What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Vintage doubleshot and, to my knowledge, even unused cyrillic keycaps. They are fairly thin and remind me of tai-hao or DCS in terms of thickness. Sublegends are pad printed, sadly. that makes me too nervous to put them on a build because i don’t want to wear them off.

11 Likes

Gray Space Cadet set Rev3 from 21kb. Other than left-shift and return keys being a bit warped, gray is I think the classiest sub-legend color for PBT Space Cadet.

10 Likes

Had to get a different kit of RAM since my old RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz) absolutely would not play nice with my 5800X. Any attempt to get it to run above 2133MHz would lead to boot loops. I had heard Ryzen is finicky with RAM so the fact that my Ripjaw sticks were 2 different 2x8GB sets with the same specs must the issue. Although the only 2 differences between those sets of Ripjaws was the color of the heat spreaders (one kit was black & one kit was red) & a single tertiary timing was off by 1 value (one kit had that timing set at 10 & the other had it set at 9). It ran fine together even OCed beyond 3200Mhz on my old Intel setup so Ryzen must really be that senstive to the RAM used with it.

I also got my set of GMK Dandy in too! @Sour hit another homerun with this set! Will post pics of it on a board soon.

9 Likes

Replacement battery for the replacement battery for my iPod classic, installed the iFlash two days ago. Now finally reassembled.

7 Likes

iPod classic

someone’s been in 'ere

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Huano Jelly Strawberry v1 Tactile
Came straight from hell.

Summary

More hull and stem pics

Summary

Lungs. Sand. Friction. ringing)

Domikey Single Chip

Bought for Alice.

Good quality. Strong body. minimal spring chime. No grease but smooth. Friction is and is the sound of friction, but the movement is smooth, so to speak.
I like the sound of silver. Unusual.
By color, these switches are like noctua))))) :smirk:
Lots of hidden photos below. watch out, traffic.

Summary

6 Likes

I thought gmk spacebar warp was bad… looks like someone took a hairdryer to it.

The hell was I watching there :grin:

Ha, that’s Dankpods - he’s an Aussie professional drummer that has a side gig fixing iPods, both of which he has YouTube channels for. He also does some cheeky “reviews” of trash-tier MP3 players, which he affectionately calls “nuggets”.

“Someone’s been in here” is pretty much his catch-phrase.

The snake is his his pet, and her name is Frank.

4 Likes

Got a prototype Sr2 in today. Super happy about it! Decided to put some red caps on it, the contrast is interesting

12 Likes

Man, that color! Reminds me of an old hospital or the ceiling trim at Perkins.

Let’s go with “mint”.

2 Likes

Syringe filled w/XHT-BDZ, bunch of stab wires (bc XHT-BDZ requires new stab wires), and 53g 22mm single-stage springs from PovertyKeys.com.

I liked the springs right away. It uses thinner wire than the ones made by mStone and feels better without crunching. It feels closer to spring I liked in FLCMMK Ice Mint except slightly heavier which I liked. I’m going try them in-use and order more if initial impression pans out.

Here is a photo of the springs I mentioned above.

• spring on top is 50g 22mm spring made by mStone and sold by KPRepublic . Its wire is thicker and coils at ends are thicker. It crunches on some switches.
  • spring below is 53g 22mm spring made by a Korean company and sold by PovertyKeys. Its wire is thinner and coils at ends are also thinner.

When I tested them, spring from PovertyKeys felt noticeably better: snappier, cleaner feel without spring crunch.

Link to PovertyKeys’ spring product page:

6 Likes

Some extra Silks and a pack of stands.

Also, DCS Paperwork!

Oh, Signature Plastics. Your keys are very good but your packaging might be the actual worst.

I was worried when I first saw the box; “no way did all the kits fit in there,” I thought. Then I remembered who makes DCS, and it made sense again.

It is kind of funny to me that after all these years, a plastics manufacturer known for its high quality products doesn’t even try with packaging, to the point of damage being somewhat common. They could literally make it themselves. :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember talking with one of their customer service people (who I’ve always found to be genuinely helpful), and she said it was something they were definitely thinking about. That was… five years ago. Well - until they finish thinking about it I’m glad there are some nice aftermarket trays out there these days

9 Likes

They pass the savings of not sorting and buying extra
extra packaging onto you… oh wait they are still hella expensive :rofl:

I actually don’t mind considering how much packaging ends up in landfills. But I get why people would expect it for the price.

2 Likes

ooh, beauties! What’s 3dkeebs gonna do with extras I wonder? I know he’s trying to wrap things up.

2 Likes

I’ve never fully understood aftermarket keycap trays until now. Even the $25 XDA set of caps I bought on Amazon early in my keyboard journey came in a plastic tray with a cardboard box fitted around it. Not like a pile of keycaps in a bag in a box…

2 Likes

Received NK Silk Olivia switches.

Initial impressions: Decent and Unremarkable. Move on.

4 Likes

If I learned correct today, “become one with cup rubber” implies owning a Realforce87U. Is that right?

2 Likes

Looking at you GMK…

KB2040s arrived today and I’m finally in the process of understanding all the Matrix stuff…

8 Likes

I guess I’m still in the minority of those who would rather the keycaps just come in bags :man_shrugging:

Less shit to recycle. Cheaper shipping.

6 Likes