What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I hear you on the label. That would be a nice addon. For $32 it is pretty great.

I use avery fabric labels for my kids clothes, waterbottles, lunchbox etc. They take 24 hours to dry but then are very secure. Tried one on a different case with a similar texture. Adhears well doesn’t easily come off.

6 Likes

It’s been kind of a humongous mail week which isn’t quite over yet; more on that later - a couple fun things from today:

I opened this one at work. Work keeb says hi.

This little beauty is an extra DCS Paperwork Backspace key - which turns my one extra-versatile set into two fully-functional sets. (All my keebs use normie-sized backspace keys.)

This is something I really like about Signature Plastics. You can just shoot them an email like, “hey, got any [ specific key ] laying around I could buy?” - and they’ll actually take a look and sell it to you if they have one. T’was my lucky day here.

Speaking of Signature Plastics…

DSS Carpinteria came in from Vala Supply

I was ragging on bags the other day but I kinda like this one >.>

I actually appreciate they elected not to heat-seal the bag; I think they look a lot better when they aren’t torn, and I like the design on this one enough to keep and use it.

A bunch of Vala stickers, but I especially like these two little ones.

12 Likes

Tsangan, in American English, means Instant 60 from Cannon Keys.

10 Likes

Some stock smooth af Gateron X Linears with usable N/S wobble. They’re not messing around anymore. They’re done being associated with scratchy anything. No complaints except for a very fixable pingy spring. Also, it says the milky tops have a bit of nylon, which I think is what’s making the upstroke clack sound more rounded and with less reverb than I was expecting. Neat.

12 Likes

After the Mojo68, I decided to get in on the Kickstarter for the Mojo84- boy did it deliver fast!

6 Likes

Bad photo, good story -

KBDFans stuff;

• Some much-needed space bar foam
  • Modular foam for modding budget keebs
  • Bags with funny tags
  • KBD67 PCB
  • Designer nubbins / soft-ish keeb feet
  • KBD67 Lite top-gaskets*

*Not long ago, I mentioned the value of just asking and how much I appreciate it when a company will engage in resposne. Well, KBDFans gets a gold star on this one, too, joining Signature Plastics in going that little bit above-and-beyond that makes a big difference (to me anyway). :sparkles:

I’ve slowly amassed a pile of KBD67 Lite / V3 parts with various intentions in-mind, but I was dis-proportionately missing those little pads that slot-into the top shell of the KBD67 Lite. The alu case doesn’t use them, but I’d say they’re at least a little important for the plastic ones - and they aren’t for sale by themselves anywhere that I know of. One of my keebs has some pretty janky home-made stand-ins… they work, but I wouldn’t put them on a customer’s board.

At this point the little inserts come with the big middle silicone bit as a package, so most folks aren’t likely to end up in this particular pair of shoes, but I have a talent for finding donut holes and already had the middle bits sans little bits. Anyhow - I just asked nicely, hey, is there any way I could buy a few sets of top gaskets? A little back-and-forth confirmation on what I was talking about, and they agreed to throw-in the sets I requested for free with my next order.

deal-hand-shake

8 Likes

Probably the weirdest keyboard in my collection so far… the “Foldable Keyboard”. It’s NIB, but the switches (ATW Alps clones) feel inconsistent af. BUT IT FOLDS!! Even the flip out feet say “FOLDABLE KEYBOARD” on them as if that wasn’t obvious enough.

18 Likes

That looks great! Enjoy… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Big mail week.

The switch (and sticker) collection grows:

Some new switches here but mostly just new stickers; can you guess what’s in all the jars?

what's in all the jars
  • Skyloong Glacier Roses - Rosé wine-mom sticker

• Wuque Studio Onions - TOR Onion

• JWICK Taros - funky sliced taro root

• DK Blueys - hadn’t heard of the show until the switches, but the quote is fun

• TTC Silent Bluish Whites - Buddha gesturing silence

• TTC Bluish Whites - A flower that is white, but a little blue-ish

• TKC Blackberries - Blackberries

• Wuque Studio Auroa Clears - I’d never heard of Aurora Aksnes before finding this neat sticker, she seems neat-o

• NK_ Silk Olivias - it was a toss-up between this and the wine-mom sticker, this seemed a little more appropriate

• NK_ Silk Emeralds - dew it

• Gateron Baby Kangaroos - joey

• Kailh Box Jellyfish Clickies - a box jellyfish eyyy

A couple more new stickers that missed the family photo:

one of these is easy, maybe not the other
  • Archon Art Box Browns - Pantone Coffee swatch sticker

• JWICK Nylon T1s - John Wick

A couple new switch sets I haven’t yet found the perfect stickers for:

• TTC Silent Brown V2s - a lot like Silent Bluish Whites, but a bit more mellow, less punchy. A little more metallic noise, maybe. There are many silent browns, but this one might end up my favorite.

