What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I’ve had the same experience with them - and that’s really the only non-positive thing I could say about them. Aflion has been killing it lately, IMO.

In fairness, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a light-to-medium tactile that doesn’t have at least some metallic noise going on.

1 Like

Yes, I think OUTEMU using longer 52 and 55 G springs in their tactiles, and a number of other manufacturers later (55 G CAP Browns), paved the way for long-spring success in light-tactiles.

@Deadeye, this is my first experience with an Aflion switch, and it is pretty positive. Yes, light-tactiles are vulnerable to ping and squeak. Solution so far has been to lube the leaf-area like in that video of “How to make Everglide Jade Green sound good.” And springs, of course.

Might try just lubing those two things with the test switches, to see what happens. Is there a safe way to lube the leaf? [I am typing rn on the 62 G Ergo Clear NCR-80, and it is still a little harsher than I prefer.]

1 Like

The caps look good on the teal, but on the Saturn? :fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Swag bags from Upgrade Keyboards:

• Big bag o’ mixed-up Kailh Blacks

• Lil’ bag o’ Shrimps

• Bonus candy & stickers

I guess Fred Durst needed a new gig - now he’s a mascot! :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Nice! How do you like those Kailh Blacks? I’m wondering if the difference in other housings (JWK, Cherry, Gateron) is noticeable.

2 Likes

I’m liking them so far - I mean, for a few pennies each they’re amazing. The V2s don’t work with some franken recipes, but as switches in their own right the V2s genuinely seem like an improvement over the V1s.

Well, this big bag of Kaihls did inspire me to start a switch version thread, in which I also have an example of some JWK housings that can be differentiated from the outside.

3 Likes

Poron switch film to try (been using PC-based TX films), 3-stage WS springs to try, and a roll of hotswap sockets to replace sockets that loosened enough to require pin bending to work. Re dirty deskpad, I’m just too lazy to replace them more often than once a year.

6 Likes

Honestly, same here. I just don’t want to pay shipping for deskmats.

1 Like

Received the fanciest of fancy cables I could never have imagined having on my desk from Unicorn Cables thanks to their kind support of the KBDNews 2nd birthday giveaway.

To be honest, this is something I would totally not even consider buying myself, or at least not previously. But having it on my desk, I can appreciate why people want such beautiful cables in their work environment.

Plus it totally matches the colour of the blue/grey Ciel which looks green on my desk.

11 Likes

They are meant to be together.

5 Likes

Fun mail day:

• GMK Awaken

• Some Zakus

• Some Giant V5s

mfw:

10 Likes

I got my Awaken kits today as well. Unfortunately, instead of a left win/super 1.25u cap, I got two left alt 1.25u caps. I’d recommend meticulously checking your keycaps. I’ve never had this happen with a GMK set before, and totally validates my thorough inspection routine (and paranoia) for every set.

5 Likes

Summary

They also gave me a couple of test-type switches for free. It turned out that this is a gateron and one unknown. I think either fox or everglide. transparent pc.

10 Likes

Blueberry Chiffons from Invokeys. Its sound is interesting and promising. Tactility is also feels smoother or less dirty than light-tactiles I tried previously.

UPDATE: Tested a few after lubing and filming.

• spring pings. Needs lubing.
  • film unnecessary.
  • feel: light-tactile bump feels surprisingly smooth.
  • sound is awesome, similar to my favorite light-tactile frankenswitch made out of 3 different switches. there is a minor yet persistent scratchy sound from leaf going over tactile bump. Over-lubbing the tactile bump removed the noise entirely.
9 Likes

I can’t say for 100% but I also believe OG Cherry ABS is of a higher quality than current state GMK. I was lucky enough to get a NOS G80-1800 with a set of pristine OG double shots on it. Comparing the wear between that set & GMK sets I got around the same time the OG seems to hold up a little better to shine. Then anecdotally OG doubleshots seem to hold up better to yellowing also. It’s not a huge difference as both are ABS & prone to those two issues, but just considering that almost everything was made with higher quality back in the day I’d say there is merit to this argument.

3 Likes

Yeah it happens unfortunately, I’ve had a few sets with double of one key & missing another. Also have had a few sets come with keys that had bleed through of the first shot plastic. Luckily I never got any badly warped spacebars from GMK, but that is another common complaint you hear. Although in all cases where I’ve had a missing or bum key from a GMK set I have always been able to get a replacement from the vendor.

2 Likes

Busy mail day. After USPS dropped off Blueberry Chiffons, UPS dropped off this large mixed batch of Kailh Black V1/V2 from Upgrade Keyboards.

Shucking a few at random revealed only V2s so chance of getting enough V1s for more than a number pad is slim. OTOH, looks like there will be enough V2s to fill 3~4 60% boards.

UPDATE: Tried a few lubed.

1. Feel: decently smooth, solid bottom out.
  2. Sound: decently clacky.

Given its a long-poll switch without key travel loss, I think both stems and housings will be very useful in modding.

7 Likes

Got my set of DCX Hyperfuse I won from Drop’s 12 days of xmas event in today! After inspecting them loose, then throwing them on my Babylon & running a few typing tests with them. Well, I gotta be honest they’re actually really damn good!

I’m sure most of you know I’m no fan of Drop, but I will give credit where credit is due. They managed to make a product that is right on par with GMK sets quality wise that even has a pretty big QOL upgrade with the hidden sprue marks. The color matching to OG Hyperfuse is great & hell they even sound identical to GMK when both are used on the same KB!

The rest is pretty subjective stuff that preference will vary from person to person. Like the skinnier font DCX uses, the smoother texture of the caps, & no Alice compatibility of some DCX sets. Although they have listened & added Alice support. Then already had 65%/75%, 1800, HHKB, basic UK/ISO & a 2u Shift for 60% with arrow cluster compatibility. Plus Numpad standard with every set. Comparing that to GMK sets with just TKL & 65%/75% compatibility that sell for the same price or slightly more than DCX sets. Drop has a strong value argument going for them here, especially if the kitting of the Hyperfuse kit is now the norm for them.

Overall I am very happy with my first DCX set & would have been just as happy with it if I had paid for it TBH. The more I look at the set, the thinner legends are really growing on me. I have always been a fan of the legends on DCS (Gorton modified IIRC). In fact the only thing I dislike about the DCX set I got was the plain black box packaging & kinda flimsy trays they come in. Again that’s subjective from person to person. I like to keep my caps in their original packaging or will get JTK trays for any sets I have that came in baggies. Anyways overall I would recommend getting DCX if a set you like comes up! :+1:

15 Likes

Akko Matcha Green and a Hubris extra.

7 Likes

Cherry copper from Novelkeys came today. I probably won’t keep them on this TX board, but it looks nice, and sounds nice too. I forgot how good PBT sounds on these Gateron FEI switches.

16 Likes