What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Damn, it gets worse the more thought you put into it for real! Well hopefully CK decides to start selling switches in a smaller amount per package. IME they are a great vendor & anybody I’ve talked to that are associated with them seem like really awesome people. So I’m guessing it was just a really bad choice made on the fact it makes sense for them business wise to sell switches in 40 packs & not very well thought through. I think if they get enough negative feedback about it they’d lower the amount per pack. I mean even 20 wouldn’t be so bad, but like you said 40 seems to be the magical number where it’s defensible but also really rubs people the wrong way!

2 Likes

43 would piss people off even more haha
40 is not far from the worst

1 Like

Came yesterday, but I got a dock for my o3DS since I lost the one it came with.

6 Likes

Yes, but someone might put an extra switch for the caps lock or windows key, for example.

The older versions still had rough quantities (35) - AEBoards Naevy Switch R1.5 - Pack of 35 – CannonKeys

However at least two packs of those would cover a 60 and a 65 percent pretty well…

2 Likes

I still really like my Pewters. I think they strike a really good balance. Smooth, nice sound, nice size bump, and good weight. They are the only switch I have in multiple boards. I would put them in more… but that would be too same-y.

I picked up some Cotton Candy switches too. On paper they are very similar to the Pewters, which is why I grabbed them. I have them stock in a tester and really like them. Different sound, and the two-stage spring provides a different feel too. Real easy to press and then a feeling like you’re pushing your finger through a tight piece of paper. Little resistance but then it gives and you go right through. Makes me think of punching through those Japanese style paper doors or that scene from the Shawshank movie where the warden sticks his hand through the poster :joy:

I have also been having a love-hate relationship with some KTT Mallos. I was interested by these switches, liked them stock, but once I got them lubed and in a board I realized they have a bump smaller than Cherry Browns. They are by far the most “linear” tactile switch I have tried. I think they would be great for someone that is a tactile fan, but intrigued by linears or a linear fan intrigued by tactiles. Like a stated, they really aren’t my favorite but there is something about them… I will probably not buy any more, but I like them enough to keep them soldered in one board. @HungerMechanic had some great write ups on them on this site as well. I think he and I are in agreement, but I do enjoy the sound where I believe they didn’t care for it. More info here.

I have a Gingko65 on the way, and it will be getting some 63.5 egro clears. I have been liking these a lot more lately, hence why I was trying to find a similar switch in the Naevies. My hope was to get something similar, that would get smoother over time and maybe I wouldn’t have to lube them out of the box with the POM stems.

Finally, the Lilac tactile switches from CannonKeys that are supposed to be like T1s have caught my eye. I haven’t made the purchase yet, or had the chance to try them at a meet-up but I would like to revisit T1s. They seemed like another “ergo-clear” like switch that are just different enough, and it has been a few years since all the T1 hype and when I tried them.

Sorry for the log post! Let me know what you are interested in!

3 Likes

Yeah, I was curious to see if you still like Pewters after all these times haha. Good to know that you still like them! I might have to pick them up.

I have been on linear for almost a year. Before transitioning to linear, durock light tactile was my favorite tactile switch. While they felt a bit too heavy to type on sometimes, I liked using them for everything, and I like jwk’s standard short springs. So there is a good chance that I will like Pewter, given the similar stem designs.

Currently, I am in love with those milky cap brown. They feel pleasant to type on. They sound deep and poppy out of the box. The bump is a tiny bit bigger than browns and gat brown, but they are still in the realm of light tactile. The only things I am not sure about are the 20mm long springs in them. I’m not too fond of long springs in linear, but these seem okay in a tactile.

1 Like

I agree with everything you said there, and also 63.5 G is a great weight not only for Ergo Clears but similar switches [OUTEMU Silent Forest, Kailh Pro Purple, Durock Medium Tactile] and lightly-lubed linears.

Yes! The Lilacs are great. I had samples of the earlier Rose + Black versions. They’re like a slightly toned-down, smoother, and better-sounding T1. The only T1 I would use. SP Star Polaris Purple is probably similar, and you might want to pick up 10 of each to try. [Also “Magic Girl” Dark - I found them boring, but it’s a well-built medium-tactile.]

@linch I agree that Durock Light Tactile is surprisingly heavy/stiff, like punching through paper as djmantis says.

If you like CAP Brown, I found Ergo Clears using 62 or 65 G TX 14mm springs to be similar. Some switches that are a little lighter than Durock Light and CAP Brown are SP Star Duck and AULA (Leobog) Matcha Axis, which are still heavier than MX Browns.

[The Leobog tactiles went on sale for about $16 USD / 110 during the AliExpress sale, must have sold out in the first day!]

2 Likes

I have some milky CAP browns that I need to give a second chance as well. Thanks for the reminder. I remember liking them but felt that the return was a little slow. It made for an odd sensation to me.

I am coming to the conclusion that my first impression of a new switch is pretty heavily colored by the switch/board I currently have in my rotation. If a go from a heavier tactile to a lighter one or a light to a heavy, my initial impressions can be pretty negative. I have noticed that if type on a similar switch compared to the new one coming, my assessment seems to be a little more fair since they are not two extremes.

1 Like

Cap brown doesn’t feel slow return to me but I am used to standard short springs. I ordered some pewter for my tiger TKL so I am excited to try them out.

1 Like

The Rev1 of Leyden Jar PCBs just came in!

11 Likes

Switch Oddities! Some more good ones in there…

…and an A3 frame for this poster signed by one of my favorite future funkers, Strawberry Station. It’s been at least 15 years since I’ve had an anime girl on my wall, but I’ll make an exception for the 'funk. (There’s a signed TWRP poster just above it; think goofy Canadian Daft Punk and you’ll be in the ballpark.)

Free-associative tangent: I now want to commission an image each of Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Bright in the style of Attack on Titan.

9 Likes

This would be epically funny! Do it please!

2 Likes

Packs of 57.

2 Likes

10 extra switches for a keeb ain’t too bad :thinking::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Got myself the Oni HHKB-style kit today. came with gateron yellows and some stabilizers, i assume everglide v2/durock v1. I took it apart to lube the springs and relube the stabs and i have to say… it’s really nice actually. my first board with integrated plate top-mount and my first HHKB style keyboard. split backspace and the moved left ctrl are going to need some time to get used to. but it’s really nice so far. Also put some Aifei Apollo on it until my PBTfans Purpolch come in.

10 Likes

A few more artisans for my work board.

15 Likes

The cable is beautiful

Yeah! It’s a Cabemod Pro. They had a lot of gold options in the configurator so I just picked as many as I could lol. Super happy with how it came out. The black sleeving makes it shimmer in the light on my desk.

I wouldn’t fret too much about it. The Raeds and Blaecks are not that great, honestly. Too much wobble for me. They are supposedly factory lubed, but they are quite clacky and need some 205g0 for sure. Definitely nothing impressive about them. I would expect Naevy to be about the same. They just don’t feel premium.

2 Likes