• Chosfox Pink Unicorns - TL;DR: slip-stick city and look like Pepto-Bismol covered flamingos.

Okay, these have me scratching my head a bit. The sales page says these are linear (which is true) but then shows a tactile force curve. The page also says these are factory lubed - which as far as I can tell is false - which is actually unusual for Kailh Box switches. Most of them at least come with the actuating leg lubed. I haven’t broken out the magnifier just yet but those stems and rails look dry as can be to me - and they feel it, too.

These have the characteristic all-POM slip-stick effect, but more than I’ve felt it on any other switch. I’m assuming much of this will go away with lube and/or use, but it’s definitely notable out of the bag. The feel weird. Gummy, almost - but it’s just the plastic friction. Put them in a switch tester that’s a little too tight and they won’t operate at all.

Edit: there actually is a blob of grease in there - it doesn’t seem to do much. It also looks like most of it is in the bottom housing floor - I’ll dig into this more.

New keeb came today, too:

NuPhy Halo65 with wrist rest & Gateron Baby Kangaroos

It’s a pre-built 65% with wired, wireless dongle, and bluetooth modes. It ships with a selection of Gateron Pro 2.0 switches, including the 'roos. The case is a combination of plastic and aluminum, and I think it looks pretty sharp - especially with that wrist rest.

Apparently the 'roo units shipped a little late due to some QC business, but the delay was pretty tame as far as keeb space is concerned. This keeb features “KOP” profile keycaps, which are pretty similar to OEM, maybe a little shorter, flatter, and with more rounded top corners. They’re double-shot PBT, maybe some kind of blend - they feel nice, and sound nice, too.

Aside from looking like an alternate-universe 90’s Apple keyboard (where they went MX instead of dome sheet), I think the design is pretty sharp in its own right. It also looks like it could come right off the desk of a late-80’s space-anime hero, and mixes well with weeb disco.

daft

It manages to feel premium without being overly pretentious. True to its name, the default RGB appears as a halo around the keys, coming from a diffuser that wraps around the whole keyboard and sits underneath the top aluminum shell.

It comes with a little accessories pack that includes the cable, a combination switch and key puller that isn’t awful at all, a handful of G Pro 2.0 samples, and some extra accent keycaps for customization.

I’ll save most of the other details for a full review, but I can tell you this now:

• It feels really premium for a pre-built, especially a tray mount one
  • It sounds really good for a pre-built, especially a tray mount one
  • It has both Mac & PC modes (with supporting keycaps)
  • Probably won’t need the flip out feet but they’re there, and they’re nice ones
  • Pass on the shine-thru caps, unlike the stock ones they’re garbaggio (paint-on-polycarb)

I mentioned it sounds good:

IDK about you folks but that sounds pretty darn clean for a stock prebuilt right from the box. I’m sure the Gateron Pro 2.0’s are doing plenty of the heavy lifting here, but those caps and stabs also deserve a mention, I think.

In terms of making a premium keyboard experience easily accessible to someone who just wants to open the box and go, my first impression is that the Halo65 represents a total success.

Nuanced? Not particularly. Well executed within simple boundaries? Most definitely.

Uuuh let's see, I also got a few small sample-sized packs of a few switches;

• Chosfox × JWICK Voyager - smooth and snappy with a big bump

• Kailh Clione Limacina linear and tactile versions - meh? They’re clear and are pretty unremarkable amongst clear switches. Kailh makes better ones (imo) in the form of the Box Jellyfish switches.

• Kailh Midnight Pro Light Yellow - seems like a super-sold silent switch and reminds me of TTC’s; I’ve heard they can be a little rough on cap stems though

11 Likes

I know they cracked some of my ABS stems, but that looks like the newer revision. Maybe they’re smaller. Best test with some less precious caps or stick to PBT.

2 Likes

Summary

5 Likes

Some 60% plate foams from MKUltra. I’ve no idea if their foam is the best but I know how they modify the sound so I keep buying what I can rely on. While case foams have been replaced with poly-fil in my modding bag of tricks, plate foams remain useful.

10 Likes

My other Kickstarter Keyboard that delivered quickly. Just got in on the Kickstarter a couple of months ago, and got it today!

8 Likes

Welcome to Utoprea

I couldn’t help myself and got a ‘spare’ FC660C and a controller.

11 Likes

Pretty well! And sorry for the delay - I went on vacation immediately after posting this so I couldn’t get pictures sooner.

5 Likes

Genius. That is clever af. Good one dude.

1 Like

W1-AT with extras came in

14 Likes

lovely color

3 Likes

In today’s post. More exciting things to come soon, but meanwhile these are going to be useful for all sorts…

4 Likes

That’s amazingly good dye-sub. Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

1 Like