What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

A lot of different switches

8 Likes

I believe that this type of Cotopaxi was the inspiration for the name, correct?

Such a cool set

4 Likes

TTC Neptune. Will try them out and report back

7 Likes

Well, I find this hard to believe, but the TTC Neptune actually collides with R3 GMK caps. I couldn’t figure it out at first. I thought the batch was inconsistently lubed or something. I kept thinking the K and L keys were mushy. I thought they had too much lube or something. I swapped 4 different switches into those spots that were good and clacky. But they stayed mushy. I thought… surely not. Then I mounted a keycap but didn’t press it all the way down. CLACK.

So, uh… yeah. Interesting shape apparently no workie 100% with GMK caps. Beware.

Here’s the Neptune next to a TTC Matrix switch

You can see they attempted to make a relief cut in the mold to allow better keycap compatibility. Didn’t work out for R3 GMK in my testing.

They are nice and smooth. Good clack… Not nearly as loud as an ACE or wild or even Matrix switch. Also, hardly any wobble at the top or fully depressed.

They have a flat bottom stem, like other TTC switches. The springs are very long, single-stage and are donut dipped in what appears to be a grease similar to 205g0.

I mean, it’s not terribly noticeable, but if I had soldered these into a very nice board, I would be a bit peeved.

I like them, but I will save these for something with DSA caps. And I definitely won’t solder them in.

I’ll report back with DSA or SA caps and see what I think. I can’t do that right now b/c my cat is asleep on top of the storage bin for the GMK set I have on here at the moment. :cat:

I couldn’t possibly disturb this, right?

15 Likes

I don’t have much coming in these days but I finally got my D60 and Frog Mini plates from P3D. Sad to see them go as a vendor but hopefully these work out. I’m hopeful because it’ll mean another board and more options for the rotation!

10 Likes

So I put DSA on these TTC Neptune and I like them a lot. If you like moderately light linears and you’re a fan of DSA, I highly recommend :clap:

Pretty impressive stock switch. 126 wpm on the first attempt :rocket:

By the way, scored this SP set for like 1/4 the price. I know I said I was done with r/mm but I’m a sucker for classic sets on the cheap

8 Likes

SA 8010 came today

At first I was really confused because I didn’t remember what I ordered. And when I opened the package it looked like Hydro to me. The blue has much less green than the original renders, but it’s quickly grown on me.

13 Likes

This would be an ideal DSS set.

1 Like

Nice!

This looks like an uniform R3 profile, am I right?

1 Like

No, it’s fully sculpted.

1 Like

Oh, ok!

Big shout out to @BoyU of KBDcraft who sent me another of his cool LEGO-compatible products: this time an upgrade kit to turn the (early version) 60% Adam and Addams numpad into a single device – classic, southpaw, or pretty much any arrangement of your choice thanks to the versatile brick construction. (Review soon, but if you can’t wait, the KBDNEWS coupon code should work I guess.)

12 Likes

That would be wonderful, indeed. Have there been any DSS sets made with sublegends yet?

1 Like

Got a set of “What the Jarvis x James Donkey JJ” Switches made by Huano. Silent linears with the usual silicone rail silencing. POK top, POM stem, Nylon bottom, which is pretty interesting for a silent switch. They aren’t silent-silent, but they produce a nice thud. And they are also very smooth, probably because of the factory lube job.
The other set are some EverGlide Ice, or whatever they are called, made by Haimu. Full PC and full of stick slip. I only got a set of 10 out of curiosity more than anything. glad i didn’t get a full set.

6 Likes

Ha, I feel like all-clear switches having slip-stick is almost a rule, whether or not they have all-matching materials. Haimu makes at least two different ones; that all-PC one, and another with either clear POM or Nylon, can’t remember which - they feel basically the same in terms of the slip-stick. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

GMK Relegendables+

I had some cleaning to do.

After all that cleaning with my air duster, I decided to put them on my Safa!

9 Likes

lovely!

1 Like

I got these yesterday, but didn’t have time to get them in a board till today.

From left to right, Sarokeys / BSUN BCP, HMX Macaron, Sarokeys / Huano Strawberry Milkshake S.

The HMX Macarons came with an extra set of light green dustproof POM stems. The pink stems are POK which feel a little smoother, but are quieter. For me these just feel OK, but nothing special. From discussions I saw on the SwitchModders discord, HMX might be related to KTT or at least using the same molds?

The Strawberry Milkshakes have 52g springs which might be too light for me. These were also a pain to get installed. The bottom seem to be a little thicker than the rest of the switches I have, which made pushing them through the plate pretty difficult. They do have a deeper sound which I do like.

The BSUN BCPs I like. I’ve never tried actual BCPs before, so I can’t compare these to them. I really like the sound of these. I think I get what people mean when they say a switch sounds poppy now. I’ll leave these installed in my KBD67 lite for awhile.

From the switches I got last week, I still have the WS Morandis installed on my Mode Envoy. These just feel very comfortable to type on. They’re also quiet enough that I feel OK with using them at the office.

Also I kinda get why people collect switches for just their looks now. The Macaron and Strawberry Milkshakes do look weirdly cute when I look at them.

9 Likes

If I can’t spend money on the most absurdly unnecessary things then what am I even doing in this hobby, right?

In the throws of a “Treat Yo Self!” moment, I picked up a brass keycap puller from Alchemy.

More pics from an idiot with a macro lens 😜

11 Likes

$69

Nice

2 Likes