What did you order or think about ordering?

Twitter DM from CannonKeys:

At least they’re trying. Just needs some prodding.

5 Likes

I thought about getting the Kat BOW keycaps, which were on sale with just one left in stock, but then someone else must have gotten it first, since now they are out.

It seems that entire sets of off-white, yellowy, and/or beige keycaps are not really that common. Maybe they are a bit unpopular as some might view them like old, yellowed plastic.

1 Like

GMK set that I’ve been eyeing for $119. Yes, please.

3 Likes

If you meant the KAT Monochrome set, Mekibo has some in stock. They’re technically extras from a 2020 group buy that finally shipped, so I’d act fast if that’s what you like. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought about ordering the Aurora R2 extras from mech.land last week.

But the R2 doesn’t have colours I like. I’d like something less “primary” than solid blue, for example.

Would be nice to see some more non-transparent and tasteful colour options for the Aurora. It’s really unbeatable in the price / quality ratio, which is why I suppose they are focusing on “luxury” variants instead.

2 Likes

Thank you for the helpful suggestion. That one does look quite nice, but it seems to have a whiter color (WS2, I guess is what it is called).

I was actually referring to a different (which I mistakenly called WOB, when I really meant BOW) set: KAT BOW PBT Keycaps set – KBDfans® Mechanical Keyboards Store
This one is a bit off-white (I guess the colorway is referred to as WS1) and the legends are bit a different.

The weird thing is that the set somehow came back in stock? But then when I went to order it from KBDfans directly, I found out that the only shipping option was $25. So, I contacted the store about the possibility of a cheaper shipping option and they recommended that I buy it from their AliExpress, which had cheaper shipping (nominally “free shipping”, but an extra $7.40 added into the price). Well, I just finally ordered it there, and seem to have bought the last one in stock. I hope it turns out well.

I am specifically looking for a color like this, since I’m trying to go for an off-white, ivory-like look.

1 Like

How about ePBT Ivory :smirk: tho I don’t think it’s a correct color.
GMK umka and GMK Sixes is what I would go for.
If you looking for something cheaper XMI is the way to go.

1 Like

I came close to ordering the ‘Cyberdeck’ kit, a full TKL of SA Laser for like $58 last week.

But it was R3 profile, which I can’t stand. Even as an affordable SA set, it has to be sculpted.

1 Like

Thank you for making these suggestions. Of course, part of my motivation of making my first post in this thread was to hope to elicit these sort of recommendations. (By the way, I’m also thinking about ordering the 75% wooden keyboard kit from YMDKey. Anyone have an alternatives to suggest on that one?)

It’s so hard to really tell what these colorways are actually like in person from just online photos. In many cases, I’ve also been googling their names to try to find photos and videos from other people that have actually completed builds with these various keycaps.

I think the eBPT Ivory looks nice and it was actually an alternative that I was considering. However, it does seem (from just the photos) that this might be a somewhat grayer off-white. I was also considering the GMK Umka, but that one seems to go a bit too far away from white, and maybe has some slightly browner tone (as opposed to a warmer yellow). The GMK Sixes also looks like it has a more grayer tone to it. Again, these are just impressions from photos, and maybe they do look a bit different in real life.

Further, in addition to these slight differences in color, I quite like the look of the Kat profile (and hopefully it actually feels okay when I start using it).

I really hope that this Kat BOW colorway lives up to my expectations.

I would say that’s kinda correct, tho I get a bit confused when you say you want Ivory and also KAT BoW. In my book Ivory is a “dirty” white while KAT BoW is a clean white. But I might got that wrong. :person_shrugging:

Here are some pictures of my GMK Sixes(#2) and some OLD Cherry keycaps that have yellowd over the years.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing those pictures. It seems to reinforce that GMK Sixes is not quite the colorway that I’m looking for.

I guess the “ivory” name that I’m using might be a bit ambiguous and subjective. I mean something like an off-white that is meant to present as white, but off a bit in the direction of having a distinctly, but subtle, yellow warmth. I think the X11 color definition of ivory is quite close to what I mean.

I feel like we’re getting closer to the target! A few PBT options currently in stock:

Outside the box option: white ABS keycaps that you expose to strong, direct sunlight for a couple days/weeks/months :wink:

1 Like

I dunno, feels like a classic beige / XMI / OG Cherry is what you want.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’m still not fully sure I can really appreciate the nuances of each color from just photos, but these are really helpful ideas to consider. Of course, I already ordered the Kat BOW, so I hope those work out.

Do any keycaps makers offer color sample sets (i.e. a key or two of each of their colors, not enough for a full set, but just for checking color matching) for sale? Seems like a good use for factory seconds and other defective keys.

What exactly do you mean by this? Any particular sets?

1 Like

After considering it for the better part of year, ordered a Day Off 60 today. Very excited about this one!

3 Likes

Nice! What is it with these lovely 60% boards popping up now? :star_struck:

1 Like

I’m currently typing on mine. I ended up ordering a POM plate for it. It’s not ideal because the switches don’t fully snap in (so you’ll really need a plate fork to make building easier). Also, the switches pull out when I replace keycaps. But it’s a small board and easy to assemble/disassemble, so I don’t mind.

Also, I do feel like it makes the board sound better. I didn’t sound bad to start with, but I prefer the sound profile of POM over aluminum in this one.

1 Like

I ordered several more carrying cases from Cannonkeys. I like their cases because they are relatively compact, affordable, and have a label holder on the case. I’ll still pick up any TX cases I can find in stock, but these are a really nice solution and usually more readily available.

I keep running out of room and having to find more creative ways to store keyboards… HELP.

Just kidding. Not my photo. It’s not really that bad. The cases help me to neatly store most stuff. See, the key is to hoard in an organized fashion. Then it’s just called “collecting”

6 Likes

Ye, like
GMK Hineybeige

GMK Klassiker

Or XMI

4 Likes

My theory is that after progressing through 60%, 65%, 75%, TKL, and some full-size boards in the custom/GB worlds, the hobby is circling back to 60% designs.

I was looking for a hotswap 60% with a split spacebar option, so I was also seriously considering the Spectacle60, but the heavier weight and sound of the Day Off 60 (plus the sale price of the B and C stock) won me over.

1 Like