What is on your desk today?

Yeah this is my first gummy o-ring board, I only have a Keychron k2, Keychron q2, leopold fc660c, and now this sequence. I really enjoy the ease of popping the whole thing out easily to do mods. But that also has some downsides, like if I go to pop a keycap off on one of the corners and the switch pops out, the o-ring quickly fills up the space where the switch would go and it’s nearly impossible to put the switch back in without having to take the entire assembly out and re-gummy the thing. So it has its ups and downs.

Actually just put my carbon fiber plate in it instead of the FR4, and also added some KBDfans modular foam in between the PCB and plate. Now it’s a muted marbley monster and I love it.

1 Like

Brought the work board home for a tune-up and facelift using a new case and a CRP r4 mishmash. New look feels very seasonally appropriate!

18 Likes

I find the symmetry to be most pleasing.

4 Likes

Haha thanks! that’s one of my favorite elements of the board and something I agonized over when choosing the caps lol

This counts as both a what did I get in the mail recently (which I’ll post over there), and a what is on my desk now:

So, I got the Mengmoda keyboards (I bought 2, one in white and this one) a couple of weeks ago. Thought I was getting something new, but it turns out it’s the same as the Feker Dopokey (same PCB and firmware), just the case is styled different. Not complaining, I like the brass accents, just wish there wasn’t a screw in the side plate. (Sorry about the hair in the photo.)

And, last but definitely not least: I finally received my order of Zealio’s Clickiez. First impression: I love the sound of them. I was worried that the force was going to be too much for me, but so far it hasn’t been an issue. Only thing that is kind of strange is it feels like my fingers are falling off a cliff after the tactile event…I may (or may not) get used to that in time.

7 Likes

I’ve been trying the DK Oni switches last night and today, and I am liking them so far. Long-pole linears aren’t my very favorite style, but I’ve enjoyed plenty of them, and I’d definitely include these among the more pleasant I’ve used so far.

@leemu I’m using them in my Portico (which is foam-mounted with an FR4 plate) with PBT Cherry profile caps on them. Some initial impressions; I don’t have any Salmons, but I do compare it here with a Carrot (another Tecsee long pole linear with a PME housing instead of HPE):

• Quite smooth. Not as revolutionary a feature as it used to be, but no less appreciated. Comparable in smoothness to the Carrot.

• Slightly less top-wobble than the Carrot, and what top-wobble it does have has a more clean feeling; more plastic nudging against itself than rattling like with the Carrot.

• Pitch is pretty high, but they don’t strike me as harsh sounding. Compared side-by side with a Carrot, the pitch and sharpness are lower.

• The bottom-out feel is clacky as expected, but less hard and harsh than the Carrot; I think pretty much all the differences boil down to HPE being a softer blend than PME.

• How loud they are will depend on how you type and what you mount them in, but generally I’d say these are less loud or at least make sound at a less harsh set of frequencies than the Carrot. Definitely clacky, but at least in my Portico the seem pretty moderate when it comes to noise. I don’t think you’ll be annoying anyone down the hall, but someone with sensitive hearing in the next cubicle might notice.

• Just like the Carrot (and many other Tecsee switches) there’s some spring-wiggle component to the sound. It’s pretty mild, though, and is less towards the forefront of the sound compared with the Carrot - again likely owing to the softer plastic.

Disclaimer: I’m mainly talking about the bottom-out impact sound when I say “higher pitched” or “deeper”, acoustics be complicated af, it’s all relative, YMMV, etc.

Mixing parts:

I was about to say “I think these are quite good but they don’t impress me quite as much as the Blue Sky Stars - it would be interesting to see how these housings do with an UHMWPE stem like those” - and then I realized I could just put a Diamond / Jadeite stem in there - so I did.

Welp - I can tell you I like both stock Diamonds and Oni more than either stem-swapped example. Diamond UHMWPE stem in the Oni HPE housing is fine if kind of underwhelming compared to the Blue Sky Stars; those could possibly be a different blend or shape. Some slip-stick on off-center presses.

The Oni stem in Diamond housing tip-toes into too tight territory - there’s basically zero wobble, but there’s some friction and slip-stick to go with that.

Doing a different swap with just the bottom housing switched turned out better, though I’m not sure it’s worth doing as the final results are pretty similar to the originals.

