What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Gazzew part shortage may be caused by a retool / refresh. They are expecting a new housing design from OUTEMU at some point, and are prototyping now.

What kind of top housings were you using with the Baby Blue stems and Boba LT bottoms? Do you think that a regular Boba tight-top will accommodate a Baby Blue stem?

3 Likes

I only have U4T bottom housings so can’t say if Baby Blue stem will fit U4T top housing. I can only say that Boba LT top housing is too tight for most of the stems I have. Stem will go in but it gets stuck. Yet three Geon sliders I tried, Baby Blue, Lavender, and Snow fits. It’s possible but very unlikely that Gazzew would create a different mold just for Boba LT.

As to which housing I used, I went w/NK Cream top. Old Outemu top housings also fits but made squeaky sound on upstroke where NK Cream top didn’t. I think the squeak noise may be due to at least two factors:

• shape of stem rail tops (wide on Geon stems)
  • shape of area stem rail top hits on top housing

Lubing the areas reduces squeak, up to a point, so something else may be at work.

3 Likes

I have Geon Lavender and Baby Blue Sliders and I tried them with various Boba housings, they seem to fit all of the ones I’ve tested.

Housings Tested:

• Black Boba U4T
  • White (Pearl) Boba U4T & U4
  • Smith+Rune Plum U4Tx
  • Boba LT
  • Pink Bobagum

I have not tested any clear tops or Nixdork tops. The black Boba top housings I have are older and newer as well. Some are from 2021 and some are from 2023, if that matters. Both work. :+1:

3 Likes

Got a couple of keyboards from a friend that put the put the desolder gun through it’s paces, but also got some more vinyl in the mail!

7 Likes

Ha, high-five! :raised_hand::skull: Beat me to it; I got the same album today, along with all the switch goodies you sent. (Thanks again!)

2 Likes

Evgeny of ergohaven sent me his new flagship model, the Planeta. Other than having a nice interplanetary vibe, it actually sounds like an alien spaceship thanks to the built-in piezo speaker.

10 Likes

First a G80-1800, finally. It’s ISO-DE and has MX blacks, but i only wanted it for the case anyway, and that seems to be in very good condition. I will swap the PCB (with per-key flex cuts, ugh) for an aftermarket one for VIA/QMK support, solenoids, beepers/buzzers, and type-c. Also so i can use a 7U bottom row. And an FR4 plate. So basically something like an NCR80 but in an actual G80, i guess. Not sure about Keycaps yet.

And again some very obscure and weird switches. Jixian x Fadog Ultimate Purple (i think that’s their name, the listing was vague there). PA66 nylon housing and POM stem with an 18mm 38g spring. They are so light, it feels quite strange. but they are also very, very smooth. Very surprised by them and now i wish there would be more Jixian switches. they’ve been around for so long but have never quite made a splash in the scene.
Also CuXiu 60g 2-stage springs. nothing special, just for testing and such.
and LCET purple browns. very strange standard offering from LCET with them not even being branded as LCET. they only have a strange “E” on the top housing. PC top, nylon bottom, POM stem, the usual. Bump is pretty nice, but nothing special.

10 Likes

Got 5 specimens from switchoddites in the mail today.

Trash Linears
Moondrop G-Square Lunalight
Sarokeys Strawberry Milkshake
KTT Carpinteria
Zeal Clickiez 40g

Trash linears:
From CBKBD, manufactured by HaiMu. I’ll probably order more because I’m always looking for switches with black housings. I generally don’t like for my switches to stand out in a build. Almost completely smooth travel, good stability, mid sound (not exceptionably clacky or thocky, just mid. Good candidate for a board with a more pingy nature. These should be fairly forgiving. Might need something louder for a gasket build. They say 3.6mm travel, but it doesn’t feel that short to me. :man_shrugging:

Moodrop Lunalight:
Buttery smooth, minimal wobble, deeper sound. I think these are listed as 3.8mm travel. They do feel a bit shortened to me. I’ll need to measure to be sure. These would sound very nice in a tray mount or a top mount. Maybe a bit too soft for gasket, but I’ll have to test. I generally like louder switches on gasket mount boards because I find the isolation tends to “dull” the acoustics and make it sound a bit dead.

