What's on your workbench today?

You can’t it’s an APU case. I have a 4600G in there.
Though he made them stackable, so you could do that and run a GPU in the second one.

https://imgur.com/a/kLiAdzc

6 Likes

Okay, I see now. That’s really cool.

I guess whenever PC components become something I can easily buy again I’m going to definitely be looking at NFC.

2 Likes

Got some diodes soldered last night.

6 Likes

Some slow-and-steady progress on the FC980. By the way, I have a 2-part question about cleaning the PCB later:

1. Is 70% IPA the standard IPA to use on PCBs?

2. Is there a proper technique for cleaning a PCB with IPA? I think I read once that you pour it on the PCB and let it run off the board, but not sure if that’s right.

8 Likes

I am not a clever man, but I usually just soak a low-lint towel with IPA and rub it down. I also will use a soft bristle brush to get the stubborn flux off, then wipe it down after.

2 Likes

I stopped cleaning my boards. I use no-clean solder, and from my research, it really means you don’t have to clean it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see, I can try this as well. Experiment :slight_smile:

Ah same, I use no-clean. But I’m only cleaning the Leopold PCB since it has random marks and stuff from the manu, and since I’ll have it all opened up soon, so I thought why not, you know?

Gotcha. Yeah, you’re not going to hurt it with IPA. It’s a mess to clean that stuff off.

1 Like

Ok, sweet. Thanks both :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Painted the plate on my Realforce 86u yesterday

https://imgur.com/IjWS8Le

It was starting to rust so I decided to treat it and just paint it

9 Likes

At long last, my KBD8X and KBDPAD MKII are on the bench. Just picked them up from the cerakoter today. The color combo was risky, but it was definitely worth it.

17 Likes

U got some Tealios and Phosphorous to go with that? :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Aaaand first build is complete :tada:

Now I just need to learn how to use this thing :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Experimenting with some low profile options. Switches and keycaps. Stay tuned.

Happy Weekend everybody.

4 Likes

I had never considered Phosphorous until you mentioned it, but I suspect it would be a great fit.

No, for now I’m going to go with Boba U4’s, and possibly the MelGeek Plastic caps. I suspect finding the caps I like the most may just lead me to the trusty BOW MT3 profile, but we’ll see.

1 Like

Those look great @Extra_Fox! Would you mind sharing a ballpark price?

I am considering getting some cerakoting done, likely one color but I was just curious.

1 Like

Not at all. There’s kind of a range the place I went to will charge it depends on;

1. Size of board.
  2. Number of pieces.
  3. Number of colors.

So my board, with four parts, and two colors would be around $150 (more if you picked a color they didn’t have on hand).

Something smaller, or single color would range from $100-$120, give or take.

The place I went to is located in Oregon City, Oregon. They’re called Blazin’ Hydrographics and they do really nice work.

3 Likes

Thank you! Yeah I am looking at maybe doing a couple 60% (one two piece case and one tray). Sounds like I could expect around ~100$ for each. Thanks again!

Ye that’s around the same pricing I have got when investigating cerakote prices.

After my initial success with recreating the Commodore 64 keycaps in this project, I’ve started looking into creating a custom low/mid-profile.

I’m currently doing a lot of research and here’s my first test batch. The shape of the top area is based on a superellipse, yet a bit more rounded not to have any parallel lines. The dish is a mix of spherical and cylindrical, with emphasis on a spherical center for the palm to rest on. To me, they feel quite cozy and smooth – it might even work for Cherry lovers :smiley:

In the images, the caps are angled and uniform aka stepped which is not ideal, but I’ve already shaped a row profile for equidistance with a six-degree angle. I’ll probably print those on the weekend.

Please feel free to express your experience and opinions regarding such an endeavor – thank you. :heart:

12 Likes