Post Your Typing Sounds!

Recorded in a noisy work environment for maximum immersive realism. :stuck_out_tongue:

BBOX 60 enclosure by BUGER.WORK; C64 edition

• GK61x PCB

• Aluminum plate; facilitates using GK PCB with standard GH standoff pattern

• No-name plate-mount stabs, lubed w/ dielectric grease

• TTC Frozen Silent linear switches

• MCR Horseman (kit B) double-shot ABS keycaps

Previously, I had SA Chocolatier on this keeb - and it looked amazing. It sounded… rough:

What a difference! The heavy tactiles with bad stabs and chunky keys were just too overwhelming a cacophony for this enclosure and aluminum plate. It looks great, but makes a dreadful din.

The Frozen Silents are some of the most quiet switches I own, but I think they actually sound fantastic when amplified by the BBOX. I really like this new config a lot more than I expected to. It even looks better than I thought it would:

Hard to really capture the colors with a phone camera; they’re a bit exaggerated here.

Gotta say, this is more satisfaction than I ever expected to get from my humble GK61x. :slight_smile:

4 Likes
6 Likes

Portico68 Black Label

• Foam gasket mount, alu chassis
  • Custom POM plate from Hypekeyboards.ca
  • Fekker Matcha linear switches, stock
  • TX stabs, lightly tuned & balanced with washers
  • DCX caps (double-shot ABS, Cherry-like profile)
2 Likes

Do you find the TX stabs stem to hit the housing at certain angles?

My nylon TX Stabs have zero ticks in the stem but the housing causes a slight ticking when I press the spacebar at ceratin angles while typing.

Also, those matcha switches sound great stock.

Are you sure it’s the stabilizer? The noise you described is something that I’ve found often comes from the switch in the space bar when pressed at hard angles.

How does one make a half-decent recording? I tried to record the new switches in the Cozy75 as I was reasonably pleased with the muted/mellow sound, but neither voice memo nor video recording on my iPhone sounded even vaguely like what I was hearing irl…

I do have a Yeti microphone at home but that seemed like overkill for a quick recording?

I’m 99% sure it’s the stab because the switch is an EV-01 switch with a very good stem wobble and it’s filmed and lubed, but I’ll check this later to make sure, IIRC you tested it by putting a switch without a top housing right?

If that’s happen to be the, what’s the solution?

Lube is the only solution I’ve found. Im not positive, but it seems the ticking is often caused by the stem rattling against the walls of the switch. My black lotus switches did that on some 1u switches until I lubed them. They’ve remained quiet since, except for the space bar. That switch still does it if I wobble the space bar up and down at sharp angles.

2 Likes

A quick recording doesn’t have to be low quality just because it’s quick :slight_smile: Put that Yeti mic to work!

2 Likes

Ha! Noted… :wink: will have to wait until I’m back home then :beach_umbrella::surfing_man:t3:

1 Like

Made a little comparison of the Boba LT and the new Trash Switches

4 Likes

Any other thoughts on the trash switches? I can’t remember much about them. Are they full travel? How is the wobble?

The stem stays out about 0.5mm when fully pressed. There is some wobble up/down, less to the sides due to the box stem. I do really like the feel of them even stock, but they are a little bit on the scratchy side. The only time I noticed that was right beneath my ear, so that’s ok imho. A bit of a downside, they go really hard in some plates, especially with Alu/FR4

2 Likes

Portico68 Black Label

• Akko POM Browns
  • Custom POM plate by HypeKeyboards.ca
  • Foam gasket mounted w/ dampening foam inside
  • Equalz V3 stabs (Enter key still needs some love; it’s a tester setup)
  • Double-shot ABS keys in DCX profile
  • Foam under the space bar

Full review in the next few days, but I can tell you now that these just might be my favorite Brown - or light tactile overall, for that matter.

5 Likes

KBD67 Lite

• TTC Flaming Purples
  • Yellow stock-type polycarb plate with standoff screws omitted
  • TX AP stabs - with too little too thin grease, apparently; I do stab keys and others separate after the normal typing so you can parse the switch sound from my garbo stab tuning :upside_down_face:
  • Double-shot ABS keys in DCX profile (similar but not identical to Cherry)

First impressions of the switches here

3 Likes

KBD67 Lite

• Gateron Melodic leaf-clickies
  • FR4 plate from BredWorks, no standoffs
  • Same TX AP stabs as above post; wongle sound less obvious with these switches and caps
  • NovelKeys’ PBT Cherry profile
First impressions of the Melodics

My first impression of these is that they remind me both of Zeal Clickiez and NK_ Thick Clicks, but aren’t exactly like either. Closer to the Clickiez for obvious reasons, though maybe even more close than I expected given how much smaller the leaf is. Of course these are way less over-the-top, but for me personally they’re still a little much in terms of peak tactility - at least for typing. So satisfying, though. If you don’t have delicate nerve-damaged fingers like mine, these might be perfectly viable for long, delicious typing sessions.

I love the clean sound and feel these switches have, and I also appreciate the fairly unique tactile experience these have even if it’s not my favorite. Like click-bar switches, these don’t have audible rattle, and that goes a long way for me in enjoying a clicky switch.

I really want to encourage Gateron to keep playing with these leaves, as there are things about this switch I really do prefer over some of my other favorite clickies in the BOX line. Namely: none of the characteristic BOX twist, no wondering if it’s really okay to put your nice caps on them, and darn if they aren’t otherwise really smooth. Like BOX clickies, these can be linearized by removing the click spring - in this case a small leaf, in BOXes a torsion spring - but these make much better linears than those BOXes do, IMO. I think that’s a nice cherry on top helping their performance as clickies. :man_shrugging:

TL;DR: if you’re an enjoyer of clickies on the heavy side or are generally curious about novel switch designs in the MX space, I think these are worth considering. If you’re accustomed to clickies in the “Blue” universe or prefer BOX Whites, for example, these might be a little tiresome for your fingers. On the other hand, if you’re accustomed to Navies or even Clickiez, you’ll breeze right through these and likely appreciate their crunchy-yet-crisp feedback.

4 Likes

lubed Boba U4Ts

stock Oil Kings

stock Boba LTs

stock Akko v3 Cream Black Pros

stock Akko v3 Lavender Purple Pros

A bunch of poor quality cellphone recordings but I just wanted to join the party :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

What do you guys recommend for a budget mic?

I dont think you really need a dedicated mic unless that is something you are interested in diving into. Capturing general background noise with a cellphone mic instead of isolating the keyboard can capture a more “realistic” sound test, which is perfectly fine in my opinion. Obviously big difference if someone was using a mic where all you hear is the AC unit, then probably would be good to use something else lol.