What is on your desk today?

Lol, yah! And they were out of order :smirk:

I thought there was a reason for not using ledd in keyboards. :thinking:

Noxary T60 with ePBT Slate is on my desk today. Sorry for the poor phone pic quality.

9 Likes

The accent colors are remarkably vivid, despite the phone pic!

I have a skylight above my desk and the daylight really makes the colors glow on my phone.

1 Like

While I optically like the Vortex Tab90M’s stock VSA Dolch key cap set, I had issues finding keys just with the fingers due to the non-sculpted, DSA-like key cap profile in combination without any gaps. So I recently replaced it with the colorwise similar Git kit of GMK Oblivion to see how it feels with the sculpted Cherry profile. Details in the discussion thread linked above.

Here’s a potato shot¹⁾ of it on my home-office desk where I’m using it for about two days²⁾ now:

You can slightly recognize the “haptic wall” I mentioned in the other thread about the issues I’m having with this 95% layout (linked above; detail picture there, too).

So while I’m not too happy with that type of layout, I still like its looks and especially the case: It’s similar to the Vortex Race 3 and Vortex Core cases (thin aluminium bezels of a tub-like case), but with two non-obvious differences: It’s slightly angled (just a few degrees, maybe 3°) and much heavier, probably because the inner bottom of the case is slanted, too, and it’s massive aluminium below that.

Also seen in the picture (and permanent residents³⁾ on my desk):

Footnotes
  1. I’ve put a brighter LED lamp in the ceiling light⁵⁾ since the old one went out of order yesterday, so I now at least can take pictures there which don’t always look dark. :smiley:
  2. I seem to have never changed my daily drivers as often before as during the COVID-19 lockdown. :smiley:
  3. Actually the Tab90M is a permanent resident on my desk, too: Before, it just was sitting between the actually used keyboard and the screen and not being used for the reasons mentioned above.
  4. <rant>Vexatious because only being available in wireless with the known to be insecure Unifying protocol despite needing a USB cable for charging anyway. And because Logitech refuses to fix still open security issues.</rant>
  5. Compared to my recent other keyboard potato shots in the same place.⁶⁾
  6. Had to put this in a footnote to have a reason to put footnotes in footnotes. :crazy_face: RIP Sir Terry Pratchett. (SCNR)
5 Likes

Specs:

• kbdfans.com KBD75v2 kit:
    • PCB
    • Brass plate
    • Machined aluminum case - top dark-gray, bottom light-gray
  • Zeal Zilent 65g (most keys), 62g (modifiers), 67g (spacebar, enter, backspace)
  • Lubed Zeal gold-plated screw-mount stabilizers
  • Keycaps: Domikey SA Atlantis (doubleshot ABS)
  • Customized QMK firmware:
    • Keybindings for ChromeOS special keys
    • Use RGB underglow as caps-lock indicator
    • Bound some unicode glyphs to FN layer combinations
    • Added some custom LED animations
6 Likes

Dang that’s like “totally not calm depths”

Nice looking build though, looks pretty sweet and I bet it feels great.

On the desk today: Leaf 60 with Gat yellows (milky) and MT3 Serika. I’m really loving the ‘typists’ kit.

14 Likes

Custom matching vinyl legends for my macro pad:

This was fun! I cut these little 0.4375" square stickers on my plotter, and they fit right in. If anything, I might make them the tiniest bit smaller next time so placement is more forgiving.

If anyone is curious, I mostly use this pad with X4: Foundations - a satisfyingly nerdy if equally obtuse space sim. (I’m finding it perfect for quarantine.) I mostly play with a gamepad, but X doesn’t support layered commands on one, so I needed a few more buttons:

• Travel Mode
  • Scan Mode
  • Match Speed
  • Next Ammo
  • Tractor Beam
  • Toggle HUD

If anyone is interested in custom stickers like these for re-legendable keycaps - or just custom stickers in general - give me a shout!

3 Likes

Finally built up my Lubrigante! Went with Gateron Merlots, spring swapped to 68g slow curve springs (lubed with GPL 105), & lubed with GPL 205G00. Durock clear stabs lubed with GPL 205G0 & topped her off with GMk Jamon! First impressions are very positive for me, I’m definitely typing a lot slower on the Alice layout. Although my accuracy is improved & it’s making me drop bad improper typing habits I’ve formed real quick! Think I’m gonna be OK with this layout after a few days practice. Got a nice check coming on tues., if I’m still liking the Alice layout by then I’m getting me a Rukia!

Oh, also a quick tip I wanted to share with you guys! It seems like a no brainer now that I’ve thought of it, but painter’s tape is perfect to keep rosin from splashing onto plates.

10 Likes

Seeing the plan that you have for the Rukia and the lubrigante makes me want to finally get my hands on something like one of these acrylic alice’s. But do I want to spend the money? yes

1 Like

The Lubrigante is open soruce so you could have a case & plate cut for you vs searching the aftermarket.

All of these desks are fire!

I really like the idea of the Rukia, but I am skeered about the scratchability of PC as a case material. Still mulling hard.

1 Like

When it doubt, our man @norbauer made a great guide on maintaning frosted Polycarbonate :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, muxh appreciated! I feel better about diving into a PC keeb purchase :slight_smile:

1 Like

Trying something different. Can’t decide if I like the look of this or not… Leaning towards no. I think it needs either stock caps or something that would compliment the logo.

On another note though, this is a BTC 5130 which uses BTC domes with sliders (cherry mount). I would say it is 90% as tactile as BKE redux domes, which is basically perfect. I would not underrate this keyboard. Pretty good considering how cheap they are. Once you get everything lubed and stick some wight in it so it doesn’t slide around the desk, it’s a lot of fun to type on! Plus, it gets bonus nostalgia points because my parents had a Packard Bell Legend with Win 95 when I was 7 years old :grin:

6 Likes

Something like red alert might look pretty cool on there.

2 Likes

BTC & Scorpius dome + sliders are sleeper great feeling boards. Chyros turned me onto them when I was debating whether or not to get Topre board & I have to agree with you, they feel very similar to BKE redux ultralight/lights. Taken into consideration that it is almost impossible to not bottom out on BKE/BKE redux domes. I think they are a great budget option for seeing if a modded Topre board would be for you or not.

1 Like