What is on your desk today?

:crab:

1 Like

I was like… I don’t get it… OOH :crab:

Stunning pairing with those caps on the pink Tenet

1 Like

And also kind of an unplanned nod to KT having left the building for a little bit :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Good layout for mouse users.

3 Likes

They were definitely worth the wait!

1 Like

Would love to see such a keyboard, but still with MagicForce 68 style navigation blocks on the right.

That would be ideal for my ham radio shack computer, where function keys are essential for running contest macros.

1 Like

When the locker at work is not big enough to store the Heavy-6, it’s HHKB time :relieved:

12 Likes

My current setup with Zoom65 and BobaU4t, pretty love it

10 Likes

Bakeneko65

• MT3 Black Speech
  • Invokeys Black Sesame V2 lubed
  • TX V3 stabs (fits so-so with o-ring)
  • Stock FR4 plate
  • Soft o-ring
  • Silicone weight, no foam

Noisy A/C in the background. :stuck_out_tongue:

This build has a bony, yet mostly clean sound - save for some spring wiggle. I’m not sure I’ve ever tried a factory switch that’s managed to eliminate that completely.

10 Likes

NightFox (Input Club + mtt3o WhiteFox Vera in black)

• TTC Ace linears
  • AE Staebies
  • MT3 Darkness
  • PE foam & force-break mod
  • Modded plate from “TrueFox” —> “Aria” layout

Early impressions - let’s do bullet points about it:

Bad news first:

• Case screws are dainty, not metric
  • Stabs are cheap, plate-mount
  • No warranty, de-soldering required
  • Salvaged switches not fully functional; only good for springs & small parts

Middlin’:

• Supports LEDs, but doesn’t come with any, and only single-color
  • North-facing is good if you want to add LEDs and have backlit legends, but not so good if you want to use Cherry profile keycaps and the like. Not really a “negative” because some prefer North-facing, and even if not, it’s easy enough to overcome with short travel switches or spacing shims - but it is a potential reason someone might choose a different chassis

What I like:

• Lots of layout options on the PCB
  • Supports better stabs including screw-in (having an either/or option is rare even today)
  • USBC
  • Edge-mount; it’s a tray, but the “standoffs” are evenly spaced around the outer edge
  • Easy enough to remap
  • Actually protective carrying case
  • Open-source everything
  • Feet aren’t adjustable, but use a standard available in various sizes

Waxing about this thing in 2023

As a $40-ish rescue project, this was fun - and I have to say I enjoy the final product more than I expected to when I started. 10 years ago when the first iteration of this keyboard was designed, the hobby was indeed in a very different place. As such, this chassis lacks many features now considered standard.

That said, there’s still a good keyboard buried in there - it just takes a little effort to squeeze it out. I did this one in a leisurely setting (literally on a plank of wood in my lap on the couch) over about 8 hours. If you skipped experimenting with modding the plate and subsequently fiddling with stabs, I bet it could be done a lot faster.

Straight out of the box it sounds and feels rough. This isn’t really a surprise - I’m pretty sure every pre-built (or pre-assembled kit) from 7-ish years ago feels rough. These days even ultra-budget keyboards like CIYs and RedDragons have features like isolation mounting and layout customization, making this one seem pretty quaint in a lot of ways - especially considering the MSRP. In [current year] there’s no reason to spend that on a keyboard like this - but for $30 plus shipping, that’s a little different.

I think I’d actually considered buying one of these the last time I saw them on sale and balked at the weird layout - this time I actually just didn’t notice until after I ordered - so I was stoked to find out the PCB supports all kinds of options. The included plate is set to a particular layout, but it’s soft enough to modify with flush cutters and the plate files are available for download.

So - while the chassis lacks many modern considerations that are genuinely standard these days, the PCB is thoughtfully designed and remains pretty darn versatile. I made a quick-and-dirty mod to the plate so I could use my preferred layout - that made the backspace stabs a lot harder to dial-in - but once I got those sorted I really started to enjoy this keyboard. There’s something satisfying to me about a solid, simple tool that does a simple job well - I’d say this build falls into that category at this point.

If you’re wanting to polish a turd into diamond, this may present a challenge - there’s definitely a tuning ceiling here thanks to the slim design and basic mounting - but it may also be higher than it first seems. Use the provided plate files to have a POM replacement made, add a little tape and foam to some strategic places, upgrade some components - you might be surprised how enjoyable it becomes.

I love my fancy keebs, but I also really appreciate one that’s nice to use without being precious - like a trusty wrench. This is a keeb I don’t have to think twice about tossing into a bag, using in static-y winter weather, or typing on 'til the cows come home. There’s a good chance it’s going to last as long as I need it to - but if it doesn’t, I’m not out “keyboard money”.

9 Likes

Foundation with Terrazo top.

I just happened to have Soware sitting out so I put it on here. Plan to swap out to Polybius soon. This is using vertex v one switches. I love them. Top stock switch for me.

Anywhoo, posting some bad photos because I love the look and needed to share.

12 Likes

16 Likes

This is really not helping my urge to give the 980C a shot. That’s a thing of true beauty!

3 Likes

Maan, maaaaaaan. I’m trying to save the money.

3 Likes

Little refresh on the ALF this afternoon. Still using the TKC Blackberries, but a new color on the face. Contrakey Blue on Bluish.

5 Likes

consider yourself enabled

LEOGANG

1 Like

Noooo! Thankfully (or unfortunately) for me they seem fairly rare on the secondhand market so I may have to sit this one out for a while.

I could get you a black one. Around 250 Euros. :grin:

1 Like

How many sets of Ursa does it include? :grin:

Haha, none as of now. I’m still on my mini printer, and doing a set for myself will probably take me 15 days of printing and legend filling. I’m not feeling it, not with this heat around the fumes.

4 Likes