What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Update: they were

10 Likes

NK_ Dreams

AKA the lazy personā€™s Cream - and I sure can appreciate when somebody else does the tedious part(s).

These are bleached-white Creams broken-in from the factory at around 600,000 actuations.

Iā€™ve never been patient enough to wear mine in, and havenā€™t tried ones put through a machine before, so this is my first experience with a batch of broken-in POM switches. (I managed to break-in a single Cream by using it as a fidget toy for a few weeks, but yeah.)

Iā€™m not in a position to compare these to traditionally broken-in Creams, either pre or post re-tool, but I can definitely tell a difference between these Dreams and all the other Creams I have laying around.

So far it seems like what youā€™d expect;

• Very low to no grain feel in the travel
  • A bit more wobble than otherwise stock Creams
  • They smell funny, as is tradition
  • Creamiest stock Creams yet!

If classic Creams have the color of canvas or maybe a sweet drink with coffee, Dreams look like straight non-dairy creamer.

Retracted*

They do feel dry - because they are - but itā€™s an exceptionally clean dry. They are essentially dry-lubricated and polished by the tiny particles that rub-off with friction, so it makes sense these leave behind the scratchy texture their fresh-from-the-mold siblings are known for.

*Edit: lol, nope I was wrong, these are not dry at all and are lightly lubed with grease.

That said, Iā€™m really looking forward to lubing these *with something better once Iā€™ve reviewed them in stock form.

13 Likes

I got some today too, but Iā€™m not home to test them. I own a batch from the first release, a batch of OG Nolives, and some blue launch edition. Iā€™ll be interested to see how they compare to launch edition because that switch is remarkably smoother than the previous batches I have.

2 Likes

Interesting. Those black residues are also there after polishing switches with diamond paste. Guess they injected light lube without cleaning the stem.

1 Like

So something interesting I found today; Dreams do not use the same stem that Launch Creams, Cream Arcs, and ostensibly new Creams use, but instead the same as Kaihl linears; more info here.

1 Like

I can say with confidence that I cannot tell the difference in smoothness between stock creams (launch edition) and these new broken in ā€œdreamā€ switches. Rather disappointing but not surprised.

If you put these up to your ear and press you can tell there is less friction. However, once you put them in a board and type like a normal human being, the difference in not really noticeable.

The new dreams seem to have more north/south wobble than previous creams.

Sound profile is pretty much the same. Perhaps deeper, but that could just be the lube.

It seems the tops are tighter, which is always good. So thereā€™s one plus.

I would not recommend spending the extra money for these if you were hoping for something vastly superior to creams.

I need to get a full board of these to check for consistency. It could be the case that they are, as a whole, more consistently smooth than previous creams. I say that because I have noticed that some of my boards with creams have a handful of switches that are noticeably scratchier.

7 Likes

But you like to do experiments so you should investigate. :wink:

A much-needed reminder ā€” Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Summary

5 Likes

I tried polishing Cream with diamond paste but result wasnā€™t that great. And, unlike other switches, Creams donā€™t take much time to feel really smooth after lubing so Dream is really for inexperienced users gullible to initial impressions.

There are top two linear switches for whom sound is most important: Cherry Black and NK Cream. People who go gaga over new switches and recolors are missing out big time IMO.

1 Like

100%. That stuff is the same switch in different colors and with a small difference in materials.

Oh, I was referring to the BDZ :upside_down_face:

doh. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I actually like the grainy feel, do they still suffer from the stick-slip phenomenon?

No, I wouldnā€™t say they do - at least not during any normal use. Between being worn-in and using a different stem, I havenā€™t felt any slip-stick on the Dreams.

If you like the classic Cream texture I donā€™t think Dreams (or Nolives) will satisfy, but the Launch and Arc Creams retain it.

Shopad proto finally arrived. Time to chop up my 23u for the 2u 0 mod and slap it in here.

9 Likes

Got a really good workmat delivered today. Found two sellers that sell it, one was almost twice the price, but it seemed like it might be worth it, so I got that one. Turned up great, the mold is perfect and it sits perfectly flat.

9 Likes

PNPKeys Ingot66 in coffee brown. Been following this one for a long while and was super stoked to get my hands on it. So far, I love the sound, and the fit and finish is phenomenal.

The color, too. My phone canā€™t capture it, but in the evening light outside there were tones of iridescent purple.

Very pleased with this one.

26 Likes

Oof, this board is really stunning !

1 Like

Thank you, I think so as well. I purchased out of curiosity, having watched itā€™s IC process on GH, and I think Iā€™m hooked. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes