What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

DCX Hyperfuse (arrived today) on my Brutal65 v2

10 Likes

200 switches disassemble and my hands don’t feel wrecked.
The Domo switch opener is worth every penny.

9 Likes

Oh man, how’s that work? Frankenswitching or lube prepping?

This guy’s set must’ve been sorted a bot, too!

2 Likes

Lubing to get rid of spring ping.

8 Likes

If not sure if this was the original/main intention (Model Ms inherited curved assemblies from Model Fs), but it allows for all buckling spring keycaps to be uniprofile. True from the first IBM Model F in 1981 to the latest Unicomp Model M produced last week, the keycaps are fully interchangeable between them and to any row (given matching unit size and correct stabiliser design). [The only exception are low-profile versions of Model Ms such as the Models M1 and M2.]

It’s possible IBM had consideration for anyone wanting to change their keyboard’s layout at will - it allows any user to change from QWERTY to AZERTY, QWERTZ, Dvorak, etc. and vice versa themselves without worrying about sculpt mismatch - but I have no confirmed source for that. It could just be a happy accident. Whatever the reason, I’m just thankful that my Model Fs and Model Ms can enjoy a 42-year backlog of replacement keycaps no matter when they were made!

1 Like

Thanks @pixelpusher & @hellla for pointing that out. This is a very worrying trend. On a SA profile, chances of receiving a faulty numerals set are roughly 50%!

CHECK YOUR 6’es AND 9’s, YOU’ALL !!!

6 Likes

It reminds me a bought an XDA Matcha set from Aliexpress, the mass produced one.

I had it sitting aside for months and when I first mounted it on a board I realized I got two ‘F9’, with no ‘9’ keycap, I sent a message to the vendor thinking why not try? this was months after receiving it.

To my surprise they didn’t even ask a question and sent me a replacement right away.

5 Likes

Cool tool! Where would you recommend buying this magical contraption?

@ListlessLlama Oooo hope I get some TTCs.

2 Likes

Had to get some more NK Silk in addition to the Milkshake

6 Likes

It’s the Domo DIY Switch Opener Kit from Zeal.

3 Likes

Actually got these on Thursday, but they are finally all good to go OS wise.

14 Likes

NoFace Nakama from Pretty Petite Crafty

I’ve always loved Spirited Away so this was a must buy for me.

9 Likes

There is also this from Mr. Maw

I know, I saw that a while ago. So cool but I can’t really justify the price. Lol. Well, the wife can’t.

1 Like

Gateron Pro Milky Brown 1.0 switches just came in today! Had to get a video up to showcase since there aren’t any yet. Loving them in my Ciel!

Sound test below

9 Likes

My NovelKeys “random switch” dice roll resulted in a rather disheartening yet hilarious 90 Gateron Blues :laughing: Well, I knew it was possible. They’re different! Anyone think these are worth taking time to lube, or just see if a wonderful person here needs them for Frankenswitching? So much ping…so much… outside of the click itself, which I’m open to.

3 Likes

Tested my luck with the novelkeys mystery switches and got these TTC’s with a brown stem. Not sure which model they are since I haven’t been looking into switches in a while.

9 Likes

I’m pretty sure these are TTC Gold Brown Pro Tactile Switches. I received the red/linear variety.

3 Likes

I have some similar TTCs, Gold Brown V3s (I think these “Pros” are their successors and include some UPE in the mix somewhere) - I thought they were pretty underwhelming stock, but they kinda blew my mind once I lubed them.

Single stock switch close to the mic:

Tuned switches in a basic hotswap:

I got a second NK_ Mystery Bag today, this time some V2 Kailh Reds in the RGB-friendly housings. I’ll most likely harvest the stems from these, but who knows - someone might want an inexpensive generic gaming switch, and I’d have them covered.

4 Likes