What did you learn today?

All things being equal, they sit the same for sure. Of course, the length of your switch stem will determine how much higher they sit or lower they ride.

1 Like

I learned that even used Cherry MX reds feel like butter to the untrained fingers… WTF do Gateron Ink Blacks feel like???

3 Likes

The differences in keycap weights might be worth factoring when considering what spring feel and acoustics you’re going for. Since all the below keycaps are designed to take up the same volume of space on your keyboard, the density (mass/volume) is what I was most curious about since that has such a large influence on the speed of sound.

Also, with the intro of springs actuating in .5 increments now, the difference between GMK and Cannon Keys keycaps might inadvertently nullify that slight increase in actuation force simply by having a heavier keycap. :man_shrugging:

Vendor Weight (g)
GMK (ABS) 0.806
ePBT 1.060
IFK 1.102
Cannon Keys 1.210

After some monkeytype, I must admit that the heavier keycaps are bit more chonky and just feel and sound premium, especially for cherry profile. YMWV of course.

GMK

ePBT

IFK

Cannon Keys

11 Likes

I’m confused, cannon keys has proprietary keycaps?

These guys …

Legends are a bit further away from the left edge as well. Almost more off-center then left aligned.

3 Likes

Tip of the day: Don’t leave your soldering iron on for two weeks and forget about it. It will disintegrate when you try to use it.

17 Likes

Oof, better a broken an iron than fire though!

6 Likes

Needless to say I was very disappointed in myself. Luckily I keep it in that eye screw so heat doesn’t transfer.

1 Like

I’ve never seen this stab mod before! Looks like I’ll be keeping the backs of my deskeys films to give this a try.

7 Likes

Interesting…

I keep mine on a powerstrip that has my workbench light plugged into it. I use the switch on that power strip to turn on the light and soldering iron. That way, I know if my workbench light is on, the soldering iron might be on. As long as the light’s off, there’s no fire hazard.

I left my on accidentally a few times before I came up with the idea. I was terrified I was going to burn the house down. No more worries now.

1 Like

I tried this mod for my stabs andit works great. It took a little bit of trial and error to get the size right for the deskey bits but in the end I would say the feel/sounds was worth it.

3 Likes

I learned that I can desolder, lube (albeit heavily) and resolder a prebuilt 60% keyboard!

8 Likes

Awesome confidence builder project! what switches and what board was it?

1 Like

MX Cherry reds. I practiced on a cheap Ducky One 2 Mini I picked up on mechmarket. Really relieved that the other switches I’ve order aren’t a waste now xD

1 Like

Nice, that’s probably a pretty solid board, if those reds got a little breaking in from their previous owner, I bet that sounds quite nice. what other switches did you order? planning another build?

Ducky does solid 60%s at least from my experience. I’m planning on switching out the switches on a couple other boards I have with Gazzew’s UT4’s and his Bobagum silent linear. Real excited for when those get to me in the mail!

2 Likes

sounds good, Gazzew makes some awesome switches.

1 Like

There are Irons that have automatic sleep modes, like the KSGER T12 soldering station that I use (maintain the temperature to low 200 Celsius).
But it is always better not to forget to unplug your iron.

1 Like

Apparently choc switches and keycaps are designed for 18x17mm spacing, not 0.75" like I have been doing all this time. That would explain why there are such gaps between the rows…

4 Likes