[IC] the Heavy Grail: a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

I agree with this. I prefer the Pro 2 due to the thinner walls of the slider features on the Pro 3, making it sound not quite as nice. However, my plate returns to the Pro 2 wall thickness while retaining Pro 3 compatibility, so it should actually more or less fix the issue.

I have personally never compared the Type S variants to the normal ones, so I can’t speak to those nuances.

3 Likes

Hey there just wanted to let you know that you CAN reprogram your board. I have tested on 2 boards and have gotten a lot of feedback from others who’ve had success programming their boards

If you google “hhkb remapping the classic” you will find my post

3 Likes

I come to this thread every morning for an update :slight_smile: While Ryan is busy preparing for the GB, can the experienced Topre folks tell me where I can find some more keycaps? I just put on the extended 2048 keycaps on my white HHKB Pro and they look and feel amazing.

4 Likes

Basically you found it. Keep up with KBDfans. They have most of the good stuff. Aside from that, I check yahoo auctions in Japan every once in a while for hipro or regular topre boards with Japanese legends in interesting colors and profiles. You can also check on deskthority for folks selling interesting torpe caps. Be prepared to shell out :money_with_wings:

You also have the Dominkey HHKB sets. KPRepublic sells them on their website and Aliexpress store.

3 Likes

Is it just the lighting in this picture or is that top one darker than the previous aperture grey?

1 Like

It’s the same finish as previous runs. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

any updates on an ETA?

1 Like

I’m still trying to get a hold of the engineers for an update and have been for a few days. This is pretty typical of them unfortunately. I’ll keep pushing.

8 Likes

Hi @norbauer, I like the cases that you have designed! Just wondering will there be a day you will be designing boards that comes with PCB for MX switches? :slight_smile:

The Heavy-9 works with the FC980M (MX switch) board. You can still pick one up on his website, too :slight_smile:

The norbaforce also fit some MX boards

I don’t own an HHKB, but this project makes me want one

2 Likes

Anyone else getting more and more excited as we get closer and closer to an eventual GB? :smiley: There has been a smattering of recent comments here, but I wanted to seed the discussion with a few talking points.

Are there any finishes you’re particularly excited about? K2 seems like it will be offered as it is represented in the initial post, and also present in a picture showing it alongside Aperture and VHS. Seems Veracity Steel is in, as well as Sunset Blvd! I love the way my Matte Retro Norbaforce feels, and I’m excited about another offering that has that same “touch”.

For those either without an HHKB yet, or who have both a Pro2 and Pro3 - which one are you thinking of getting the case for? As @norbauer mentions, the stock Pro3 sounds higher pitched due to having thinner slider housings - however since the Heavy Grail plate has the thickness of Pro2 housings, it might “fix” a Pro3 to make it sound deeper. Does this mean a Pro3 (with its full programmability, and PBT spacebar) slammed into a Heavy Grail is indeed the best of both worlds?!

Any keycap considerations? Stock caps are high quality dyesub PBT of course. There is also the allure of a HiPro HHKB—as showcased in the Sunset Blvd picture above (which I believe has a mix of HEKB01 and 104UG-HiPro caps).

So many permutations/combinations! I’m enjoying thinking through the options, myself :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m probably going to throw my Pro2 inside my Heavy grail since that’s been more recently lubed, had silencing rings installed (Deskeys #3) , and Hipro keycaps :slight_smile: .

I have a HHKB Hybrid Type S which I already think is a pretty great board as it is. Honestly I think there are definite improvements in the new generation of HHKBs compared to the older generation. The improvement for my Type S wouldn’t be as big as my Pro2. Also the Pro2 would be way more hype for the Heavy Grail considering it has HiPro Keycaps

My HHKB Pro 2
https://imgur.com/C9eWRNC

12 Likes

I feel the same, excited and shaking :wink:

I’m currently preparing myself (financially) for the Veracity Steel version. I know already it will stay with me for my entire life. I’ll probably use two stock keycap sets – mixed together, white ones with legends + white blanks, however – will test the black version as well :stuck_out_tongue: This construction will be based on the Hybrid Type-S, that I love already.

The nice thing about the Heavy Grail is that you know you’re supporting a fantastic guy (someone with a real passion), and this – accelerates emotions even more.
At least for me :slight_smile:

I honestly can’t wait!

5 Likes

What improvements have you found between pro 2’s and the newer generation of hhkb’s? I only recently got a pro 2, and honestly can’t foresee going back to mx switches. Topre is amazing, and I’m extremely excited for this group buy.

For those who participated in previous norbauer projects, are there any notes or opinions on the finishes? Any favorites? Right now, I’d say I’m partial to the black since the photos of it make the finish look amazing, a really pristine matte (maybe a hint of satin?). But I could be convinced to try something less conservative. The white, veracity steel, and sunset blvd look nice.

Finally, it seems like it’s not in the cards for the foreseeable future, but polycarb would be amazing. I’d love to hear how an hhkb with a pc case sounds! Probably would even be a top choice. Even though I’m all in for the “heavy” grail, personally I don’t mind somewhat lighter cases- easier to move around the desk!

2 Likes

I picked up a pro 2 for this. The ability to fully reprogram the layout offered by the 3rd party controllers was the deciding factor for that.

As for finish, I am currently leaning towards the aperture grey as it looks really good with the stock black caps that I have. It’s very hard to feel completely decided though as all of the finishes seen on this and also previous Norbauer projects are all so good. I have been really feeling the K2 recently.

Question for those who’ve tried them: Do the the kbd fans topre/mx sliders alter the feel significantly? I’m not looking for a stock feel, already put bke lights and deskeys #3 rings on, I’m just wondering if they add overall negative flavor to the board. I’ve pretty much given up trying to hunt down novatouch sliders.

I had the KBDfans sliders before chancing upon Novatouch sliders on r/MM. They were significantly inferior to stock in my opinion. I might be a drama llama, but I could not stop fussing with the keys with how wobbly they were-- the number row especially was horrid. The stems are very slightly turned as well, making them less than ideal.

5 Likes

Ah that’s very good to know. One of the things that I have found really amazing about the way the hhkb feels is how sturdy, for lack of a better word, the key press is.

1 Like