TX Keyboards Switch Slider Picker

Got mine today, along with some transparent switch films (can never have enough of these things).

Some observations:

• it’s thicker and longer than gem holders.
  • its jaws grab the stem tip as a whole, ignoring the cross shape.
  • its grab is strong and secure.

I like it!

1 Like

Could I pick your brain on switch films. I have enough to do the two keyboards that I have coming in February. I’ve decided to go with Zilents, which I’ve heard don’t need switch films… but I’m wondering. should I still film them, if I’m going to be opening them up, to lube them, even if they are already a tight fit?

1 Like

Switch film affects sound and feel. For me, result sounds and feels more solid and firm. YMMV. While Zilent will reduce the impact of switch film on sound and, to lesser extent feel, I think the result will still be a plus.

As to Zilent already being a tight fit, switch film will make it tighter. From first hand experience with filming Zilent V1 and V2, I can definitely say Zilent with switched film feels better, albeit to a lesser degree than others. That said, all is naught if your sensitivity differs. It’s like fine wine. If you can’t distinguish it from cheap wine, finess don’t matter.

5 Likes

Zeal himself claims that films shouldn’t be used with Gateron housings, but me & many others have used them without issue. Basically you just have to make sure the film is properly lined up when putting the top on & keep your finger blocking the backside of the switch while you clasp the two together to keep it from moving. The two things to look out for are the film sliding to far back which will cause the slider drag against the film & create extra resistance. Or the film sliding to far forward which cause the two little legs on the back of the top housing to catch the film & push it down inside the switch. Films are finicky, but definitely make a big difference on sound & wobble if you are sensitive to them.

5 Likes

I use films in all my tealios and it definitely makes them better.

3 Likes

My zelios v2 had a little bit of play after disassembling them.
Filming them removed entirely this play, but it was a tight fit.

2 Likes

Cream is even a tighter fit but result is worth the extra grunting. Panda housings, on the other hand, are too tight to film.

1 Like

Finally got mine in today. Works very well for holding sliders even though it doesn’t seem like it would at first. I needed to lube mine to get it working smoothly though & almost broke it by putting the inside part down the wrong end LOL! Awesome tool it seems, gonna put it to work later this week with a batch of Gat blacks I got.

Just as an update: used this while building the Zandas from this post and it was a lot nicer than the jewel holder I used for holding stems in previous (light) switch-modding efforts! Similar to @Rob27shred it felt a bit odd at first but works really well. I should probably also try lubing mine :joy:

2 Likes

Lubing isn’t 100% necessary, but it does make it operate a lot smoother IME.

A little off topic, but how do the Zandas differ in feel from the Zealios V2 switches? You mentioned in the linked post that it’s an upgrade for you. Also, is this exclusive to the GSUS housings or would the YOK housings have a similar feel?

The YOK housings are similar (I have a set of Zandas made using Mint YOK housings as well) in feeling/sound; the clear GSUS housings are a preference for me because they’re friendlier to LEDs.

The difference is mostly twofold, and they both come from the material difference between Panda housings (nylon) and Zeal housings (some sort of custom plastic blend):

1. Panda housings have a deeper sound profile than Zeal, which I like.
  2. Reverberations during the tactile and bottom-out events travel/fade a bit differently through nylon than they do through the custom blend Zeal uses. This makes for a slightly more “even” feeling with the Panda housings (in my experiments, at least) compared to a “sharp” feeling with the Zeal housings. Note: I don’t mean to the actual resistance/curve of the bump/bottom-out, just the reverberations that spread through the switch and out to the plate/up to your fingers as those things happen.

There’s also a slight difference in the tactile bump that probably relates to the Panda housings having different leaves than the Zeal housings, but I’d need to do some leaf-swapping experimentation to feel comfortable attributing any particular difference to the leaves themselves.

2 Likes

I tried buying a similar led holder from amazon but the clamp is too big. What size should I buy that can hold stems?

it’s sold out but i found this one:

should be an old topic but if anyone buying the clutch pencil.
Remember to pick one with 4.0 mm. It works for me

3 Likes

You can find it on AliExpress under TR-4000 since it’s designed to hold 4.0mm lead.Which is close to the size of the stem cross. IIRC I paid well under 3 dollars and it shipped within 2 weeks.