Which Lube for Switch Lube: An updated guide on the what, how, and where of switch lubricants

Ofc I will try to link back here and introduce keebtalk to the readers. Thank you very much!

4 Likes

I can see two additions (maybe add in a “Specialty” section):

1. Christo-Lube MCG 110, 112, and 129 – 112 is (so far) best non-dry choice for Cream switches
  2. Dry PTFE
    • Apply as liquid then dries – Finish Line Dry Teflon – easiest choice for Alps switches
    • Dry PTFE powder – currently best choice for Cream (and Nolive) switches – VERY messy
1 Like

I unfortunately haven’t tried these lubes just yet. Might get on MCG but I don’t know if I’ll ever try the powder. Do you have experience with these? I’d be happy to add a section if you wanted to add to the guide!

Haven’t had experience with Christo-Lube or the PTFE powder – just recently picked up an order of Cream switches and the Christo-Lube seems to win out simply for not being as messy as the powder.

I’ve tested out the Finish Line Dry Teflon on some Alps switches but not a full board yet – has the advantage that you can apply it with a brush and then it dries like a powder (less mess) – and you have to go with dry lubricants with Alps switches because they’re such dust magnets that oils and greases will just start to gum up.

quoted your reply about the graphene if you don’t mind?

Go ahead. And again thanks for building bridges

no problem!
this is the post, it’s on Zfrontier CN

1 Like

Can I use engine oil to lube the springs?

Noticing that some switches come with a light film of lube already. Do you guys wipe it off before applying your preferred lube?

Generally yes, I do. I prefer to know what I have on my switches and allows me to ensure a consistent coat.

1 Like

Now that both Novelkeys and Switchmod have their lubes restocked… I’d really like at least some guide on the thicknesses of Krytox and Christo-Lube since I’m unused to them. I’m planning to mainly lube linears and Topre clones, and am utterly confused on what i should be getting to make these darn things even quieter!

1 Like

I’m probably going to order some MCG lube so hopefully that can help add some data points for that. Keep in mind the krytox that novelkeys is stocking is grade 00 so it’ll be even thinner than what is normally used for lubing!

2 Likes

There’s a lot of good info on Christo lube throughout this thread: Cristo-Lubes Mini-Review. Particularly @donpark’s description of using it with Topre should be very helpful.

3 Likes

Going to lube some Yok mint switches up but they come prelubed. What would you guys recommend cleaning them with? Some spots are really hard to reach.

1 Like

Going to lube some Yok mint switches up but they come prelubed. What would you guys recommend cleaning them with? Some spots are really hard to reach.

Nah. Embrace laziness as a virtue like I do. It’s not only rewarding but has kept me out of trouble for years. Repeat this mantra: “OH F**K IT.”

7 Likes

I just… Didn’t clean mine. Just slapped 3204 on the housing and we’re done for the day.

4 Likes

JTTR has a guide on cleaning them.

I plan on using micro fiber and lint free PCB Board Cleaning Swabs. Not trying to buy an ultrasonic cleaner that still doesn’t get 100% of the lube out.

2 Likes

LOL thank you all for the guidance.

2 Likes

Yeah the factory lube is a pain in the ass, & I have no clue why they did it either. 99% of the people buying them are enthusiasts who will be lubing them themselves. So why cater to the 1%? Furthermore the lube is applied so horribly inconsistently it doesn’t help anyone!

Anyways, the YOK Red & Trash Pandas I’ve gotten were not factory lubed so hopefully the Mints are the same. If not I’ve found working with MD’s Holy Pandas just using a lube applicator to remove as much of the factory lube is fine for cleaning them. It gets just about all of it out & smooths out any that is left evenly, so when you apply whatever your lube of choice there is no worry about inconsistentcy in the amounts on each switch.

1 Like

Received some YOK Mints today and it doesn’t seem pre-lubed.

1 Like