The Oni-bottom Diamond is smooth but it also looses much of its signature sound, and its spring is much more audible through the HPE vs the polycarb.

The Diamond-bottomed Oni gains a deeper bottom-out sound from the polycarb material, but looses just a hair of its original smoothness. If Tecsee doesn’t already make a PC-bottom long-pole linear, well - maybe they should. I could recommend buying those a lot sooner than I could recommend buying two whole sets of switches to get them.

8 Likes

Trying out my new lights.

I definitely have a lot to learn, but no longer feel at such a deficit when it comes to this particular tool.

Keeb:

KBD67 lite

• GMK Prepress
  • Smokey grey case
  • Bluetooth PCB (YD67BLE)
  • TTC Silent Bluish Whites
  • C3 Equalz V3 stabs w/ mods
  • Bottom silicone added
14 Likes

The Tecsee Carrots do have some kind of rattly sound, mainly the stem hitting the housing, not all switches has them but enough do.
Are they lubed? maybe lubing them might migate this annoying sound.

Also, do you find that the KBD67 Lite’s silicone add-on interfere with closing the case? the silicone piece I got presses against the PCB a bit when closing the case.

1 Like

I think they have very light factory oil. Lubing definitely helps; but the clip legs on PME housings like Carrots have are very easy to break, so it takes some care.

Yes.

I got it closed and everything seems fine, but it’s definitely right up against the PCB and really changes the feel. It adds a good amount of weight which I like (and I also think it looks neat), but I think I generally prefer the sound and feel of the 67L without it.

1 Like

I can’t wait to try the Clickiez in a board, but I really have been loving the Oni switches - so here’s a quick recording of those before I swap them out:

1 Like

Alright - giving those Clickiez a shot. @leemu - this one’s for you!

Okay. I think I see what Thomas and other Alps enjoyers are on about when it comes to this click leaf business. I understand these aren’t the same as Alps, but give something of a window into their character through the lens of MX. This kind of click tactility is indeed wholly unlike anything else in the MX wheelhouse.

Click Mode:

Significantly more punchy than any click-jacket; like not even in the same universe. The only MX clicky that even gets close to these when it comes to that punchy feeling is the BOX Navy, but that’s decidedly more sharp and harsh.

This round of Clickiez are absolute tactility monsters. They make BOX Royals seem quaint - and that’s before you put them into tactile mode. More on that later.

Don’t get me wrong - this tactile event is like a cliff, and it’s very strong. As soon as you start pushing on the switch, you’re pushing against that tactile event - and when you break through it, you’re slamming the bottoms unless you’re trying very hard not to.

I think the harshness of the Navy really comes from the sound - while click-bar switches are much more clean and crisp than their click-jacket counterparts, neither produce the kind of chunky sound these leaves do. For an MX clicky, these are very deep sounding. It’s still a click, but it’s a different click.

Here’s a sound comparison between an NK_ BOX Midnight Jade (a switch using a thick click-bar like the Navy’s) and a Zeal Clickiez 100g:

Like the click-bar, the leaf makes an essentially rattle-free sound, but like a typical click-jacket, the noise it makes on the way up is much more quiet than on the way down.

Despite punching like Mike Tyson, I’m finding these surprisingly usable. I’m still getting used to them, only having a few hours with them so far, but the crisp and positive confirmation provided by the leaf makes breezing through words surprisingly smooth for me. They are a bit stronger than my preference, but a lot more usable for me than a great many other extra-strong tactiles (clicky or otherwise).

Compared with a Cream Tactile, for example - I believe the peak force on these is actually higher, but the broadness of the bump and weight of the spring on those tired me out and felt awkward to me in a way that these don’t. These are ultra-firm with the bump, but that crisp feedback makes it work for me.

I’ll see how I feel after a week or so, but these are impressing me so far. I’d really like to see something like this available with a variety of leaves to choose from - and of course maybe a price not quite so through the roof. As-is they are sort of in novelty territory - but you do get gobs of novelty for your dollar.

Linear Mode:

I have the least to say about this so far; feels like a polycarb Gateron Cap linear, which is to say good. If you've used any Cap linear before, try to imagine that with a harder housing.

