What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

CHOSFOX - DD Switch
** Linear*
** Top housing: Nylon*
** Stem: P3 long pole (13.65mm)*
** Bottom housing: POM*
** 52g spring*
** Manufactured by JWK*

Summary

8 Likes

Hooooo man, what a perfect match for my Gemini

Color shift from this:

To this:

Love it. I need an artisan for the F13. I thought it came with an F13 key. Oops.

11 Likes

The heavily discounted MT3 Captain America came in today. I did take a picture, but…

Well here’s what I can tell you at the moment…

• The colors look way better to me in person than on the site

• The colors are very hard to photograph accurately, especially the blue

• Even if these were scientifically the worst colors on Earth it’s still a $25 double-shot ABS MT3 set, it would literally be impossible for me to be unhappy with these

The blue looks darker and more rich in person - more in the direction of the actual US flag colors. On the one hand, I think the set might have sold better with the colors accurately depicted - on the other, I’m getting a glimpse at how not easy that is to do, especially with subtle shades like these.

The real thing looks somewhere between the more faded, lighter colors on Drop and the over-saturated, from-the-paint-tube blue appearance I’ve seen in most of the actual photos (including my own).

Drop render (under-saturated, too light):

MechMarket photo (way too saturated):

Actual US flag colors:

united-states-of-america-flag-colors-by-schemecolor

Real thing: somewhere in between all of that. :upside_down_face: The blue is more in that steely direction, like dark, slightly faded denim. The reds together give the impression of the real 'murican flag red, with the background color darker and the legend color lighter.

11 Likes

Round and round, back with Topre again. I had absolutely no intention to buy another one but hand waving and here we are.

But this time, I think it’s addressing the things that previously made Topre challenging for me: lighter domes and MX keycap compatibility. It’s a Hybrid with BKE ultra light domes, and lightly-dampened Novatouch sliders. It also came with CRP ANSI and I think it’s quite handsome with the black case.

I’m still getting a feel for it but so far, so good! The sound is somewhere between undampened and a fully-silenced slider. It’s tough to describe but it’s just enough sound to add to the experience. Overall, I’m really happy with the package! Looking forward to giving this one a bit more usage over the coming days and weeks.

15 Likes

One of these days, I’ll build a keyboard that uses sound effects and noise-cancelling to make any sound user wants. If aural perception is slow enough to do noise-cancelling in earphones, we can do a lot more with latency from distance from ear to keyboard.

6 Likes

I was convinced there for a while that the logical conclusion of the thocc craze was just going to have every keystroke sound like an explosion so maybe there’s a chance yet?

5 Likes

Yup. You can even get rickroll’d after every keystroke.

3 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve had a new keyboard day (30 months…).
Vortex PC68, MX Clears, Blue Base Space Cadet II, Dr. Click Artisan.

Wow!

18 Likes

Got my set of PBTFans Dolch today. I thought i would never buy another PBTFans set again after my current Purpolch set has started to be more smooth and shine so quickly, but i just can’t say no to dolch sets. Maybe i will have better luck with this set. Well, after unwarping the spacebars…

8 Likes

Whatever you do, the keyset looks amazing in these. I didn’t realize how cool this set could look. Missed the poll, but I prefer them on the Silver Sessantacinque.

NovelKeys Cherry RAW, added to stock Gateron CJs on a KBD67 Lite. Dialing in blue underglow…now.

11 Likes

I have a few of their PBT sets now and I must admit, there’s problems. I’m definitely way more hesitant to pick up anymore these days. I do want that Classic Hangul set though, but that’ll be ABS.

1 Like

Personal preference, but I’m quite fond of shine and might consider picking a set up in the near future. I wonder what shiny PBT looks like…

2 Likes

Three bags of 21kb-goodness arrived today:

Two sets of Irish Classic Retro with green sublegends
One set of Classic Retro Black(Text)

11 Likes

Someone posted a rundown of PBT blends here not too long ago… anyway, it was very interesting, but the upshot is it’s possible they actually are a PBT/ABS blend to try to mitigate some of the difficulties shaping PBT. FWIW my PBT sets from NovelKeys, CannonKeys, and Omnitype feel fully PBT to me. I haven’t had any of them shine, but I haven’t been using them long enough to really tell, either. I would not be surprised if my Kinetic Labs set has some ABS, since they have a sharper sound and are very smooth, but I do really like them.

1 Like

Picked up some JWICK T1 tactiles based on @Deadeye’s recommendation. I agree with his assessment that they’re shockingly good in stock form and particularly so at $0.24/switch. They have strong, smooth tactility, great consistency across the switches, and sound great.

I should also note that I ordered these from Poverty Keys at 2 AM on Saturday and they were at my house by dinner time on Monday. Great experience with this vendor!

8 Likes

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the switches, @ListlessLlama!

The missing goodies from Kono have arrived.

• Romly’s super neato book in English

• Accompanying tester because it’s cool

• Nightcall switches; JWK silent linears with glowy stems

7 Likes

@chono mail! Carrots 60g for my TKL and a bunch of new merch from Type Nyoom. Forgot I also have to re-silence the board so wish me luck. Back to my #5 life…

9 Likes

Wow, great find.Those keycaps look really nice.

I hope it grows on you.

1 Like