Just received the email below. Not entirely sure I understand the entire situation to be honest. I ordered the hotswap/fixed version. Does this affect me at all?
PROJECT UPDATES - JULES STATEMENT
Unfortunately, it has come to our attention that a manufacturing error has occurred with the production of Jules.
Some customers who ordered a solderable Jules have received VARIABLE plates that do not fit into the enclosure.
After some investigation, below is the chain of events that led to this situation:
- Jules draft files were sent to the manufacturer for initial quoting.
- Zambumon made some small changes to the model, creating Jules final files.
- Jules final files were sent to the manufacturer to produce prototype units. These are the units shown in photos and videos.
- Jules final files were sent to the manufacturer for the final production order.
- The manufacturer produced Jules enclosures and FIXED plates using the Jules draft files instead of the final files.
- Once RAMA WORKS received the units at our warehouse, we discovered that the VARIABLE plates were not made at all. The manufacturer has failed to explain why this happened.
- The manufacturer was immediately notified and VARIABLE plates using the final files were rush ordered.
- Due to this, QC and test assembly was only performed using the (draft file) enclosure, FIXED plate, and hotswap PCB. As a result, the incompatibility between the draft file enclosures and final file VARIABLE plates was not observed at this time.
- RAMA WORKS begins shipping Jules.
- Once RAMA WORKS was made aware of the incompatibility, shipping was halted until the situation was fully understood.
The differences between the draft Jules files and Jules final files are primarily cosmetic:
- One plate mount position (left of the spacebar switch) was moved.
- Enclosure screw positions were moved away from the top/bottom enclosure seam.
- Minor changes to the case bottom “wedge” to accommodate the change to case screw positions.
- The entire final enclosure is approximately ~2mm larger in both width and depth.
The images above show the draft version on the left and final version on the right.
RAMA WORKS has worked with this particular manufacturer for a long time and there was full confidence in their ability to produce products to the level of quality that RAMA WORKS and our customers expect.
The units produced are of the quality that we expect but are not made using the final design Zambumon submitted for prototyping and production.
The use of incorrect files is a serious oversight on the manufacturer’s part. However, RAMA WORKS also accepts responsibility for this situation. We are very disappointed and sincerely apologise.
Given the amount of time customers have already been waiting for Jules and the fact that we have all of the (draft) Jules enclosures on hand, the most viable option is to remake the VARIABLE plates from the draft files. This is expected to take 2 weeks.
If you would no longer like to receive Jules, you can instead opt for store credit. Please contact our support team by emailing [firstname.lastname@example.org] or submitting a ticket at [https://support.rama.care/] with your order number.
In 2-3 weeks, Jules will resume shipping to customers.
We’re extremely appreciative of everyone’s continued support. This situation has led us to make drastic changes to our processes and ensure this cannot happen again in the future.