Specifically, there’s a little texture you can hear and feel, but the travel is otherwise very smooth and stable. Spring wiggle is also easiest to hear in this mode, having much less competing sound to be drowned-out by.

As linears, these offer a very good experience - but you can get at least this good of one for a lot less money if you just want some nice linears.

Get these if you want linears that can transform into crunchy clickies and monster tactiles at-will, and don’t mind paying the highest stock switch price I can currently think of.

Tactile Mode:

So far I've only tried this with a few individual switches on a tester, but I can tell you a few things based on that.

The 60g in tactile mode is more aggressive-feeling than the 100g in clicky mode. Held in the hand, tactile mode is distinctly less loud - but in a tester, it’s only less sharp because of how hard a natural keystroke will bottom-out. It’s perhaps a less clean sound owing to all the vibration going on in there being vocalized by the spring, but you still have to listen for that - which considering the absurd tactility of this configuration, is pretty amazing.

The 100g in tactile mode might as well be a nuclear launch button, or one of a pair used to activate a massive industrial cutter. I personally can’t even imagine using it to type with - but maybe Chewwy and his space-bear kin would be right at home with them.

To borrow a phrase from aforementioned afficionado Thomas, the tactility on these things is

M a s t a d o n t i c

To borrow some content from my mail post, here’s some more Clickiez crunchiness:

A quick close-up video to show the click-leaf in action:

Don’t mind my yardwork hands and ZZ Top in the background…

The switches analogized to Dark Souls weapons:

Either weight in linear mode:

washing_pole

60g click mode:

Club

100g click mode:

large_club

60g tactile mode:

great_club

100g tactile mode:

dragon_tooth

15 Likes

Interesting sound, clicks are clear when tested alone but I’m hearing “chirps” instead in typing test recording. Can’t say I ever entertained the thought of having a keyboard that sound like birds chirping.

4 Likes

There definitely is a “chirping” quality to the sound - great word again. It’s especially prominent if you hold one up to your ear.

2 Likes

Omg the weapons comparison. Nothing has ever been so helpful to approximate the feel of switches. Lmao.

3 Likes

Man I’m jealous. Mine are on hold waiting for Crystals to arrive because I unemployedly foolishly bundled my orders together to save on shipping.

1 Like

I’ve done the same - and would have then, too - if I wasn’t busy waffling on whether or not to get the Crystals to the point of buying them separately. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Finished the Monokei Hidari build:

• hotswap PCB, POM plate
  • U4T 62g stock (will probably increase spring weight in these)
  • staebies stabilizers (I borked some of these pretty bad. My backspace and space bar are slow on the return, and the enter key on the numpad won’t even return. Not sure what I did)
  • GMK Noire

It was a super fun build. It is screwless and seamless so there were some extra steps from other builds I have done which made it interesting. It has a high pitched “clack” sound which is what I was after, so I am happy (other than my messed up stabilizers).

12 Likes

My nearly finished Norbaforce Mark III, Ghost of Christmas Future. The plan was just to “lightly” modify it and you’ll see how I missed that mark completely.

Modifications
Starting with a Realforce PFU TKL, 45g silent.

1. Lubed all housings with RO-59 for the slider bearing surface and 205g0 for the slider rails.
  2. Stabilizers lubed with 206g2.
  3. Used DESKeys Blue BKE domes (55g).
  4. Heavy (70g) dome under space bar, which is proving to maybe be a touch too much.
  5. Extreme (90g) dome under escape key to support the heavy brass artisan.
  6. A single MX slider for the escape key so I could use said brass artisan.

What remains?
I’ve still got a little RGB strip light controller to add, but I bought the wrong style of strip light so they won’t work. I’ll have to wire that into the USB connection under the board, then connect it all up.

I’m also thinking about making a big filler for the forehead area. Something that can be printed in flexible TPU to add additional dampening.

Impressions
It feels great, the lubrication is about as good as I can imagine it feeling. The domes might be a touch too heavy overall though, but especially at the spacebar. So I might actually step them all back one level here in the near future.

Then again, strong fingers are definitely useful.

27 Likes

Did you paint the plate?

2 Likes

Indeed. It was some paint we had around, but I liked to color. I only wish I could have found a metallic version of this color. I think that would have given some depth.

2 Likes