What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Gonna make that PC Heavy-6 looks so nice!

12 Likes

you wouldnt happen to have another, non pc h6 to test if usb-c port fits through the opening right? i want one but i have a regular h6
idk if the pc version has a wider port opening

I don’t I’m afraid. I could measure the opening on mine if that helped any?

1 Like

Instant mashed potatoes, with my keycaps? hell yeah!

1 Like

Heard so many good things about Gazzew switches, had to finally give these U4s a try.

13 Likes

Honestly, that’s the coolest looking keyboard I’ve seen in quite some time… I really love the 1.25U “1” key - - something about says that it’s, well #1. :wink: (Sorry couldn’t resist.)

Some niffy soft touch slip joint pliers for those bent stab wires.

They have these cutouts (top and bottom) that make gripping the wire way too easy.

19 Likes

Really curious to hear about your results with these!

2 Likes

Dude. These are freaking great!

You know how when first testing wire straightness, you can sort of tell how much force you’re going to need to bend the wire whichever way you need to – well forget all that. There’s so much grip and leverage when using the right angle part of the cutout, it takes no more than a wrist twitch to get them perfect.

Plus no more rebending because your grip was weird and caused the other side to bend when bending the side you were trying to bend in the first place. Ugh.

14 Likes

Do you have a link for these? I have a bunch of C³ stab wires that desperately need straightening.

3 Likes

Sure do bud.

https://www.amazon.com/SH-165S-Non-marring-Plastic-Touch-Pliers/dp/B002LE74G6

5 Likes

Fun mail day today. :3

• Gateron Azure Dragons

• Buger • Work BBOX60 case; C64 throwback version

8 Likes

How do those Azure Dragons feel? I’m totally clueless on even what type of switches they are (linear, tactile, maybe clicky?)

They’re a fairly snappy long-pole medium-heavy tactile. Definitely on the sharp side, as opposed to being rounded. Good return thanks to a long spring.

Not the most intense switch out there, but seems on the aggressive side compared with some loose extras I have here. Kono Midnights and Moyu Blacks are more extra than these. Tecsee Corals and TKC Dragonfruits less so. Kiwis & T1s are about on-par in terms of tactile intensity, but those are more round. The Dragonfruit is closer in terms of the sharp character.

Unlike their linear counterparts, Vermilion Birds, Azure Dragons come dry* from the factory. Still, they’re plenty smooth - sound is where the lube will help the most, with the spring and maybe leaf. The clack itself is on the deep side, and the top housing has the GMK/North-friendly curve.

*compared to the Vermilion Birds, which are thoroughly lubed from the factory. There is a tiny sheen on the legs / leaf here:

I would call that completely un-intrusive to tuning. :+1:

The top housings also seem nice and tight with solid clips. Good first impressions as loose switches; looking forward to putting them through their paces.

7 Likes

Amazing write-up, as always. Thanks!

2 Likes

GMK Masterpiece came!

Comparison to stock colours:
N5 / GMK Masterpiece / V4

20 Likes

looks like they got the color perfect. Appreciate the comparison photos!

3 Likes

A quite large box! I didn’t feel like going upstairs to get a banana so Prophet for scale.

Definitely the biggest box I’ve ever gotten switches in. I’m pretty sure @Deadeye unknowingly convinced me to get these by calling them a less wobbly Cherry black (I’m paraphrasing). Side by side the sound is close - the Cherry is a bit deeper while the Matrix has a bit tighter sound, similar to the Ace that’s in the Prophet currently. Looking forward to giving these a proper try!

10 Likes

Things that already belong to me! Each is a part of its own project:

• Custom Polypropylene plates are bordering on unobtanium so I had my one desoldered from a Prophet build with Cherry Blacks so I can use it elsewhere.

• For the Polaris, I want the gaskets affixed to the case so I have the freedom to swap plates. Pulled the Gateron Ink Blacks and will likely spring swap them. I guess now I really need to decide if I’m going to paint it before I start sticking gaskets on it.

Bonus: Spare stabs!

6 Likes

Some SP 2u DSA keycaps. These will greatly take the headache out of aligning PCB-mount switches properly before soldering.

5 Likes