What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I believe @ListlessLlama is correct; the K-series have a small “K” on the badge next to the “TTC”, while the “Pro” series has dark grey bottoms like these do. I’ve found the Pros to be quite decent so far.

3 Likes

Ah yes, you are both right @ListlessLlama and @Deadeye ! Those photos look much more like what I have than the k-series. And yes they were from the mystery switch buy. In my Hand they felt quite nice, but haven’t tried them yet properly.

While looking at the TTC website I came across these dome shaped top housing switches - have you seen/tried these before?

TTC Venus Linear

3 Likes

Yep; currently the Venus and Neptune linears. SwitchOddities.com has samples. They’re smooth and stable, but not necessarily any better than some more exceptional examples of the classic MX design - at least from what I can tell with an individual switch or two.

1 Like

Thanks! I was just curious as it seemed visually quite the departure from “normal” switches :relaxed:

GMk Boho.

Don’t sleep on this on if you like browns or muted looks.

Here some comparisons (Top to bottom):

Foundation
Boho
Cafe
Sloth
I don’t have Ursa, sorry :cry:

Natural light

Bright Halogen light

Last pic shows GMK noire for comparison to black

As you can probably tell, the set got a lot of things right. The alphas are the whitest of the group. Also, the contrast looks really nice in person. Not a stark BoW contrast, but nothing too muted.

The modifiers are a subtle, muted brown, and really close to the accent color in Foundation. Maybe a touch more brown IRL. Definitely not mistaken for black or gray in person.

The designer did a great job with color choices here. It’s a stellar set to my eyes.

6 Likes

Looks fantastic, reminds me of GMK Formal IC I’ve seen awhile back. but better.

1 Like

Mictlán Silks from the flash sale

Mystery TTCs - seems like most folks got one of these; the Red Pros and more of some kind of blue - has a black bottom but no K on the badge so not exactly sure which version these are. Nice for a traditional jacket-clicky :man_shrugging: Reds are smooth; more grain than the Silks but seems more stable, too.

5 Likes

Hello there over-engineered switch opener :heart_eyes:

It doesn’t solve my problem off fully opening (or rather not opening) Black Lotus switches, but I finished lubing them, and it does fine with others like the mystery TTC Red Pro switches, and all while looking pretty and saving me (and my fingernails) from trying to precisely press down on the bottom housing :blush:

7 Likes

Got a few things in today:

• More Kinetic Labs storage containers (4x keycap storage, 9x small switch storage)
  • Drop Mystery Box
    – Holy Panda X, clear variant switches (35/box, 70 total)
    – Drop Artifact Purple on Black keycaps
    – MT3 Cyber
    – Thanos Deskmat

Feel burned a bit on the mystery box (as usual), but at least the switches aren’t too bad (considering that with Keyclub discount + $20 coupon I spent about the cost of the two boxes of switches on the entire box).

4 Likes

With switches with light tube, like Black Lotus, removing the light tube first makes it easier to open them.

3 Likes

The CK x Haimu Pastel Mint tactile switches I ordered from CannonKeys arrived. Push feel and wobble are both pretty good with a pleasant return thock. I’m definitely hearing a bit of leaf and spring ping and some scratchiness but not sure if those unpleasant sounds will be noticeable when they’re mounted in a board.

Update: there’s a weird almost electronic chirp on some of the switches. Not sure how prevalent this is because it seems to not manifest until I’ve pressed the switch a bunch of times, but so far I’ve found 2 out of 36 doing this. I recorded a clip where you can hear the switch sounding normal and then some loud chirps in the second half of the recording:

5 Likes

Got some Neapolitans and Lavenders from CannonKeys.
A couple of syringes of GS2 as soon as it came back in stock.
An Evil Design Artisan tray while I wait for the ones I bought in a group-buy get shipped…
GMK Pulse (had Drop bux and Keyboard Club coupon to use…)
And, in my ongoing journey to have Aluminum Everything, a stabilizer tuning station from Custom KBD.

It’s REALLY shiny :grin:

6 Likes

Cherry MX Brown “Hyperglide” edition arrived. Already low-pitched but looking forward to finding out what RO-59’d do to its acoustics. I’ll also have to do something horrible about its noisy contact leaf.

4 Likes

(Mostly) Tactile Switch Day! Here are my impressions in the hand after tearing open a bunch of mail bags:

KFA Robin Linears - Keebsforall offers up batches of hand lubed switches at reasonable prices and these are incredible for the price.

Haimu Whisper Tactile - nice tactility and bounce. Might be the only silent switch I’ve ever liked. The designers gave it some extra upstroke power. Why not when the switch is silenced? This gives it some personality.

Wuque WS Heavy Tactile - great tactility these are a keeper.

Haimu Geon Tactile - light tactility - need more time with them. Meh first impression.

Gateron Baby Kangaroo - feels like Kailh Pro Purple but smoother and lighter - this is what every stock Gateron Brown should feel like.

7 Likes

Got a batch of unlubed Vertex V1’s in. Out of the box, there is some spring ping, with a slight bit of scratch. I am going to run them through the ol’ Break-In Machine this weekend, and try to see what just bag lubing the springs will do as they sound and feel pretty good otherwise.

3 Likes

Summary

7 Likes

Wow - those shots are amazing! WS should have them on their product website because they show the details so much better than their photos :heart_eyes:

Have you tried them yet? Let us know how you like them when you do! (Mine are in the mail still, but I am excited to try them)

2 Likes
2 Likes

CK x Haimu Pastel Peach arrived from CannonKeys.

• Smooth as expected for modern switches.
  • No spring ping I couldn’t hear it while testing on a board but I could hear faint spring ping when placed next to my ear.
  • No contact leaf rattle
  • Not much wobble N/S to speak of. A tad more wobble E/W.
  • Sound is nice and clacky but not distinct and squeaks on upstroke [1].
  • One side of the stem has a blemish that cannot be removed and is present in all the switches I opened randomly so looks like a mold or manufacturing process issue. [2]

[1] Same kind of squeak I heard Gateron North Pole make.
[2] The blemish is a slight depression so it can be felt with fingernail but doesn’t affect the smoothness.

Conclusion: Pretty good for the price.

6 Likes

I finally pulled the trigger and got myself some taiwan jet axis linears. They are surprisingly good. Both wobble and smoothness is better than you would expect from a more vintage switch, specially compared to some modern switches.
Also some 2 and 3 stage springs from taobao. Not really sure what brand they are, the listings didn’t really mention much other than the weight and length. They seem quite decent, though.

6 Likes