What's on your workbench today?

Wasn’t sure where to post. Was on my workbench most of the day and now it’s on my desktop.

I finally committed the Bluish White switches to solder!

This is one of my two Gemini keyboards by Night Owl Keyboards. I was never able to get a top that supports the Novatouch, but it’s a lovely MX board. This one is cerakoted in a color-shifting Stingray finish. The most challenging keyboard I have had to photograph. Keycaps are GMK Thai Tea.

And I completely forgot to get a shot of the awesome copper plate it has for Instagram . :confused:

Building was more challenging than my polycarbonate Gemini. The tolerances were very narrow before cerakote. So with the paint, this sucker has TIGHT tolerances.

More color challenges on the Instagram post

15 Likes

Gosh, that color is amazing - and it compliments that set like they were made for each-other. Very nice.

3 Likes

Again not keeb related, got a bunch of ESP32 yesterday.

7 Likes

Today greased two switches. But only one was installed. Switch Feker.

Both switches have good tolerances. Film is not needed.

I decided to install “Feker” on Tiger80. BUT since I bought stickers for PE modding. Decided to stick them on.

Video:
Here is an example of how pbt and abs sounds and is pressed. Also for comparison with Durock pom.

And here is just a comparison on a bare board.

I got a very slow pressing. They are lighter without lubrication. I lubed Krytox 205g0.

4 Likes

Being a Lego fan I finally broke down and bought the Adam keyboard. It’s definitely more of a novelty, but it’s not terrible either.

The board came with switch plate mounted stabs so I just used them. You could add some screw in stabilizers if you were so inclined.

The building blocks went together okay, but there’s a world of difference between the knock offs and actual legos. The tolerance on these blocks are such that they do make the case warp a bit. Once it’s all together it’s not that noticable.

I stuffed it with TTC Sparkly Blue switches.

Then because I had them, some SA Seafaring keycaps finished it off. I actually really like this set, but never had a place for it to land. So here we go.

I suppose the thing to do would be to completely remake it with actual Lego pieces and even augment it from there. What will likely happen is that it will go on the display shelf.

10 Likes

I started pricing. It’s doable, but pretty pricey. The big issue is that you can’t get the large base plate in very many colors. Such a fun keyboard. It sounds and feel really good too, don’t you think?

2 Likes

It’s really better than I would have thought. It kind of defies explanation too because there’s really not much going on here. Perhaps it’s just the simplicity of the whole thing?

Good to know about the prices. I probably have enough pieces to get reasonably close here, but then I’d be pirating a bunch of kits that the kids might build again one day. Buying a piece at a time sure does add up really quickly.

4 Likes

Those switches look very similar to Tecsee Sapphire

That’s what they’re called I think. I can never remember the names of switches. I was tempted to call them “1970’s speed boat blues”.

3 Likes

After lubrication and installation. They are very pleasant.
No lubrication high pitched sound. Blow up, very loud, high pitched sound. Lube takes it out. But you need to lubricate very thinly. There is a very good body and stem.

There is an effect when someone is typing, then the sound of pebbles.
Here the effect is similar to the sound of glass balls or a crunch when the board from fr4 is broken))))))

7 Likes

I’m done now, but I removed my TTC Aces from my Portico75 in preparation to use them in my Malicious Ergo, filmed the last of my Tangerines, and returned them to my Portico. In the process, I removed the standoffs and plate pad from the Portico. I feel that it indeed softens the bottom out somewhat and would have been a nice offset to the dual-stage springs in the Aces, but I’m going to reinstall it later to tighten up the sound and feel with the Tangerines.

2 Likes

Not exactly on the workbench, but - finally getting the collection up on the wall!

I’ve had this in mind for years. These are the first three of twelve I have on-hand, but I’ll probably grab more because they seem great for keebs, too.

I put a random assortment on this first set of shelves just to see what the jars look like up there - I’m really happy with these.

(If you're curious what's in these jars)

Left to right, top to bottom:

• Gazzew × Smith+Rune U4Tx Plums (Outemu)
  • Durock Lilac Tactiles (JWK)
  • Matrix Lab × TTC 55g Wilds
  • Moondrop × G•Square Lunalights (HaiMu)
  • NK_ × RFP Silk Emeralds (JWK)
  • JWICK Nylon T1s
  • NK_ × RFP BOX Midnight Jades (Kailh)
  • TKC × C³Equalz 67g Tangerines (JWK)
  • DK Onis (Tecsee)
  • Cherry MX Blacks
  • Akko POM Browns
  • ~
  • Prevail Epsilons (JWK)
  • Ajazz Sky Blues (Zorro)
  • Fekker Matcha Greens
  • Moyu.studio Queens (JWK)
  • Gazzew × Nixdork Boba LTs (Outemu)
  • ThicThock Marshmallows (JWK)
  • ULLIAM × Protozoa Studio Nightwalker Nightcalls (JWK)
  • Chitong × TTC Aces
  • HaiMu Heartbeats
  • Invokeys Black Sesames, factory lubed version (Aflion)
  • NK_ Creams+ (Kailh)
  • ~
  • Chosfox × Kailh Pink Unicorns
  • NK_ Silk Olivias (JWK)
  • Tecsee Purple Pandas
  • Outemu Silent Lemons
  • Ajazz × Huano Diced Fruit Kiwis
  • TTC Hearts AKA Honeys or Loves
  • JWICK Taros
  • Akko Crystal Blues
  • DK Blueys (JWK)
  • Wuque Studio Onions (JWK)
  • TTC Bluish Whites
12 Likes

That looks amazing! And they seem a perfect fit for the jar size, too.

I e been playing with my shelf, but need to get back to the laser cutter for some adjustments…

1 Like

Sorted out the duds from the Aflion replacement switches the wonderful vendor sent. he sent more than necessary as he didn’t want to test himself, and so now I even have some extras! I’d say about 25% were DOA :flushed:

Great service, no fuss and really quick!

Now I’m pleased to have a full Aflion Blue Sky filled Tata80 :relieved:

Photo just because…

12 Likes

Wow, dude! I love this. Perfect.

1 Like

SWKs. Wee little rails. Nubs?

Here’s a blurry closeup of the stem:

8 Likes

Not exactly my “work bench” but…switched out the keycaps on the 5º.
Here it is with Drop x Marvel Black Panther MT3 set.

7 Likes

Got the rest of the shelves up… for now. The “Switch Corner” lives again, and quite a bit bigger than ever! Not organized at all yet - really just seeing how they look on the wall (and reclaiming some bookshelf space) - I’m going to enjoy arranging these like so many home-screen icons.

If you’re curious, that’s 132 jars on the wall there. Mostly TKL-sized sets, with a few smaller ones - and yes, there’s more - but this is the majority of my current collection.

27 Likes

I didn’t know a corner could be beautiful, but there you are :wink: wonderful work!

2 Likes

11 Likes