What did you learn today?

This was where I usually go. https://kle-render.herokuapp.com/ It seems to be broken for me right now :frowning: Not sure who made it.

Anyway, it would take something like this:

And turn it into this:

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll have to check it out when it’s back up.

1 Like

I am guessing this is not that uncommon of knowledge, but a lesson I have learned today - Switches with heavier springs (at least BOX switches) are not as smooth as their lighter counterparts. I have a Tofu build with stock BOX reds, and they are smooth, and feel great. I was so happy with them, but thought it would be interesting to try out a heavier version. So, I bought some BOX blacks, and damn, these have spring ping pretty bad, and sound and feel scratchy. I am very glad i put them in a hotswap board to try out first. I won’t be using them in anything else I don’t think. The feel like butt. An itchy butt at that.

1 Like

ZealPC made a case? :thinking:

YMDK says:

The new plastic case is ABS amoulded by Zealio factory which is higher quality and looks better than before.

1 Like

Zeal doesn’t own a factory, I believe this just means the same factory that Gateron uses to make Zealios was involved in making this. The switches are injection-moulded plastic so the factory used for Zealios is already set up to handle injection-moulded products.

2 Likes

Well, it say Zealio factory which is only similar to ZealPC and Zealios. :wink:

Therein lies my confusion. What vendors say versus what they mean. Ugh.

2 Likes

Aha, I missed the part of you being unsure about the whole thing. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Today I learned that Krytox 203g0 and 204g0 is the same as Tribosys 3203 and 3204.

And here I have searched for a site that ships 3203 and 3204 to Europe but in the mean time placed two orders from a company that has 203g0 and 204g0 in stock… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Today I learned or should I say faced the consequences of solder in LEDs before making shure u like the switches.

3 Likes

That is exactly why I stopped using LEDs or SIP sockets with my builds. If you thought desoldering a board with just switches was a nightmare… LOL!

3 Likes

It’s like a horror movie, feels like I’m butchering the pcb instead of delicate surgery. :rofl::dizzy_face::cry:

3 Likes

My wife’s college dental instruments make for great keyboard tools. Specifically periodontal probe, “staby stick” as I like to call it, and tweezers. Staby stick is ridiculously strong. I use it to scrape off any extra flux on PCB (but only if using headphones). I have also used it for moving mill max and Holtite sockets. There are probably more uses I haven’t thought of. Tweezers are much better then generic Amazon ones, all around useful over engineered and awesome!

Preemptively, tomorrow’s thing learned will be dental tools are not for keyboards :wink:

(also just for safety these instruments would never be used on people again)

9 Likes

Dental tools are great for working with vinyl and other crafty stuff, too. Strong, sharp, and meant to get into wee spaces. Perfect!

3 Likes

Do you have a link to a decent set?

Retailers seem to require you to have a license to purchase from them so I can’t provide a link. I don’t really know too much about them. However, Ebay has some use the tweezer model number Hu-Friedy DPU17 as a search term.

1 Like

Im still new to building keyboards so this will be obvious to you all but yesterday I realized just how much of a difference in sound a nice set of lubed stabilizers can make.

6 Likes

I learn mostly from mistakes. Here are some mistakes I have made and learned from:

• Soldered a board together forgetting to put stabs on first

• Soldered the bottom row of a board wrong

• Ordered a key set that doesn’t have the correct size modifiers I need for the intended layout

• Accidentally ripped the USB port off a Pro Micro

• Forgot to solder headers/sockets for a Pro Micro based board

• Joined group buys that took so long my tastes totally changed by the time they arrived

7 Likes

Understandable :slight_smile:

The one with the GB’s is so true. I joined MT3 susuwatari and was so hyped. Then it took 2 years. Towards the end, I canceled my 300$+ order 2 weeks before they announced it was finally ready and going to ship and all buyers will get a coupon for a base MT3 abs set. My reaction was a blank face as I know for sure now that I dislike dark colors alpha’s sets.

3 Likes

oof I may or may not have done all of these at one time and def feel ur pain

1 Like