Your favorite tactile?

Agree with all your points on this being a hobby I still purchase and build boards myself just because it’s a true hobby. I think so many people are fixated on the endgame solution that it gets out of hand. However my observation stalking the Mech forums is that a fair amount of the community use/build/sell mechanical keyboards however seem to choose a topre keyboard as their more frequently used board.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve tried enough tactile switches to say that I have a favorite. With that said, I can say for certain that I do not like MX / Gateron Browns. The tactility is almost non-existent to me, unless I type much slower / softer than normal, or if I specifically go looking for the bumps. I understand that they are a favorite / workhorse for other folks, but if I have a choice, I will steer clear of them.

Same. I am confused why there are more votes for Browns than Clears right now

1 Like

Might be the only one they’ve tried :thinking:

On Reddit maybe, but I don’t think they’d be on Keebtalk.

1 Like

Tactile switches are my favorites & I have tried many. To me there is no comparing to ALPS SKCM browns or oranges (amber, cream, & salmon should fit the bill too, but I have yet to try those variants). They easily have the best tactile feedback to me. It almost feels like you are punching through the switch with them, not overcoming a bump like with MX or not a catastrophic collapse like Topre/BKE domes. Very satisfying IMHO, definitely switches any tactile lover should at least try! :metal:

1 Like

Ergo Clears vary a lot depending on the housing used so maybe it should be broken out.
I personally enjoy Clear-minded Panda/Bsun far more than Zealios.

Box Burnt Orange :slight_smile:

But I am about to make some Holy MX (?) – Cherry MX Blue housing, Halo True stems. High hopes.

Only tactiles I’ve tried so far are Matias Quiet Click and MX Brown. And of course, many rubber domes.

I didn’t like MX Brown that much, but I feel kind of bad, since it’s such an underdog switch! I actually have some coming my way thanks to a cool DT guy!

Quiet click is… interesting. I think it could beat many tactiles out of the partk, if ONLY there was no dampening or that second slight bump. I would love to try out a good tactile switch myself. Maybe topre would be good, but I always talk smack about its price for a reason. There is the Plum thing apparently that’s also electrocapacitive but not ludicrously priced, but haven’t tried it.

Takeaways so far:

• We can dethrone Topre
  • MOD switches are more popular than I thought
  • MX Browns > Clears. WHAT?

NO MX BROWN is not an underdog switch. It’s probably the most popular switch! Sadly, it’s very bad.

3 Likes

underdog in the enthusiast keyboard world! Who knows, maybe I’ll end up liking them in the long run. I’m gonna put them in a g80 -1826 chassis I have. That was my first MX keyboard, it had MX blacks originally.

Dell KB-522 rubberdomes are my favorite tactile. I’ve owned/sold dozens of mechanical keyboards and I keep returning to this one.

I need to get on my hands and knees and beg Haata to do a force curve on it and recommend something similar because I’m getting bored of the layout.

So topre then? :joy:

1 Like

For me, when I tried stock Topre, the reaction was, “What? This was the fuss? YOU"VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.” Others, obviously, disagree, and for those folks, whose opinion I find disagreeable, there’s something wrong with you.

I’m only joking. Preferences are what they are, and it’s a big world with many different opinions, ways of thought, and whatnot. Everyone should try Topre. Choices are good.

It’s all a matter of exposure.

2 Likes

bke ultralights. i never liked tactile switches before i started using them, including zealios and ergo-clears

I switched over to Krytox Liquid for MX Blacks and 3204 for anything else,
still use Superlube Grease for stabilizers.

1 Like

Burroughs terminal (the one HaaTa has).

Orange Creamsicle Alps.

Korean 55g dome sheet in a “Nopre” (Plum EC87) keyboard.

I visit HaaTa sometimes, I’ll see if I can bring along a Dell rubberdome the next time I do.

1 Like

I’ll second this opinion! I have found a Krytox oil (VPF1514 being my fav) to work exceptionally well for linear switches. :metal:

I am surprised no one has really mentioned Box Browns, I love that switch and now I am wondering if there is a similar weight tactile switch that people regard as better.