What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Got my own little green homie in from NK & got 110 hyperglide reds in from CK! The hyperglides are not so impressive TBH. They’re definitely are not as smooth as the early retools I got a few years back. Still better than your average Cherry MX from a worn mold, but nothing to write home about. I think with lube & break in time they’ll make for a fine switch so no complaints there, although I was hoping for better based off my experience with the previous retools.

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s a PSP joystick used for mouse.

3 Likes

I’ve dry designed a lot of boards but finally got this one made and shipped! It’s for a friend, gonna be a numpad and a 65% mounted using rubber bands around the plate, like so.

rubby bands working.PNG

Going to be putting it all together next weekend, thankfully everything fits and works! Never expected it to go so well on the fist go around lmao

9 Likes

Razer Huntsman V2 Analog. Came late in the evening, but I got it for £90 off! These actually rival the Apex Pro in terms of smoothness. So far, I’m loving the optical keyboard world!

8 Likes

The forward tilt on that hat is what makes it for me. Mine shipped yesterday!

@Kokaloo That’s so cool! Homemade dampened mounting system - all thanks to frickin’ LASERS

4 Likes

Got a couple caps I won in Kap Cave’s latest raffle in! I really dig the Blank’topus sculpt in particular.

3 Likes

My new KBD67 Lite with lubed C3 Equalz V3 stabilizers and 63.5 G [Progressive] Ergo Clears.

19 Likes

Some Gazzew Bobagum silent linears surprised me today. Threw them in my hotswap board to break them in and I am very impressed with them!

5 Likes

Gazzew makes the best silent linears out there IMO, very little stem or housing wobble, the pads are properly secured so they dont make noise like the silent alpaca ones do, and they’re smoother than silent cherries by far.

4 Likes

man she’s a beauty…anything you can tell us about that bad boy I would love to hear

I haven’t tried any other silent switches (maybe ruined any possibility of unbiased review in the future) but these Bobagum silents are really good. Very surprised by how actually quiet they are and surprisingly smooth stock. I’m excited to get my U4Ts in the mail if the quality is this good across the board.

2 Likes

The Gazzew / Outemu silents are easily the most quiet and among the most smooth.

The various higher-end ones made by Gateron are also quite smooth and decently quiet, but all suffer from the top dampeners being too short for the rest of the switch spec. Some linears more or less get away with it, but some don’t, and have weird pre-travel, top wobble, or an angled resting position.

My other fave besides the Gazzews are the Box ones. Not nearly as quiet but I like the feel and bottom-out.

3 Likes

Ha. I’d stay clear of the Epoch80. I’m returning it after a lengthy battle with customer service. The top is warped, the grooves on the top have some machining imperfections, the plate is about .2mm too thick for switches to clip in, and it’s not cut right. It’s slightly off so that you can’t even do the switches in the four corners to force it.

The anodization is great. The form factor is awesome. The board in truth, however, is a mess.

Long story short, I screwed with it for a week and a half and ended up paying $70 to ship it back

6 Likes

Oh wow! That is really sad to hear. I was interested in this GB for a while. I ended up bowing out since I got a good price on a second hand KBD8x.

Are you getting a replacement or are you shipping it back to get your money back? Curious how all of this is working.

I asked for my money back. They offered to send me a new plate, but I declined. Return shipping sucks bad. I have a discount with FedEx. UPS was going to be $260 to ship, cheapest option. USPS was $125.

I ordered this three months ago, and it just got here via Japan post :joy: It’s called a Claw44 and I’m definitely pumped to put it together.

Edit: It was three months not four.

9 Likes

That is nice at least. Man that sounds like a real bummer, I was thinking that the designer of the Epoch had a pretty good track record previously. I think they did a Chinese GB prior to the KBDfans one too. You would think they would have ironed out the kinks in the board…

And I’m pretty sure they sold a lot of them. Maybe I just got really unlucky.

And by the way, I still haven’t managed to complete the return yet. I’m currently trying to get an ECCN number to show that the shipment qualifies for an FTR exemption so that FedEx will accept the papers and act as my AES/ITN filing agent. Sound confusing? Fuck yes it is. I have no idea what I’m doing, but this is apprently what happens if you try to ship something from the US to Russia, China, and a few other parts of the world.

P.S.

Does anyone know what the ECCN is for mechanical keyboards? I’m thinking it’s EAR99 exempt. Gonna give that a shot. Only 2 more agencies to work through now…

2 Likes

Kailh Silent Box Pinks

The last example I was looking to collect before starting work on a follow-up to my old “Informal Silent Switch Comparison” post.

I’ll also be experimenting with lubing at least one - I imagine the results will be a little easier to love than they were for the browns.

12 Likes

I got sent Momoka Frog switches to review. Can’t wait to try them out honestly!

10 Likes