What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I dislike MT3’s ridges too but ridges on Hi-Pro were just fine.

Profiles I can live with are: Cherry, Hi-Pro, and OEM. KAT may be also but I haven’t tried them yet.

I was stoked about getting MT3 Godspeed as it was my first foray into the profile (and given the high amount of praise by people in the community), but I’m with @dwarflemur on my dislike for it. While placing my fingers in the keys feels incredibly satisfying, when actually typing on them, my fingers find the ridges far too often which is incredibly infuriating, lol. My dislike grew over the week I demo’d them so they haven’t seen the light of day since. My other gripes include: the homing dish is far too narrow for my fingers and are uncomfortable, I prefer the smoother texture of ePBT, the reverse dyesub isn’t saturated enough, legends not centered. Sometimes I feel that I didn’t give the profile a fair shake, but that’s most likey due to the amount of money I spent on the all the Godspeed kits that are now sitting in boxes for all time.

I’m excited to try KAT. I should have KAT Eternal in my hands in a few months (fingers crossed) which I wish was far sooner, since I’ve been forced to pass on a few fantastic looking KAT GB’s in the meantime as I don’t want to invest blindly.

So for now my profiles of choice:
cherry > maxkeys sa (little bit rounder dish than sp)

1 Like

I had the same issue with hitting ridges when typing on DSA and can’t stand typing on that profile, but for some reason typing on MT3 has not been an issue for me. :man_shrugging:

MT3 is great, it rewards accurate typers and punishes sloppy ones.

3 Likes

Got a batch of 88 NOS vintage blacks in from u/ru_mi on r/mechmarket! These are definitely some of the nicest MX blacks I’ve ever tried, although being honest some the boutique linear switches are just as smooth or even a tiny bit smoother. If you’re gonna chase after vint blacks, do it for the sound not the smoothness. That said I put a PE stem in one & that made for a super nice combo. Just as smooth as the smoothest MX linear switches, plus the lovely sound of Cherry housings! Gotta spring swap (either Gat yellow springs or Spirit 68g slow curve) & lube one (205G00, 107 on springs) with the PE stem in it, but I’m pretty sure that I’m gonna use that combo for my new e6.5 PCB/plate.

4 Likes

Mountainblocks PDXKBC - Actually came in a few days ago, but I just got around to unpacking it yesterday, and did the build last night.

This uses filmed frankenswitches made from Ink housings and T1 components. I thought it’d be funny to call them T1NKs.

I’ll be putting some XDA or other mono-height caps on there soon, but couldn’t resist the black and gold from Red Samurai. (I’d love to see a whole set like that…)

The build guide on MB’s website is fantastic - but there is an important note missing from it that will apply to at least a portion of users:

• To flash the firmware of the Pro Micro board in Windows using QMK Toolbox, you will first need to have Arduino software installed.

Unlike with the Melody96 I built last year, the drivers associated with Toolbox were not sufficient. (Mac and Linux are different stories, apparently.) I fiddled with it for hours until reading a post suggesting that - and after installing, the flash went perfectly the first try. Now that it’s flashed, the pad works like a charm.

This was a super-fun little kit, 10/10 would build again.

3 Likes

Tactile Space invaders!

Feels surprisingly okay and I can actually use it with my computer using a 5 pin din to PS2 adapter followed by a PS2 to USB adapter yay

6 Likes

2 Likes

Finally got my smokey translucent everglide stabilizers after ordering them back in January. I ordered a second set at the end of March and they almost caught up to this first order!

7 Likes

Got a batch of 100 creams while they were in stock. No particular plan for them yet, just wanted some in my stockpiles. Same with the Merlots, I sold off another one of my starter boards yesterday (Tada68, plastic case, MX tactile greys) so I just ordered 100 of them also since they’re not supposed to run again.

Edit: Love the new NK sticker!

5 Likes

Whoa. Really? I should’ve gotten some more when I could. I love Cream switches.

Wait, are Creams dying? when did that happen?

I was talking about the Gateron Merlot switches, those won’t be running again. Sorry to scare you guys! Mike would be crazy to kill off creams, LOL!

4 Likes

I was talking about the Gateron Merlot switches

My bad. I overlooked your mention of Merlot switch.

1 Like

Had a mild heart attack :sweat: :see_no_evil:

1 Like

A 5 pin DIN Soarer’s convertor for my increasing vintage board collection & a sample batch of ALPS SKCM/L switches (it came with blue, amber, white, brown, salmon, orange, black, green & yellow ones). I got the switches so now have at least one pristine example of each of those switches to compare against.

5 Likes

Ok, here’s the unbubblewrapped picture:

Couldn’t even wait a day for that. :slight_smile: Now that was about a week ago and I finished these keyboards (at least in a way that they can be used).

Additionally SA Laser arrived finally in the P.O. box automaton today. Massdrop (or DHL eCommerce Germany, or maybe even both) didn’t declare the parcel’s value properly so customs hold the parcel back, sent me a letter in which they asked for a copy of the bill. This procedure costed me about $13 extra—and about two weeks of extra waiting, too, partially due to public Easter holidays. :disappointed:

So following are some potato shots of the results in order of completion.

A more complete story, especially about my further plans with them, as well as one more build I did in the past week, too, is over there in the Unifinished Projects thread.

Pain27 with MDA Big Bone

Features Millmax hotswap sockets and Durock T1 switches.

I really like how MDA key caps look on it.

Reviung39 with SA 1976 ortho kit

Features Millmax hotswap sockets and Kailh Box Jades.

Jerkin with SA Laser

It’s the keyboard shown in the lower half of the picture. The keyboard in the upper half is my Alpha28 with GMK Mitolet for size and color comparison; for some reason I thought in the past that the Mitolet and Laser colors are way more similar.

The Jerkin features Millmax hotswap sockets and Zealios v2. (The Alpha28 has soldered Kailh Box Royals.)

The Jerkin wasn’t finished until today as some of the included screws for the case were too short, and the replacement screws (as well as SA Laser) arrived only today.

4 Likes

SA Bliss

u w u

12 Likes

Dang, it looks really good on that board. Is that a norbaforce?

Yep, MkII Norbaforce.

1 Like