What is on your desk today?

• KBD67L translucent gray

• MT3 Cyber keycaps

• Boba U4 62g switches

• R1 polycarb plate & standoffs

• R2 optional YD67BLE bluetooth PCB

• KBDFans polycarb stabs

• GMK MECHA-01 deskmat

This guy was dressed in white this morning, but I couldn’t resist putting on these cybercaps - which I also think happen to work well with the deskmat.

A little dark inside for phone photos, a little bright outside for phone photos - I guess I should fish out my “real” camera…

Edit:

I have an actual desk now!

booty pics

I think the translucent case and yellow warning label only help the theme.

Tangentially related; I kinda like the marker-hand script version of the logo they use for these plastic cases. It’s got a sort of upstart-junior bootstrappy kind of vibe to me (that I also think fits “high tech low life” in a hacked toy sort of way), especially with the translucent case.

No, it’s not Comic Sans. :stuck_out_tongue: I do think referencing it is intentional, though, and I think it fits. Yes - the wide-tracked fat gothic font on the V3 case is much more professional looking, and almost certainly more appealing generally.

I’m sure most customers would appreciate if the same one were on all the cases, but for KBDFans, I honestly think it fits like a glove with the personality vibe I get from them. On that note, the YD67BLE PCB does have actual Comic Sans on it.

13 Likes

Tx-66 built with snow whites.

Here’s the full instagram post from today: Reece Conrad on Instagram: "TX-66 in white with GMK Taro (Milk tea mods) Happy hump day"
I don’t know why, but my Instagram links never show up keebtalk when I view it on my computer:

16 Likes

Lovely remark on the handwritten font. I too think it adds a nice touch.

Most strinking in your photos: Your wooden desktop :grin:

1 Like

Ha, thanks!

I love it! I also have to admit it isn’t real wood, convincing fake it may be.

My favorite part about the desk is that it can transition from sitting to standing with a button-press, and all-told it cost less than the keeb sitting on it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: The freedom of posture thing has been a game-changer for me.

Working from home with HHKB.

8 Likes

Back on my Infinitum.

GMK MoDo Light
Hyperglide blacks (205g0/105, 62g springs, TX films)
Full carbon fiber plate
Zeal V2 stabs (205g0)

14 Likes

Whew, I can hear this picture.

2 Likes

Got my NCR-80 kit in the other day.

I went with the hotswap + carbon fiber plate option on this one knowing that the bottom mount setup wouldn’t allow any flex that the plateless solder option could normally provide (with flex cuts for really no reason too).

While I love the look of the board, the stock sound couldn’t be worse as the shell is nearly all empty space, especially the forehead. I think I’ve made it acceptable with some mods (granted, I’m using stock switches which are contributing to the booty acoustics):

• a metric-butt-ton of Con-Tact Zip-N-Fit to fill up the void.
  • Tempest tape-modded the PCB (gaffer’s tape to avoid future residue).
  • filled the large gaps between the sides of the PCB/plate and the case with Sticky/Blue Tac.

Also of note, if you want to use VIA, or have any programmability at all for that matter, I’ll post my source below, but it does have two caveats:

1. once the files are extracted, you have to remove the Chinese characters from the file directory names or QMK Toolbox will not flash the hex (also, reset is a jumper on the PCB).
  2. VIA will not recognize the board out of the box and you have to upload the json file using the “Load Draft Definition” option in the DESIGN tab (your layout can still be saved for future use, but you always have to load it in this way).

/**** Google Doc Link – USE AT YOUR OWN RISK *************************************/
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FMbVakHGMp4_OxZcxU9GbDsXOOZ0ike5/view

Right now I’m rocking some stock Tangies until I lube a batch of JWICK Blacks (all nylon version – feels like rev 1 Alpacas, sounds like Cherry Blacks).

Sporting EPBT Sushi (circa 2018 – straighter spacebars than GMK has produced in over 2 years btw) for now as it’s the only beige/cream set that I own. I would love to pick up an OG Cherry doubleshot set, but I really don’t know where to look (suggestions please). Otherwise I’m debating on picking up EPBT Black Japanese or going with MT3 Susuwatari while I wait for CRP R4 if I can figure out which would look better (suggestions again welcome).

16 Likes

Is there any chance you have a photo of the solder pcb? I love the look but zfronter only has the layout for the hotswap version.

Sorry, no, just the hotswap version. Though the layout pic on the site isn’t accurate to the hotswap PCB because it supports regular and stepped capslock. What difference in layout would you like to have?

1 Like

BlackSimon made a Twitch stream assemblimg this board. He was able to make a keyboard all assembled for 130 dollars, pretty amazing Price.

1 Like

I’ll have to check that out. I’ve only ever watched his YouTube content.

Putting together another tester, this time for a co-worker who just happens to be looking for a better keyboard to replace her crappy office one, a generic mac-layout rattly chicklet thing.

Top-left to bottom-right;

• PB&J (U4T stem, Dragonfruit bottom)
  • Blue Velvet tactile
  • TTC Gold Blue (click-jacket)
  • Ink Kangaroo
  • Dragonfruit
  • Silent Box Brown, lubed
  • Diamond* replaced with Zaku
  • MMK Frog* replaced with Lubed Lightwave V2
  • MX Bobagum (MX Silent stem)

My goal here was to have an eclectic mix to act as a starting point, and from there get into more subtle variations of those picked as favorites.

8 Likes

This is at the following link:

2 Likes

The link didn’t show up for me, but I was able to find it on twitch. Thanks again for the heads up.

1 Like

My Planck macropad. Screen capture is obvious. TS for force-reloading TypeScript typings. New additions are Google Meet controls. GM doesn’t have Leave so I mapped it to window/tab close hotkey.

17 Likes

Homecoming for one of my first mechs! Brought this workhorse back from the office due to my workplace reinstating the work-from-home policy. While a custom luxury keyboard is a treat and modding keyboards is a fun time, there’s a nice simplicity in using a reliable prebuilt.

Specs

• Razer Blackwidow TE Stealth 2014
  • Razer Orange switches with o-rings (this might be sacrilegious, but I prefer the Razer Orange switch with o-rings; the dampened sound and soft bottom out is rather pleasant)
  • Ducky Stealth PBT keycaps
  • Razer PBT Upgrade keycaps for bottom row - a local enthusiast gave them to me as he did not need the old Razer bottom row keycaps for his keyboard
10 Likes

Sometimes, trawling the depths of r/mm, luck, and a lot of cleaning come together and pay off. I’ve always wanted an M60-A but could never stomach the aftermarket pricing so when this popped up at a very reasonable price, I jumped. The seller’s first deal fell through so that’s how I got the chance. It’s a Seq. 1 with the internal weight and I was initially unsure about how I’d like the sound profile with the weight but I’m really pleased with it. Even my wife said that it sounded nice, which is probably the most she’s ever said about any of my keyboards. After a lot of cleaning the case and PCB, I built it with:

• KTT Strawberry switches
  • Durock stabs
  • ePBT BoW

I wish I could track down Rama fasteners to replace what’s in it currently but that’s a very minor nitpick. Otherwise, I couldn’t be happier with this thing.

15 Likes

Looks amazing! Nice job on the build and clean up.

2 Likes

This looks beautiful! Great job with cleaning and tuning, and you have a board that you (and your wife) enjoy!

1 Like