Funky Frankenswitches

i have found that bobagum housings create a higher pitched sound. put aeboard raeds stems, t1s, coffee chip stems in and all sounded high pitched, but no added clack.

1 Like

I like gateron brown stem tactility in boba housing but, as with any aggressive leaf switch, requires some testing with the spring to ensure the switch returns

1 Like

I have a lot of new switches to try out. Ill have details on them in a little bit.

3 Likes

Hey lookin to make some mx zilents, anyone know where I can get cherry silents in the US?

https://novelkeys.com/collections/switches/products/cherry-switches-1?variant=40599113236647 Hopefully restocking soon

1 Like

These guys ship from Tennessee and have 3 and 5 pin reds. Priced high for small quantities but are about 50 cents each if you get 100 or so.

1 Like

Godsend, thank you so much. Know of any coupons?

I second the U4T stems in Cherry/Gat Brown housings. The tactility is much more manageable.

1 Like

Ok so, here comes the specs and reviews, this might be a long one.
All switches lubed with 205g0 since I had no tribosys on hand.

Clear topped t1 (far left)
Dark amber t1 bottom
Clear gat top
t1 stem
t1 spring.

This switch is probably one of my least favourite out of the lot. It’s a high-ish tactile when lubed, sharp bump and feels a little unrefined even after lubing the legs. It’s smooth, but like average smooth, not everglide aqua king smooth. the sound signature is my biggest gripe with it, while it is deep it sounds thin and muted, and the spring has a little crunch to it. 6/10
edit: after using it for a bit it seems a bit better now, the bump less unrefined, and the sound better. 8/10 now

Amber bottomed brown. (2nd from left)
dark amber t1 bottom
clear gat top
coffee chip ice cream stem
gat red spring.

This is one my favourite switches out of the lot. It has a classic “thocky”, kind of marble like sound signature. It is a high tactility switch after being lubed, and the bump is rounded and feels smooth in a way. Pretty smooth, even as linears go. 9/10.

Amber bottomed clear (linear tho.)(3rd from left)
dark amber t1 bottom
gat clear top
aeboard raed stem
aeboard raed spring.

This is a very nice linear. It is pretty smooth, but not gliding like some switches do. The sound is essentially a less clacky aeboard raed, the type of sound you’d hear from those “yes, but does your keyboard thock like this” its a clean sound though. 9/10

Gat bottomed coffee chip. (4th from left)
Gat white bottom
Coffee chip top
coffee chip stem
coffee chip spring
coffee chip spring

This is a pretty nice tactile frankenswitch. Sounds like a lot of thocky frankenswitches, reminds me of a boba u4t, not as thocky as some of the other switches on this list, although a bit unoriginal. the tactility is medium when lubed, and quite rounded. not as smooth as some on this list, but still smooth. a solid 7.5/10

strawberry coffee (5th from left).
bobagum bottom
coffee chip top
t1 stem
t1 spring.

I don’t like this switch at all. The tactility is medium-ish, and more rounded than the clear topped t1, but less rounded than any of the switches with coffee chip stems. The sound is very muted, allowing the spring noise to come through and ruin it. Not that smooth either. Shame it has one of the few good names. 5/10

Strawberry raed. (5th from right)
bobagum bottom
aeboard raed top
aeboard raed stem
bobagum spring

This is an ok switch. It’s what i’d expect from a $0.20/switch switch, not the $1.5 dollar switch this adds up to. Spring noise is a bit much, kind of deep sound signature, although the top out is very thin. It is pretty smooth though. Honestly at this price just get yourself some BCPs. 5/10 cos of the price.

Now at this point i forgot to review the switch next in line in picture (red housing with brown stem) and did a different switch instead. glad i did tho because this is a pretty nice switch.

Milky coffee.
coffee chip bottom
coffee chip top
aeboard raed stem
coffee chip spring.

