What's on your workbench today?

Making ghetto gaskets for my new LW67 FR4 plate out of double stick tape and good old zip-n-fit contact shelf liner

Not sure if it will compress enough, but I have some thinner craft foam for plan B

9 Likes

Another day, another silicone pour. I hope it’s done tomorrow to test it out. I made a few tries with the board now, and never really was satisfied with the sound. I really hope this works now.

10 Likes

Built my RS60 with a PC plate today. Felt great. Sounded super hollow and pingy on the top row and sides.

So, I decided to add some small strips of tape around the screw holes for a “force break” mod.

Sound went from 5/10 to 9.5/10.

Completely different sound profile. Sounds perfect now!

I’ll post better photos on a sunny day and try to show the mod. For now I’m enjoying typing on it too much to take it back apart. Forgot how much I like lilac tactile switches.

9 Likes

This mod is magic, no need to stuff your board with foam :smiley:

2 Likes

Exactly. my first instinct was “this board might need some foam.” But there’s not really room for it. So I tried this first. Stunning difference.

2 Likes

Started soldering my second CRKBD, greatly improved my SMD LED soldering technique. But now I’m out of LEDs for the other half.

7 Likes

The Hello M0110 is at the Cerakoter’s so until then this beaut will be getting plenty of sexy eyes from me. Lol. Does anyone have a link to the plate files or know of a shop with them in stock? I’m thinking something in copper would be so perfect.

8 Likes

A full review with extensive testing is on its way, but the Geon Tool is making a good impression on me so far.

8 Likes

The plate file is posted in the thocc supply discord: Discord

I built mine with a PC plate and like it a lot.

I also liked the zebra wood one a that you can still get here:

But, uh, yeah I had a mixup with that wooden one. So im not sure how it feels in the correct case. :grimacing:

5 Likes

That’s a twofer, plate files do exist and TIL they also make wooden plates for 60%. I’m much obliged good sir!

1 Like

The 4pplet.com pcb works in it if u want to build it with alps.

2 Likes

Tata80 - the slow build…

Lubed and screwed in the M-One stabs. Never screwed in stabs before and learned it’s a bit fiddly…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Next step: deciding on the foam…that’ll take me at least one fishing session :fishing_pole_and_fish: (I’m on holiday :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Edit: one fishing session later…I’ll go all foam and if I don’t like it, start removing foam bit by bit :wink:

Also, excited to try the Aflion Blue Sky Switches that I toyed with for the Keebmonkey Cozy75 (they sounded so much better than the Momoka Frogs!)

4 Likes

So far, so good.

Note to self, buy more switches for a TKL…:person_facepalming:t2:

Out of curiosity, when trialling different switches for a board, do you have a preferred spot and use a few switches, or do you do the full board? I find that they often sound differently in different spots (depending on the keyboard), making comparisons hard.

Next up, installing the swan gaskets and putting it all in the case.

3 Likes

Got a Nissho in and decided to rebuild it after harvesting the keycaps. Was able to retrofit a 104u to allow for USB C cable to be added. Uniform 30g domes are pretty nice too!

11 Likes

It looks like I might have gotten a dodgy batch of switches as about 20-30% don’t actuate :pensive: it didn’t even occur to me that that was a thing…it’s a bummer as I really liked the sound and feel of the Blue Sky switches and I hope I can troubleshoot with the vendor

2 Likes

The CST finally got button 4/5 today, the Kailh Choc fit perfect in there. And with Mill-max attached to the cables, just in case.

9 Likes

If you’ve ruled out bent pins, bad PCB, broken hotswap sockets, etc… that’s incredibly bad luck. Out of about the 2000 switches I own (about 24 sets), I think I’ve only had two individual switches where they didn’t actuate, and one of those was probably because I broke something opening it up. Hope the vendor sends you replacements.

1 Like

Today on my table. The table itself
Updated my desktop.
The table has become larger, but there is no more space at all ((((

Summary

6 Likes

That’s a great looking desk! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I pulled out my southpaw today and put in a bit of elbow grease to repolish the weight since it’s been a couple of years and I’m planning to bring it to the Greenville meetup in March.

All photos

8 Likes