What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

In Oregon I have a place that can do it for $100-150. Given the size of the case I expect that would be on the lower end.

I’ve also learned there’s a company called Arlyn Cables that will also do this. Although I’ve never used them myself. Keyboard Cerakoting – Arlyn Cables

And yes, you can definitely cerakote over anodization.

Oof. That’s a bit much in terms of my budget lol. Thanks for sharing it though :+1:.

With a good sanding, a coat of self-etching primer, and a decent paint you could also make it any color you want. It won’t be as tough as other finishes, but probably will be acceptable for a general keyboard use.*

*otherwise you’ll get that cool battle scarred look of a keyboard that’s been ‘there’.

1 Like

TTC Hey switches. Initial impression isn’t great: feels scratchier than TTC Gold Pink stock. It’s two-stage spring feels heavier at top as expected but doesn’t feel as chewy as TTC Gold Pink. Closer to TX long springs with heavier top. Maybe that extra chewy feel is limited to low weight range or one-stage 20mm spring.

UPDATES:

1. Hate them RGB light tube/channel/whatever. Keeps getting in the way.
  2. Scratchy feel may be due to two-stage spring. Same switch feels less scratchy with normal springs.
  3. Yup. It was the two-stage spring. After generously lubing just the spring w/205g0, particularly the middle part where coil tightens, the switch feels pretty smooth. With stock switch, scratchy. With spring lubed, smooth.
  4. On the difference in chewyness between TTC Gold Pink and TTC Hey. TTC Gold Pink feels like pressing on Jello pudding. TTC Hey feels like pressing on gummy bear. I think I could enjoy suppressing gummy bears but, Jello feels better to me.
5 Likes

U can remove the RGB tube thingy

1 Like

And I got a JTK tray today that I bought with my bonus points @ drop.

8 Likes

It’s here, and not even soggy! (srsly thnx Omnitype for digging through all that moistness to pull out the good ones)

Something about the logo always makes me think of this instead of aesthetic minimalism:

12 Likes

How it started.

How it’s going.

I was right to question my judgement. This thing is very bizarre, the description of typing on rubber bands is right on the money. The keys are unexpectedly small as well. I need to test it properly but it’s an interesting curio.

22 Likes

That Return key though.

2 Likes

For those times when you really, really want to get to the next line.

17 Likes

This is endgame material, I’d definitely use one of this if I had one.
That return key is just… right.

2 Likes

The 1.25u (?) “Escape” key caught my eye. The combination “BackSp/Enter” is interesting as well.

1 Like

This is the thing - lots of quirks and oddities that don’t really make sense. I love it for its strangeness.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the Datalux SpaceSaver. Still surprised how they managed to keep making them until 2013! Just imagine the poor folks who had to use these. Strange little thing, but I’m glad they’re out of production now.

1 Like

What’s the story behind the talk of moisture with this set??

Omnitype had a pallet of GMK Minimal delivered that was wet and partially destroyed. Was a very sadge moment. They did an unboxing stream of some of the wet caps. It was pretty soggy considering those new GMK trays are made from easily degradable paper.

1 Like

Even in the soggy packages the keycaps should still be good right?

What did they do with the damaged sets?

They have to hold them for insurance purposes for now. I think some will be sold as damaged stock later on.

Yes, the caps should be okay.

4 Likes

I believe that they are made of potato starch.

1 Like

mmm… add some butter and salt and sounds like a meal

3 Likes