What is on your desk today?

Excuse the potato pic. I finished up modding this board today & have to say these G80 boards hit different! Now that it’s all tuned up I think this is a great sleeper build. The buttery key feel, mixed with the deeper sound profile & soft typing feel are a definite winner in my book! It’s not a super quiet board due to the nature of the case, but lubing the switches & stabs surpresess 99% of the rattle & unwanted sounds. Overall I’m very happy with the board now! Now I need to get a G80-1800 & do the same to it LOL!

10 Likes

It looks great. Would be an awesome sleeper work keyboard. What switches did you end up going with?

2 Likes

HHKB ruined me, started redoing all of my MX keyboards into the split-backspace/split-shift layout :partying_face:

Started yesterday with my Tofu 60, Box royals inside. That felt just optimal before, now it feels way too heavy, I guess I need to find new “second best” switches in the MX World now :grin:

11 Likes

Thanks, it would make for a nice work board! It originally had MX silent blacks in it, so I kept the Cherry housings, swapped the stems for YOK Panda stems, swapped the springs for 62g TX short springs. Then lubed the housings with 204g00 & the springs with 105.

1 Like

24 Likes

1.) Have you tried Crystal Royals or Silent Box Browns? They both sit in between OG Royals and Box Browns in tactility.

2.) I once knew someone with “DON’T PANIC :+1:” tattooed above her lower back, in the style of the Hitchhiker’s Guide movie artwork.

3 Likes

Got my ClassyTKL built with the JWK POM linears (piano black with white stems). Might be the best sounding board I’ve built to date.

Some OG Umka to class it up. I’m going to do a gray theme on it later I think.

More pics here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMA401HnzNk/?igshid=12di5dxnld23o

15 Likes

Before December and my switch to HHKB, I’ve preferred heavier switches. So, no, but I also think I am giving up on tactile MX’es and will go on MX to linears only while tactility I leave to Topre which is doing it good. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Would there be any copyright issues with a “Don’t Panic!” novelty keycap? I’d love to see one of these.

Maybe they could run it in a bunch of colorways like the Salt set from GMK Carbon

Classy indeed. So sad I missed out on this GB

Good question.

Ultimately I think it would come down to whether the rights-holder felt like suing - and in the case of an artisan keycap, I’d be really surprised if they did, though I suppose they technically could if the art was sufficiently similar. If it’s just the phrase without any of the obvious hitchhiker’s branding, that should be totally kosher.

There was one time I saw a rights-holder sue in a pretty frivolous, kinda funny way… The University of Tennessee tried to sue a headshop like a block away from them because it was selling orange and white glass pipes.

While there were some pipes with UT’s copyrighted branding (specifically the “Power T” device) floating around the area, they didn’t come from this shop - which was only using the colors. The case got thrown out for lack of standing, with the judge reminding UT that they don’t own the combination of white and orange (or even Pantone 131) in just any old context.

1 Like

Bad ol’ rocky top. If anything they gotta make sure their fans smoke more so they can forget the world every 3rd Sunday in October

Back to “Don’t Panic.” Whaddya think, an R1 1U cap or a novelty 2.25u R3 enter?

Incorrect. It made you into the person you always were inside :heart:

11 Likes

can’t wait to try the layout. the rama kara will be my first hhkb layout =D

2 Likes

Keycult No.2 Rev. 1
Vintage Blacks (Lubed, Filmed)
GMK Modern Dolch + Mr. Sleeves add-on
Keyforge Sabre v2 Pursuer Artisan

As you can tell the alpha’s are omega shined

12 Likes

wow those are slick as glass, looks lovely.

1 Like

Orange Alps AEK finally done!

25 Likes

What case is that, one of those BBox60s? It looks really good man!

1 Like

Was messing around with my Pewters loose & decided to just throw together a quick hot swap build with them just to see how they perform in a board. I didn’t mod the switches in anyway, just cherry picked the best factory lubed ones out of my batch for this. Threw them on a Instant60 Tsangan, with a Duck Raven MX Alum. plate, purple Durock V1 stabs, & threw it in my Klippe (Rd.2 Klippe I think, the one with the removable middle standoffs).

Been typing on it since last night & I have to say these are some really nice switches! A bit louder than I’m used to cause I haven’t used tactiles in quite awhile & they are not manually lubed. I do expect the sound to tighten up some with a proper lube job, although these will have a higher pitched bottom & top out even then since they have PE blend housings. So I won’t judge the sound too much till I get these properly lubed.

Feel wise though I can give some more solid thoughts on them. I would say they ended up creating a much smoother ergo clear rather than an upgraded brown with these. Which is actually a better feel for me TBH. Any browns I have ever tried are just a tad below what I’d prefer for tactility while ergo clear like tactility has always been my fav for MX tactiles. The 58.5g spring in them really compliments that ergo clear feel too!

All in all, now that I’ve tried them in a build I would definitely recommend these switches for anyone looking for a light but noticeably tactile typing experience. They actually have a flow to them when typing at speed, which I feel the hyper tactile switches do not have simply because their tactile event is so huge bottoming out is unavoidable. I still have to give the Penguins & Mode light tactiles a try, but Pewters have given me hope that light & mid tactility switches are not dead!

10 Likes

Yes. Cheap and cheerful, except for the switches.

But Alps is exhausting. Took forever to tune the right shift. I think I’m going to sell all my salmons, oranges, and Alps Keycaps and just save my ambers for special projects.

2 Likes