What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I’m right with you on that one. SA was disappointing, but mt3 is the real deal. Damn that’s gotta be frustrating trying to get an error free set. Here’s to hoping my WoB turns out okay. That backspace error would drive me nuts.

2 Likes

Have you guys tried uniform row three SA? I also like mt3 better than fully sculpted SA, but I don’t like either one a lot, while I do like uniform R3 a lot.

1 Like

I have one of the Filco SA sets made by Signature Plastics. (Great deal if you like SA, and if you happen to have Costar stabs, the inserts are pre-installed.) I don’t think all of the rows are R3, but I believe at least all the alphas are. I like it more than full sculpted, but still couldn’t get totally into it typing-wise. Unlike my DSA Dolch set that I sold after a few days, though, the SA one looks so good I can’t bear to sell it. :stuck_out_tongue:

For me, I think it’s the shape of the tops as well as the surface qualities and texture of the plastic; for better or worse, I learned to use the spacebar in more of a brushing motion than pushing straight down, and my thumb tends to grip the smooth SA bars enough to disrupt that brushing motion and slow me down.

ABS MT3 has lots of texture and scooping to help me find my way, but is just slick enough for my clammy fingers not to trip-up from too much traction. SP’s SA and ABS MT3 are both super thick, but MT3’s plastic blend seems softer / more able to absorb harsh vibrations.

5 Likes

Bad photo - good mail day.

• Cannon Keys AN-C v2 60% PCB (x2)
  • Love me a good pack-in sticker
  • Mistel WoB

About the Mistels:

Really impressed with these keys - I think I have a new favorite for OEM profile, finally bumping-off Ducky and their lack of 65% support.

These Mistels are what I was hoping some other sets would be but weren’t; a totally solid, no-nonsense workhorse keyset that makes durable quality accessible while looking sharp. They may not have the immaculate quality of GMK, but they’re maybe 80% of the way there for like 30% the price - that’s what’s up. (In terms if injection quality, they’re even better than 5 of the 6 examples of ABS MT3 I’ve seen in person.)

I have two very minor nitpicks; there’s no Menu / App key (hey, Ducky doesn’t have one either), and it seems like these (and the Ducky’s, funny enough) have trouble gripping the stabs I’m using, which are plate mounts made by GMK or Cherry, can’t remember which (unlike the keys, they are a little different).

Little circles of adhesive vinyl over post holes made effective shims - though I’d much prefer to not need them.

But for less than fifty bucks? Man. These are leagues better than most keys I’ve seen in that range, and this WoB set is downright classy. The lines are sharp and the plastic sparkles in direct light, which I think is an indicator that the blend is higher in PBT content than Ducky’s.

7 Likes

My R3 SA Bliss is quite comfortable to type on, definitely prefer it to fully sculpted SA.
For the typing that is… But I still prefer the looks of regular SA :slight_smile:

I used uniform r3 caps from SP for a while. I loved how they sounded but was considerably slower and less accurate then on lower, sculpted profiles. I eventually sold them because of it. I’m very curious to try MT3.

1 Like

I also bought SA Filco set a long time ago.
Sure layout option is pretty limited (104/105 or TKL) but the price is unbeatable (around 50€) for SP quality.
Although I like the full scupting of SA profile, I also liked typing on uniform R3 profile as well.

Oh yeah, same here, cherry profile is still my favorite by like a lot

1 Like

Same, love mt3 and became efficient with it after a month, but still so much quicker and more accurate on cherry profile.

1 Like

I agree. While I am more accurate on cherry, I find the typing experience is improved greatly on mt3. and at least personally I value typing enjoyment above accuracy. It’s not a ridiculous drop in accuracy or anything but it is noticeable.

1 Like

That’s my favorite thing about this hobby, exploring all the different permutations of keycap material/profile/plate/switches/springs/case material/shape/weights/dampeners/foams/mounting systems possible that gives each keyboard a unique typing experience. You’ll never really know what combination “works” until you try it and it clicks, and any given keycaps can be great in the right setup.

I still haven’t found something I really prefer DSA on yet other than box pale blues.

1 Like

Got my batch of Snow Whites in from 415 today, they shipped them crazy fast! Seem pretty nice trying a few out stock & loose, a little smoother & quieter than NK Dry Yellows IMO. There might be something with these polyimide bottoms, if so that would explain why H1s were so popular. Anyways I’ll report back when I get some lubed up & in a board.

7 Likes

I heard one time a while back that the Mistel caps are either the same, or very nearly, as that of the Leopold caps that come with their own boards. Do you have some Leopold caps to compare to by chance? Because they do very much look similar in at least the font aspect, and I am quite curious.

Alas, I don’t have any Leo caps to compare these to, though I think they’d make excellent OEMs for factory boards. If I bought a keeb that came with these, I don’t think I’d ever feel the need to replace them.

Edit: one caveat - the spacebar is plenty flat, but it doesn’t seem to play all that well with all stabs, making some with tighter tolerances scrape against their housings. Costar stabs would be no issue.

Got my o-rings, washers, & screws in for burger mounting my KBD8X MkII. Then I also got that ALPS Glidepoint Keypad I bought in today! Really happy with the keypad, it works on a modern PC with an ADB convertor & got ALPS SKFR/SKFS switches in it. Which I have never tried up till now. All the keys except for one are SKFS whites (tactile), the Num Lock switch is a SKFR yellow (short depth linear) to allow for a LED. Definitely a pretty cool little numpad!

19 Likes

AEBoards Constellation arrived yesterday.

Built with lilac linears on the 4.5mm pc plate (its stiff). Sandwich mount only for the thicker plates, no gaskets.

Typing test with the above config, plus GMK keycaps.

20 Likes

Holy $#@! that’s amazing.

1 Like

Thanks, it is a pretty cool little num/trackpad. The person I got it from on ebay still has 5 of them left if you’d want one!

6 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Finally.

14 Likes