I mean, they’re U4Ts with long springs and quite decent factory tuning. Putting a regular stock U4T up to your ear, you’ll hear the spring ring clearly - much less so with these thanks to the donut dip lubing.
After using the LTs for a few days, these are definitely something else.
Where I felt myself encouraged to type lightly with the LTs, and barely making a gentle rain’s worth of noise with them; well - these are another story. Gentle typing is barely possible, and any honest attempt at using the keeb produces a hailstorm-like deluge. It also reminds me a bit of the sound made by a number of horses running down a street of cobblestone.
Between the two very good switches, I think I prefer the linears so far even though I’m usually a tactile guy. Maybe it’s the switches alone, maybe it’s them plus this keeb - it’s a little extreme for my current mood. They’re pretty much as-advertised, though - so that earns them a thumbs-up from me.
If you want a massively-tactile short-throw switch that’s ready to roll from the bag, you could do a whole lot worse than these. I also just realized what the color scheme is about…
I’d personally be willing to trade some of the crispness for a little more vibration dampening when it comes to tuning style, but I think I can see why the designer considers this the “canon” configuration, and I’m not really inclined to suggest anyone pop these open.
I will soon build my next board with U4Ts (lubed of course), and see by myself what kind of super tactility those switches are compared to Zelios v2.
This board will not be for me but for a friend that explicitly asked for something with lots of tactility.
Tried my hands at a frankenswitch for the very first time. Probably a common one considering I used Halo True stems, but I am so happy with the outcome. (is this some type of holy panda? lol)
They’re extremely tactile given the stem + the symmetrical springs that give it a snappy return which I really enjoy. The tactile bump is kinda soft and rounded but still has some stiffness to it while the sound is deep and somewhat muted, which I really love. I’ve had EG Dark Jades, Boba U4Ts, Browns, etc. These ones take the cake forsure.
I got some of these in the mail today. I agree, they are smooth. But I was a bit surprised how loud they are. The upstroke is super clacky, even more than a JWK switch. I lubed one generously with 205g0 and it still sounds too high pictched for me.
A big selling point on Bobas for me is the low wobble. But these seem to have a lot more wobble than I expected. The do look nice.
Agreed - the *nixdork top is touted to be tighter, but it definitely isn’t. Yours is the third confirmation I’ve seen of that.
They are indeed on the high pitched side. It probably depends on how heavily you type but for me the upstroke is louder than the down with these switches.
I stumbled across a pretty nifty typing site. It’s a trainer of sorts, but instead of random words or quotes it uses educational fun-facts. I know so much more trivia now.
oh yeh Outemu Blues on a thin sheet-metal and plastic keeb, with keys that look like a typewriter and a makeup display got together.
I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I’m gonna try to make this thing sound good. A review of this keeb in its stock form and a follow-up mod video are on the way.
Sound test with the new 4.75mm brass plate, lubed Boba U4T switches, and KAT Space Cadet caps. I did use a layer of tape between the plate and pcb and case foam.
Previously, I had SA Chocolatier on this keeb - and it looked amazing. It sounded… rough:
What a difference! The heavy tactiles with bad stabs and chunky keys were just too overwhelming a cacophony for this enclosure and aluminum plate. It looks great, but makes a dreadful din.
The Frozen Silents are some of the most quiet switches I own, but I think they actually sound fantastic when amplified by the BBOX. I really like this new config a lot more than I expected to. It even looks better than I thought it would: