 thousand switches I’m not using. So should I really try these? What’s the closest MX you could compare them to as far as feel? I suppose you’ll have to imagine they aren’t 1/2 silenced b/c there’s no other switch like it.

For tactility, I like holy pandas and their variants but they are a bit too tactile for me. I like the bump of Bobas U4Ts a lot. For tactile, I also like taro ball (except for the leaf ping), and tactile lavender (once they’re filmed.)

I don’t like many silient switches. I hate cherry silent. I detest the Otemu silent sky things. Feel and sound terrible to me. Gateron silent are really boring. The JWK silent I’ve tried felt pretty bad. Too short travel and a bit too mushy. The only silent I like is MX zilent (cherry silent in a zeal housing… best silent switch for me with the drawback of stem wobble).

Are these worth a buy?

4 Likes

They were my favorite tactile for a while. I am now enjoying Anubis switches more though.

I unique thing about the TTCs is that I used them stock. Might have liked them even more lubed.

2 Likes

For me, these walk a fine line that I’ve not found elsewhere in tactiles: they have a nice, rounded bump while not being SO tactile that they’re tiring to type on. The lighter, two-stage spring is also a nice change of pace from the sea of heavier tactiles. The half-dampened sound profile is a little unusual but definitely not a dealbreaker for me. If I had to pick one and only one tactile switch to use, they’d probably be it. It’s a technically imperfect switch but an absolute joy to use.

3 Likes

I rock mine with the dampeners removed which will changes the feel from stock, but I would say they feel like less tactile Zealios V2. They mostly resemble them in the nice long rounded bump, but without the finger fatigue you get with Zealios as they tend to make your fingers slam down on bottom out (maybe that’s just me). They are quite enjoyable and so is the spring (I think it’s the same one used for the lighter TTC Wilds). I have a sneaking suspicion that the TTC Matrix-01 tactile switches that you picked up (alongside their linear brethren) will in fact be Bluish Whites with a different housing (maybe spring).

4 Likes

Sounds like something I would like but maybe I’ll wait for the Matrix-01 switches. Why did you take the dampener out? Was it the feel or the sound or both?

oi! I hadn’t heard of the Matrix-01s until now. Major selling point would be that they’re PCB mount while the regular bluish whites are only 3 pin.

i was excited to build a Seigaiha (no plate) with them but they are 3 pin and I am too lazy to do all of the things needed to use 3-pins on a plateless build.

1 Like

Both really. I wasn’t a fan of the shortened and dampened press, but the sound might have been the bigger factor. I’m sure I could have gotten used to it, but it really threw my typing rhythm off to only hear the upstroke when I was expecting to hear the downstroke as well. It sounds trivial, but I don’t think I would have understood it until I experienced it.

1 Like