What's on your workbench today?

One more. I got this one and love it. So handy.

1 Like

Thanks yes I went JLCPCB. Quality of the PCB was good, silk screen was okay but the price was right.

Nice I have seen that one too.

2 Likes

2 Likes

“All Clacks” Switches (Tactile Community Switch R1)

2 Likes

Finally got all the bits and bobs together that I need to begin playing around with SMD soldering.

First tried the old fashioned way of using a fine iron tip and plenty of flux. Had some success, although one of the diodes got stuck to my iron tip and melted. The pins on the USB connector are so fine I really struggled.

So next I experimented with using a hot plate. I happen to have a hot plate for grilling meat and veggies at the dinner table and although I thought it might not get hot enough, I only needed to go to half power to get my solder paste to melt.

I used an metal bracket to sit he PCB on so I could easily remove it with a pair of tweezers, but actually I could just have turned the hot plate off and let it cool down slowly.

The final product had a couple of solder bridges on the USB pads that I had to carefully fix with my iron. My had really isn’t steady enough for this super fine work, but with flux, a magnifier, and a bit of patience I could just about manage.

6 Likes

First working optical switch :slight_smile:

Go below if you want more details:

5 Likes

Great!

The hot plate trick is IMO a good way to solder PCBs :wink:

If you cleans stabs more than most, these are an easy button for it. With a few spins, all the grease grim is gone.

3 Likes

I just so happen to use those at work for cleaning delicate printing bits - perfect!

1 Like

I don’t know that I’ve ever cleaned stabilizers. I usually just cram more gunk in them. :smiley:

4 Likes

You’re a savage good sir!

I use peices of string or anything similar and just run it through like flossing

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned, they eat grease, and you have to keep feeding them.

2 Likes

I got my first Durock stabs and I’m looking forward to seeing what’s all the fuss about!

8 Likes

I have just finished and they are so much better than the stock ones i got with my tofu. At first i was very sceptical but i think I have really nailed the tuning part and they really feel and sound really smooth. Would recommend 10/10. :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Just finished lubing and filming my SP Star Meteor Oranges

13 Likes

My first polished keycap board:

• keycaps: KBDfans WoB PBT doubleshot set
  • blank mods: KBDfans Cherry POM set
  • switch: Tealios filmed and lubed w/205g0
  • rest: Polaris with full brass plate

Not many options in WoB keyset if you prefer PBT over ABS so went with what KBDfans recently stocked. Alphas are decent but texture wasn’t so I polished their tops with 6000 grit micro-mesh. I may do another pass, focusing on the top edges.

Side mods had unbearable legend issues so replaced them w/Cherry POM set which sounds deep and thocky.

UPDATE1: After polishing the edges, I polished top surfaces again and this cheap doubleshot PBT keycaps now definitely feel as good as ePBT and CRP keysets I have. If you have doubleshot PBT keysets with rough texture, consider polishing with micro-mesh to get the feel you want.

14 Likes

Brass peeking through WoB is so dang classy.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

My dad was kind enough to bring a keyboard from his work trip to Oaklahoma.

It’s modding time!

6 Likes

I made a frame to hold two switch openers, because opening them two at a time makes the whole process only marginally less annoying.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/91361-keyboard-switch-opener-frame

It holds two of the Kelowna brand openers that you can get for a very reasonable price at Flashquark.

12 Likes