What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

love the aesthetic of the KAM command set. Mine comes tommorrow!

1 Like

I love the shine on Hyperfuse and the colors look surprisingly close to the original! My HSA Hyperfuse came today, but I have no board to put it on currently :frowning:

I shouldn’t do something stupid like order a board just to put keycaps on it should I :thinking: :rofl:

2 Likes

it would probably look good on a silver 50% board, right? :money_mouth_face:

I bought the 6u space bar so I could try it out on my Titanium Norbaforce. I bet it’ll look sweet, but I’m still rocking my DCS Windbreaker on there at the moment.

2 Likes

looks really nice. I think my set is supposed to come tomorrow

Fine, but I am getting it in blue as I just ordered a different silver board the other day.

2 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

Chosfox went berzerk and sent me a bancouver40, along with a plethora of CFX caps:

Thanks Robin, and fyi, you managed to ruin a whole research team’s productivity for one day. Honestly, like kids in a candy store… :rofl:

11 Likes

By the way there is one anomaly in the KAM Command set that I find interesting. I you look at the homing keys, they have a gap in the outline for a homing bump or bar, but there is no bar or bump. The keys are scooped.

It is like the designer intended for the keys to have a homing feature there and Keyreative went with it even though there is nothing actually there.

Can’t tell if it is cool because it provides visual distinction from the other keys, or just an annoying design flaw.

1 Like

Now all I need is a nice artisan keycap display/case. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I see what you mean. Looking back at the original renders and kit images, it does seem like that was the intent. They appear to be scooped with the gap in the outline, but no bars. It looks kinda neat, but doesn’t really make sense to visually depict homing keys, lol. But I suppose we often see WASD in different colors, and people don’t really look at them, either. Same for arrow keys.

1 Like

Nice, I am a big fan of doing rebuilds in Cherry cases! Not sure why, cause the sound & feel would be considered acceptable to meh for most, but I have a soft spot for the sound & feel of them. Do you already know where you’d be getting a QMK/VIA aftermarket PCB for 1800s? If you do could you please share the link? I’d love to have a second set up for G80-1800HEU as it’s a fairly old WKL model in immaculate shape. So I’m keeping everything stock on it, well at least on the stock PCB.

9 Likes

Oh yeah, there’s just something about actual Cherry boards that gives them their own kind of vibe. And there are 3 different ones, but all on taobao.
One that requires components of some Logitech boards to turn it into a Wireless/Bluetooth one. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=650364556086
Hotswap https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=734685887958
And soldered https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=727431474571

1 Like

Thanks for the links! Yeah you weren’t kidding they do got a plethora of PCBs for them. I should’ve thought to check taobao, they usually have some pretty cool KB stuff on there. Anyways thanks again!

Many assembled PCBs from JLCPCB came to my door today!

The Phoenix Project No 1 Type S Rev2 PCBs and FR4 half plates:

The Leyden Jar Rev 3 PCBs, controllers for Ellipse Model F and Beam Spring boards.
And also the first revision of the PS2 AT to USB daughterboard for the Leyden Jar PCB.

7 Likes

P3D closeout

8 Likes

KAM Command. Won’t stay on this board but just trying out. 7u space bar is a bit tricky to mount. One of those where you have to push just the right amount but not too far. Might try some shims.

It’s fun to have a set that challenges you to figure out what the legends are. Lol

That board has TTC Ace switches, and with the KAM caps it’s hella clacky! Really fun to type on but rather loud. Sounds like the rats from the muppets doing a tap dance.

I’ve pondered picking up a second HMKB in stainless. It’s really a nice board. Would look good with these caps too…

Aaand I bought it. No restraint at all. Pathetic kinda.

10 Likes

What switches are you using? I have long pole stabs specifically for that issue. Gateron makes good screw-in ones, and I know TX has clip-in versions…

I’m using TTC Ace switches on the HMKB75. The problem seems to be the space bar not being completely straight. Haven’t found any combination of washers that allow me to push it fully down. It still wants to get stuck if I press all the way down. Seems like it works best if the left side is slightly higher.

I might try putting two on the left and one in the middle for a gentle angle. Lol

1 Like

I decided to get more scientific about it and got out the calipers. If I measure a GMK 7u space bar on the stabilizer stems from center to center and compare it it the KAM space bar, the KAM space bar is a full 1mm shorter in distance. I’m glad I measured because I was thinking about trying to flatten the space bar with warm water… but that would actually make it worse and bring the stems even closer. I checked the 6.25u bar and it is to spec with GMK. So I just need to use this on a board with 6.25u space bar. And if I decide to use 7u, I simply need to not press it down all the way.

and also:
5a075f06-8300-49d9-897c-0bb58fe81b72_text

I remember about 7 years ago I had a sticky space bar on my SP “Industrial” set and I did the same measuring to find it was 1mm short. Sent them photos and asked for a replacement. Got one that was the correct length and it worked like a charm. Ya think Vala Supply is going to help me get a new 7u space bar to replace this one? :crazy_face:

7 Likes