Sarokeys Strawberry Milkshake:
Also 3.8mm travel. These are a Huano switch and I like them a lot. The stock spring seems a bit too light for me, but the feel and sound is satifying. A bit higher pitch and very smooth with little wobble. They feel more “slick” than the Lunalight which feel mroe “buttery” smooth. These would work very well in a gasket mount board.

KTT Carpinteria:
First time I’ve tried a KTT tactile. I like it. Similar in concept to something like a Durock Medium Tactile with the bump at the top, rounded and lasting throughout a lot of the travel. Except these feel more stable and smooth. They also sound cleaner to me. Also I dig the colors :slight_smile:

Zeal Clickez 40g:
So glad I finally got to try these. They are definitely not for me, but I had always wanted to try one. I will say, they are “similar” to a clicky Alps switch. But that’s kinda like saying a McDonalds burger is similar to a 5guys burger.

They sound much higher pitched than I anticipated. It’s honestly a bit annoying. The click event is too strong for me… unless I press at the very bottom of the keycap. That is actually a nice feel and similar to a white or blue Alps switch. I hope these are revised at some point to feel lighter and more like they do when pressing at the bottom.

My first time to order from Switchoddities. Won’t be the last!

9 Likes

This is why I avoided buying the switch. They should’ve tried to ‘snipe’ a specific ALPS switch, SKCM Orange preferably, in MX housing form, focusing on getting as close the sound and feel. Nope. They couldn’t resist the uncalled for cleverness. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Yesterday I got my JTK HSA Hyperfuse set. Here are some photos compared to OG GMK Hyperfuse.

A few different temperatures of lighting

The mod gray is really close to GMK. Perhaps a touch more green and slightly darker. But very similar in spirit. The cyan/blue is a notch more green than GMK. The purple was hard to capture. It’s softer and a touch more red than the GMK. Maybe you can tell that in photo #2 above. I think this is most apparent on the alphas. The HSA purple on light gray doesn’t have quite the contrast as the GMK set.

Anyway, always happy to have some more Hyperfuse fun. Now to find a keyboard for it!

And yes, I placed these right on top of where my cat sleeps so they’re full of cat hair. Sue me. I was lazy and the light was good. And yes, I did clean them afterwards.

13 Likes

Next time ON the cat!!

5 Likes

brilliant. She’s fairly young though, and loves to play. She LIVES to play. So if I let her near a keycap you can bet it would have tooth marks on it. Perhaps in the deepest of sleeps. She seems to sack out around 2:00 most days. I shall wait for the perfect time!

I asked if I could stack them on her:

15 Likes

I am a simple man. I see a cat pic and I click “Like”

:heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

Anomalycaps faceplant artisan

2 Likes

Nice. which colorway?

The Mononoke one, I did take a picture and put it on my instagram, but my photography skills need some work :smiley:. I’ve been entering quite a few raffles lately so hopefully should be getting 5 or 6 more artisans in the mail over the next few months.

1 Like

got this a while ago but still wanted to share it, bought 200 xmi switches from taobao. 100 for me and 100 for my friend. i would say about 1/3 of mine and his 100 were pretty trash. like they ranged from just being scratchier too having tactile bumps or clicks, the tactile bumps were the most prominent of them all though. dunno how they passed qc but atleast they were $0.15 a piece and i have enough for my 60% so i’m happy

3 Likes

KAM Command finally came. Commodore and KAMander together.

7 Likes

Don’t worry about potato pics here, we all post them :rofl:

4 Likes

Purple matches my old klippe case pretty well!

And, as requested. A cat stack

17 Likes