What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Got a cheap wrist rest to match my trackball. Trackball took a few days to get used to, but I’m getting there.

16 Likes

New to me, a ThinkPad X230, lovely 12,5" with 8Gb of memory, an I5 and a SSD of 256Gb.

14 Likes

LOVE ThinkPads. It’s a beaut!

1 Like

My annual girl scout cookies group buy order arrived!

Not exactly keyboard related except the crumbs that will end up needing to be blown off the keyboard.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

13 Likes

Tagalongs, man those are some good stuff there!

2 Likes

Switch day! Again… lol.

Soft Pandas from 1up. Truly pleasant bargain linears.

7 Likes

Let us know how you like them! I was tempted to grab some of these, then completely forgot they existed LOL!

1 Like

Picked up some Cherry Clears and films to make into Ergo Clears. I didn’t notice they were only 3-pin :upside_down_face: Not a big deal since I am using a plate, but I would have preferred 5-pin.

Grabbed a proper lube station too. I was using a broken hot swap 60% PCB for a while and it worked great. However I noticed with some switches, once broken apart the hot swap sockets would cause the loose leaves to move. I ended up with a few broken switches due to mashing the leaf when I put them back together.

6 Likes

That is one chonkey lube station!

Incoming trivia yammering:

So, I used to work in the signage industry, and one of the materials I worked with was acrylic panels like that. These days, it’s more common to use a laser to cut and engrave it - most switch testers and lube stations you’ll see are made this way. The cheaper ones that didn’t use a protective layer when cutting will have kind of a weird cloudy, wavy finish around the cuts, caused by vaporized plastic settling back down on the surface. They’ll also have clear / glossy cuts - and if the laser wasn’t dialed in just right, the edges will be a little inconsistent / rounded from melting.

But this one you’ve got? None of that going on. It’s got precise, frosted edges and not a hint of haze on the top surface - this looks to have been produced by a cnc routing machine. The process is dramatically more messy but its easier to keep consistent and the results look lovely.

4 Likes

Thanks! Being able to do a full 90 switches with this guy is why I picked it.

I think you might be on to something with the CNC. It had a lot of plastic flakes on the edges, luckily when I pulled away the plastic film, all of that came with it.

2 Likes

Finally got a an old WKL Cherry case that fits the replacement PCB I got! It’s from an old G81-3000HAU a buddy of mine harvested the caps from & was awesome enough to pass the case on to me. It’s pretty yellowed & has some marks I could not get to come off on the back. So I’m not sure if I’m gonna try to retrobrite it or just paint it. Either way pretty excited to finally have the last piece of the puzzle for this project!

13 Likes

Got this yesterday, but I was so busy doing other stuff I didn’t have time to post about it here… got my prototype! I was very excited to see this on friday, as it came a week ahead of schedule.

13 Likes

I don’t know how common it is, but water jet is a option to.

2 Likes

Indeed. My shop used a third party waterjet cutting service a couple times, when they had to shape a large piece of metal / plastic sandwich board.

We learned quickly that leaving the protective wrap on that material is not a great idea when using a waterjet cutter - because whatever grit they are using gets all up in there.

1 Like

Been using an X230 for about three or four years. Came from a W530, and a T60 before that. I’ve really come to love how compact the X series are. Nice!

1 Like

Lovely! What am I looking at?

1 Like

It’s a Cypher!

P4kcr3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yooooo. Awesome. Always more keyboard stuff to buy lol. My aluminum MV case is rather harsh.

1 Like

Got everything I need to start soldering other than the soldapullt today!

2 Likes