I like this switch. Unlike the other switches on this list, the top out is much more audible and pretty nice sounding. I’d say it is on the higher pitched, clackier side in terms of sound signature, a bit deeper than c3 tangies. Very smooth, almost just gliding up and down. 8.5/10

White bottomed raed.
Gat white bottom
aeboard raed top
aeboard raed stem
gat red spring

Another thocky linear switch. not marbly, just a solid, deep sound that i quite like. Not as smooth as the other linears mentioned, i’d put it at gat milky yellow levels of smoothness. I personally prefer different sound signatures, but i know some people will like this switch. 8/10

Strawberry cheesecake
gat white bottom
bobagum top
gat red stem
bobagum spring

One of the higher pitched switches on this list (not saying much since it is still kinda deep sounding), with a small touch of clack. Spring needs improvement, it makes a bit more sound than i would like it to. About as smooth as a gat yellow. 7/10

Now we have the weird one. It’s just a kailh box jade without the clickbar. as an alpha, even when lubed it sounds a touch unrefined, but it goes best with two stabilisers either side of it, giving a sharp return and a satifying top out sound. Pretty thocky (solid deep) sound as well. 8.5/10

Now that is it for my list. My personal favourite is the amber bottomed brown, favourite tactile switch to date. With most of the linears excluding the amber bottomed clear and the linear box jade i would say you should just go get some aeboard raeds, over lube them a bit, add a touch of foam to your case and you get a beautiful deep, marbly, a little clacky sound. only downside is that it is a 3 pin switch.

1 Like

I have some personal first impressions on the Akko Ocean Blues and Lavender Purples (and how they relate) that frankenswitch fans may find interesting.

Hmm, might try the stems in t1 housings and bobagum housings. What do you think it would be like?

Was looking for a switch to put in my Masterkeys Pro S that has RGB browns at the moment. I like browns but these are upside down so I can’t enjoy them with GMK caps.

Picked up some Tecsee Iced Candy switches since they have a long pole stem which will allow me to use GMK and ePBT caps without interference. They’re iffy. Some inconsistencies in stem friction like aqua kings. Also a lot of slip stick

But… if you put a Naevy stem in them. Oooh. It’s very nice. Long bump but not too harsh (think a more delicate T1). And it sounds great. Good and thocky.

Will be making some of these all day tomorrow

1 Like

Saw the post on reddit that akko stems and boba housing have almost no wobble. I currently have polia stems in boba housings and it is my favorite so far. So im thinking of buying those akko switches, ant tips or recommendations?

When I tried it the Akko stem (I also tried the a Matcha one) wasn’t that great, that amount of wobble (or lack of) is unnecessary IMO, high quality switches should already have great tolerances.

Akko switches by themselves already have good tolerances, an decent smoothness (around Gat Yellows).
If you’re after higher end linears [with good tolerances] I’d consider Durock POMs (quite expensive but very good) or Boba LTs (no experience with them, but with my experience with the rest of the line this are guaranteed to be quality).

1 Like

While I do think the Akko stems are good in Boba housings, I’m not sure they’d be worth getting to replace Polia stems. They’re both good but between the two I prefer Polias for Bobas.

I also second that Durock POMs (or Cobalts) are excellent, stable-feeling linears. I can also confirm that Boba LTs are excellent.

1 Like

They won’t be replacing the polia stems. I would put them in another board. I actually prefer boba instead polia (whole switch). Polia has way too much wobble on its own.

Ill just buy the akko switches to try out,maybe give them away if i don’t like them.

As complete switches, I quite like the Lavender Purple ones.

Wish there was a way to deal with the leaf ping without lowering the tactility, Lavender Purple is my favorite.

U can try lubing the middle part of the leaf where the little rectangle hits the main leaf, this wont touch the legs so you shouldn’t have to worry about “reducing tactility”. I find this method reduces leaf ping for me

1 Like

I thought about it, but wouldn’t it cause issues registering or even cause chattering?
How do you lube it? actually touch the contacts with a brush or around that part avoiding the actual contacts?