What is on your desk today?

Skyloong GK61 Custom

5 Likes

Remind me again, the grade is thickness correct? So grade 2 is more like grease than oil… but what do the 206 vs. 205 numbers mean?

IIRC the numbers go something like this;

200 series is grease, 100 series is oil

The higher the third digit, the more viscous / thick they are at a certain temperature (40 degrees Celsius)

If I understand correctly, the NLGI consistency number (grade) also refers to viscosity, but solely in terms of how hard the grease is, with lower numbers being closer to liquid and higher numbers being closer to solid.

http://www.premiumgrades.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Viscosity-classifications(ISO).pdf

2 Likes

Ok, perfect that lines up with what I remember.

So 206 compared to 205 is “greasier”, and grade 2 means that it will “run” less than say grade 0. So sounds like 206g2 would work pretty well for stabs in that it is grease-y and should cling. :+1:

2 Likes

I think those details are correct. 200 is a grease-oil blend – with the higher last digit, the less oil in the mix. I thought the grade had to do with how much PTFE was in the mix with higher grades being more viscous due to a higher concentration. I could be wrong though.

Regardless, 206 G2 is rather thick and stays in place within a stab very well. Maybe not totally as good as dielectric grease, but it’s easier to pipe in.

1 Like

Swapped-in some TTC Matrix Tactiles on the Mojo, and gave the stabs a healthy squirt of 205g0 (still waiting on that 206g2). I also used PTFE thread tape on all the stab cross mounts, as they didn’t have the best grip on the caps. All of this has really cleaned up the sound of the keeb, leaving mostly the clackity-clack to do all the talking.

Man, I like these switches.

I also flipped the spacebar - confirming that’s a thing with MCR, and I prefer it like I usually do.

Can confirm about Gat Pros - aftermath of removing Yellows from the Mojo:

8 Likes

That’s one moist plate :rofl:

1 Like

Hubris & pipe

14 Likes

Oh, 13x4?

1 Like

Indeed! Makes for some interesting layout options.

It’s an ortho pcb for minivan cases (12.75), so the key spacing is a little squished. If I use a 7u space I need to use shaved keys to the right and left.

1 Like

Thanks — where did you get it?

1 Like

Still trying to get used to the tactility of bobas.

It’s not plugged in since I’m taking a break back to the world of light linears. It feels so different, and my typing speed immediately loses 20-30wpm when typing on my e8.5.

7 Likes

Originally on rainkeebs.mx, it’s a Minibaen. It’s now open source and easy to have manufactured:

Thank you so much, this might just save me from doing a PCB from scratch. :heart:

1 Like

I was not liking the sound or feel of the dcs caps on this board, too rattly for me. I swapped them out for red riot. I like the blanks for this form factor because I can have the f keys on the left but they can be the correct row profile, but I forgot the reason I haven’t used this set much is because sorting blank cherry profile caps is a pita. The story I heard when these shipped was that they are actually double shot with the same color and JTK had to sort them by had and basically said “never again” and won’t do blanks again. I like the way this sounds and feels a lot better.

17 Likes

Trying out some new switches; sound recordings in a bit, couldn’t resist sharing the dance party.

Edit: here’s a recording of them in the Portico:

If you hear ticking, that’s actually my un-tamed fingernails that need trimming. :stuck_out_tongue:

These TTC Frozen Silents are really quiet silent linears; performance is pretty comparable to the Deep Seas - maybe a touch softer / more quiet, but quite a bit more firm than a Bobagum.

I’m guessing the stems are polycarb; most of the keys wouldn’t stay on them without a touch of PTFE thread tape on the cross-mount - that did the trick, though.

3 Likes

After a bit in the ultrasonic cleaner, I was able to defunk those Gat Pro Silvers. What you’re left with is just new molded switches with that distinctive Gateron scratch. I totally get now why they shoot all that lube in as it’s cheaper than improving their actual mold design.

The more I tinker the more I’ve come to really appreciate what an absolute home run it is for a manufacturer to produce a tight tolerance, super smooth switch without the need to cut corners by over lubing “stock” switches.

3 Likes

Added a Ciel to the family. First intro to gummy o-ring mount and it’s a really nice one. If you have stabs/switches ready, this is such an easy to assemble keyboard. Love it

10 Likes

Wow, looks even better than the pictures in the product page! May I ask how you got one?

1 Like

Mechmarket :sweat_smile: A bit more than I wanted to pay for it unfortunately, but it did come with some stupidfish foam, an extra FR4 plate, extra o-ring, and it got to my doorstep 2 days after purchasing since the seller wasn’t too far from me–so I’m not too mad! Little gift to myself for landing a new job.

I know you’re still on your hunt. Hope you’re able to snag one somehow! Would recc. inquiring in the discord if you haven’t already. A seriously impressive board for the price.

8 Likes