Post Your Keyboards!

Double posting because I’m so happy with this build. Finished my Jaguar V2 today because GMK Mictlán came in the mail. I absolutely love this set and appreciate vheissudotme for making a set that represents a part of Mexican culture.

With the Jaguar, it is the best looking build I own.

11 Likes

Finally got around to taking some photos of my Spectacle60

11 Likes

BugerWorks BBox60
-Plateless build with all but the 2 outer most standoffs on either side removed and some o-rings put on them
-DZ60 Rev2 hotswap PCB
-Dragonride Peach Toot switches with factory lube
-Melgeek Amber Stabs with 205g0 and dialectic grease
-3USD taobao Keycaps in a very interesting profile

9 Likes

What a lovely green!! Wonderful pairing :pinched_fingers:

Thank you. I’m a big fan of the green too. I think it looks great.

that profile is really unique! lovely shots

1 Like

Still a work in progress, but my DIY “retro-ish” 83-key TKL is fully functional.

• Custom layout, main cluster similar to HHKB which is of course evocative of the original Mac keyboard, very much a board of its time. Gapless and centered F-row inspired by the BBC Micro, compressed nav cluster vaguely tinted by Amiga and MSX, but I’m stretching, LOL.
  • Layout done on KLE, plate from Swill’s generator, aluminum plates from Xometry.
  • Handwired to an RP2040-Zero.
  • Kailh Box Navy and Durock stabs, as yet unlubed.
  • Blank red DSA for the Fkeys, “Business DSA” keycaps from Aliexpress but their dimensions are just the tiniest bit off.
  • Delightfully loud and almost rumbly on bottoming out (YMMV on “delightfully”, LOL). Noisy stabs though.
  • Currently just have some standoffs between the plates, but have the white oak cut sandwich bits cut and smoothed.
  • Between the rubber feet and no standoffs in the middle of the board, there is a touch of flex with heavy typing, but I am not yet convinced that’s a bad thing.
  • My only concern with the layout is the left CTRL and accompanying 1.25u Shift. It’s obviously turned around from the ISO layout, and my pinky seems to drift to the outside there. If I don’t get used to it, I may hunt for a 1u shift in the keycaps and either flip them or maybe rework the modifiers more generally and have a split shift.

7 Likes

Your project got me thinking!

My current board is a compact 65%

43A203DC-73D8-4CEC-A54D-24BB0B596E32_1_105_c

I have been vaguely thinking about a follow-up to add a bit of space around the arrows and macro keys. (The difference in sculpt isn’t quite enough to help my fingers to find their places easily … and the gap would make it much easier to place and route the MCU etc.) I had in mind something like,

But after some experimenting I realised the ergonomics of using the arrows with modifiers isn’t great because fingers have a longer reach than thumbs. So I thought I would try something more like your retro-inspired layout, using the function keys for symmetry.

(Dunno yet if I will actually get some JTK HSA hyperfuse keycaps!)

This board would be about 400 x 100 mm, even more widescreen than cinerama.

I don’t normally have much use for function keys. At the moment I have macros on fn + A-L for switching desktops, which I could move to the left-hand F cluster. My current F1-F4 column has macros for placing windows which I would put on the upper nav cluster, which seems like a good place for some novelty caps.

I’m also not sure about the 6u space bar, they are irritatingly rare. Might go back to a more common layout with 1.25u modifiers. Or just reduce one of the modifiers by 0.25u, tho I don’t like the idea of having a place on the main block without row stagger. (picky!)

6 Likes

Hey! I know that board! I definitely ran across your Keybird and its predecessor while researching my project. The material choice and workmanship are both very nice and very clever. As I’ve looked more and more, I’ve realized it’s only the very specific combination that’s unique about my board, but nothing else was exactly what I wanted to try, and it’s been very satisfying to build something that has daily-driver potential.

I should have considered polishing or otherwise finishing my switchplate before starting, but the workbench wants what it wants, and it wanted to start soldering switches, and a sandwich leaves lots of options available for later. Then, if I get motivated enough, I have enough plates to make two more boards, because three was less than 50% more expensive than doing one. I did already adjust the layout a little, partly to better match my bad typing habits, and partly to lean into the BBC Micro look. I grew up on the Apple II, C64, and Atari machines, but Acorn had a real winner with that design. I also feel that if a keyboard can say something about its maker/user, then my devoting 3.5 units to keys that correct my mistakes is very appropriate.

Your follow-up idea looks very elegant. The symmetry would really show off a nice set of keycaps. There was a poster on my GH thread who also mentioned they like to nudge the arrow keys up higher. The southpaw numpad crowd would approve of adding extra keys that lived left of the alphas. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Have a look at https://68keys.io
This site provides a QMK-programmable PCB design that can be manufactured to order (minimum 5) in China.

It is my favourite layout, introduced by the mythical Magicforce68 keyboard, but now also available from a handful of custom keyboard designers e.g. Stellar65 or the Wuque Studio Ikki68.

You can also gut a Magicforce68 bought on the cheap from Amazon and replace the PCB (and switches and keycaps) to get more programming options. That is, if you like desoldering and soldering :smiley:
In return, you get a case with a wonderfully low typing angle.

The F1 to F12 function keys are easily accessible by hitting Fn + one of the digits or - or =.

9 Likes

9 Likes

Give in to your hate, symmetry lovers!! Yes, I can go split-backspace, but am refusing to out of pure spite!

Split spacebar on 60% is kinda fun though…

Specs:

• Arc60 HHKB layout in Violet
  • Wuque Studios Orchid Strings double-shot PBT keycaps
  • Zepsody x Aflion Wisteria V2 switches
  • Cherry stabilizers with Cannonkeys wires
  • Hotswap PCB with Aluminum plate
  • No foam
  • Archetype Smooth Kolk artisan
10 Likes

Got the Aaru in today, threw together a quick build with some TX Rev.3 stabs, Aqua Kings, on the POM plate. Pretty solid feeling & sounding in this config, think I might need to force break this case though. Overall I am pretty happy with the board, the lack of layout options is the only major complaint I would have of it. At least the solder PCB will allow for tsangan bottom row & split R shift.

Edit: Oh Yeah force break helped the acoustics out a lot on this board!

9 Likes

I hope you don’t type the wrong thing and get the mummy’s curse

5 Likes

I call it Mecha King Kong—KEMOVE 1980 K98

5 Likes

Good looking board. The budget board space is really upping the game this year.

1 Like

Thanks, this is Kemove‘s board

Got the oak “twigs” and 3D printed access covers installed onto my hand-wired BBC Micro inspired custom tkl-ish layout, as well as adjusting the layout slightly to better fit my (lack of) typing skills. I have plates to make up to two more. Going to live with this one for a while and see what changes (beyond additional fit & finish steps) I’d make on a follow-up. I suppose I could slice off part of a plate as well and have a HHKB-inflected 60%, but I do like my arrows. The aluminum should also be soft enough to split that backspace or recombine the left shift.

8 Likes

What can you tell us about the keycaps? Beige legends on… burgundy? Brown?

That’s PBTfans Pyga; warm cream legends with translucent dark red caps double-shot around them. The colorway is inspired by pyrope garnet.

3 Likes